SUPER SATURDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: SUPER SATURDAY

Postby Harriet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:04 pm

Dee, she just turned 2, strong and healthy and headed into the Twos for sure. I need to adjust my thinking to "dgd2" I suppose, or Toddler C. Yesterday when she was inconsolable about being unable to reach her Daddy, even though she could see him through the window, she certainly reverted to "baby" for a while amidst the Terrible Twos.

Her big brother5 is strangely competent with her. I've never experienced such "parenting" in a 5-year-old. When she was hitting all the decibel levels and wouldn't let us horrible people near her, and I was trying to hit all the consolations of food, drink, entertainment, etc., etc., he said patiently, "Grandma, every time you say words, she will cry that much longer. Stop talking and she'll forget." Then he began to build a sofa-cushion fort around her tantrum spot in the floor, and she stubbornly knocked each cushion down over... and over... and over... and over... until finally it was more fun to be inside the fort and she left it up. She played with him and fell asleep on a cushion, still doing those hiccup-sobs. All the while, not a word from him, but before she fell asleep he told her nicely, "C, you are in jail now and you will be there for the rest of yourLIFE. :D It seemed comforting when you don't know what jail is, I guess, because she slept soundly.

Second load of laundry in, and I've lint-roller-ed. Next up, dusting.

TaDas include completing online registration for Angel Tree for the coming year, and renewing library books. I sent an email to dd18 to remind her to check her library account, too.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Cute baby story, Harriet.

Those short walls: KNEE walls or I've heard them called on tv PONY walls.

Yesterday was just a day to catch my breath and rest after such a busy work week.

Visit from DD has been cancelled until next month. Since we didn't have to save the goodies, DH and I had strawberry shortcake yesterday.

No plans for today. DH out working. I'm just going to putter around, which I've discovered helps tremendously keep things up and make little inroads into order around here.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Halfway up wall is called a Knee Wall.

Don't ask why I know that, I have no idea.

Do go and see (or since it is at second run theatres - rent) Hidden Figures. It was a wonderful movie. So glad I went with dh.

Edited the service during the drive to/from and only one page has to be printed again due to too many edits.

Still haven't decided about dinner. Not hungry at the moment due to popcorn consumption. And the theatre offers free refills on larges so I'll take some for tomorrow afternoon snack and the second diet pop is in the car waiting for my drive today.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:05 pm

DD came and picked DGD5 up. Not sure how long she will be gone. When DGD5 came back to our home after our short trip, she told me that she now lives with M (DD newest male friend). And she very hesitantly told me that she didn't go to school on Wednesday and was late for school on Thursday. I am fairly sure by DGD5 hesitation that she was told not to tell anyone. I didn't ask any questions but just listened to her chatter.

I spent an hour working in 2 gardens in front of the house. DS8 helped me which resulted in taking longer to get things done. HOpefully this training will pay off one day.

DH and DGD8 decided to go to BassPr* Shop an hour drive away. I passed on the outing. I desperately need some quiet time. I AM HOME ALONE!!

I have been wanting to see Hidden Figures but I would prefer not to sit in a movie theater. I just checked and it is available to rent online.
It feels like pure indulgence - feet up, fresh popcorn, favorite drink. No one one needing anything for the next 2 hours & 6 minutes.
Thank you Kathryn, for the movie review and idea to watch it!
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Wainscoating and chair rail were the words I was searching for, Lady M. Never had heard it called a knee wall. Interesting.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:35 pm

Knee wall is a half wall. Chair rail and wainscotting it the wood that is on some full size walls.

I've filed the taxes and printed off the revised page from the sermon. I've tidied up my work area and am about to unplug my computer.

Next I should finish packing (I've packed up my computer and sermon but not my clothing or food.)

Then there's the issue of me not having eaten lunch yet. That's going to slow my leaving this afternoon (the pub doesn't serve fajitas until 5 so we won't be going there, I'll drive up and eat on my own in Pembroke.)

I'll sign off now and sign back in again, probably after dinner.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Back from our walk. I have baked cookies. Rocks are sealed washed up a new batch of em. Trying a darker background doing stars for fun. Spiffed up another area of the counter. Laundry is dry & ready to fold. H is home we are thinking of grilling for dinner but weather is iffy.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 pm

YES -- Hidden Figures is soooo soooo good!!
We finally saw The Zookeeper's Wife last night. I highly recommend it also!
It is the true story of the people who ran the Warsaw Zoo when Germany invaded Poland in WWII. They hid Jews in the tunnels of the zoo after the zoo was taken over by the Nazis. Heartbreaking, as all things on this subject are, but sooo inspiring.
I just have so much trouble comprehending how the Holocaust happened... how so many people could have gone along with Hitler and enacted his insanity. It is just... beyond me. I keep thinking WHY didn't enough people rebel against him in the beginning before the. Oncentration camps were ever built. I just cannot understand and when I taught American History, I had nightmares about it.
But this movie takes place pretty much 90% at the zoo itself -- so it doesn't show a lot of the horrible images you see sometimes in movies like this. The courage of people like these who did try to help -- and saved HUNDREDS of lives -- is just awe-inspiring.
Tomorrow is another day.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Well, the mail lady delivered our mail just a little while ago, but I'm not going to get it just yet. We are having a nice spring rain, very much needed! Maybe this is the beginning of our rainy season! 8-)

We were up a little earlier this morning, had breakfast and cleaned up kitchen, made the bed and started weekly cleaning. Two loads of laundry are ready to start. Driveway is swept.

Ds#2 called on his way home from work; talked mostly about the hockey playoff games.

Just heard thunder; probably should unplug computers......
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:41 pm

I agree the Hidden Figures movie is a good one. Someone rang our doorbell while I was watching the movie, but I ignored them. That 2 hour movie time was mine and I wasn't willing to share it with anyone. The good thing about watching a movie at home is that I could rewind the part I missed when I feel asleep.

I have finally committed to homeschooling DS8 in the 4th grade. Now to start the curriculum selections.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”