THURSDAY TRENDS

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: THURSDAY TRENDS

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu May 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Elizabeth, we can do the same but don't get a charitable donation receipt. So that's a great way to get rid of orphaned (too few to redeem for anything) points but I'd rather take a gift card and get some value from the points. If we redeem only for gift cards we'll get about $2000 for the points we have. If we could grab business class seats places, they'd be worth closer to $10,000 but that's assuming I wanted to spend $10,000 going to places where and when the seats were available. If I just fly to Nova Scotia (some place I'm likely to fly), they are worth just a little bit more than if I get a Costco gift card. To be honest, the gift card is probably better value.

I think we'll just grab gift cards, leaving enough points in the accounts for a couple of trips to NS. Then, if there's an emergency, we can get there without having to spend full price. Getting to California costs only a little bit more than going to NS so the points aren't worth any more traveling in that direction.

Nebraska was hilarious. It is better value (twice that of a Costco card) but takes over 9 hours of travel time and 2 stops, instead of 4.5 hours and 1 stop. But we were planning to drive that trip and I think driving over 2 long days sounds less stressful than a day of travel starting with a flight at 6 a.m. and arriving after dinner time. Plus, once we get there, we don't have to rent a car! So driving is less expensive. And we could get hotel and gas gift cards to off-set the cost.

Harmony: it is best you used up your points even on something small. I'm still upset that I have a $5 credit at the froyo place that closed down! Every penny counts. Don't let the big corporations cheat you out of them.

helia

Postby helia » Thu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm

My trend for the last couple of weeks (or however long-- I'm not sure) has been to be absent from this site. When was I last here?? Life has been. . . plenty full, let's say. Good full.

Highlights:
* I taught at the church moms group last week and this week. Both seemed to go very well; this week seemed to resonate with the women even more. That's a nice way to end that part of my life. I'm not planning to be a part of this group next year.
* We hosted houseguests Friday - Sunday last week, friends from our church + small group who are on sabbatical (he is
Univ. faculty) and were en route from one site on the west coast to a 2nd site in Boston. They are a family of 6, including the most darling 3 month old baby!
* I helped move both ds and dd21 home, though dd21 may have already moved home when I was last here -- I just can't remember when that was.
* We've made progress with our trip to Toronto/Niagara Falls/ Stratford. We're staying in some airbnbs so I hope that turns out OK. We were too late for the decent hotels in Stratford. We've had success with airbnbs in the past, but I know some people have had bad experiences.
* There have been lots of extra meetings and appointments the last couple of weeks -- 2 moms group leadership meetings, haircut, vet, car repairs.
* I successfully ran 8 miles last Saturday! It went so well, that I wasn't the slightest light-headed or nauseated when I finished. In fact, my fastest mile was the 8th mile. I forced myself to keep a slow pace the first 5 miles, and then I let myself run whatever was comfortable for the last 3. I drank water twice and had a couple "energy cubes," basically blocks of sugar and electrolytes during the run, and those helped a LOT.
* Ds has graduated with his MSE in CSE. I'm both proud of him and a little sad as he'll be moving away in July. A little brag I would only share here -- during his entire undergraduate and graduate school era, he earned 1-3 A+s every single semester, and only got 2 A minuses the entire time, both earned during a semester his Jr. year when he didn't take dh's advice about his classes. The rest of his grades were just plain As. Dh thinks he would be quite attractive to PhD programs at top engineering schools, but he has no desire to do that right now. So, he shouldn't do that.

Today: I did my last teaching at the moms group and that went very well. The group was a lot smaller than last week's, maybe only 30 women were there. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep well or long last night, so I'm operating on about 5.5 hours sleep.

Goals for Today:
x1. Moms Group -- Teach
2. Laundry -- progress
3. Jog -- sprints today
4. Cook for and host Th. dinner -- except only one friend, RB, is coming, so it will be a quieter dinner.

Next for me:
- make a DPC
- sort laundry and start a load
- change clothes to get my jog done.

I might pop in later tonight, we'll see. Or, I might be so tired I'll just fall into bed the first moment I can.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu May 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Ha! My card points were worth probably less than a dollar. Not worth mentioning. I just wanted to get that card out of my wallet. I have too many of them.

PUPA all over.

Got receipts, etc. from our returns all logged. Got spreadsheets all caught up now. Gnarly formatting this time for some reason. Sometimes it goes fast, sometimes not. Guess it's cause we were so busy and the bills/checks follow.

helia, congratulations on DSs accomplishments.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu May 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi again! I am reveling in my freedom to post here! I have finally caught up on my emails. There are notes from two meetings that I should transcribe. I think I will need a migraine pill - I ate my lunch too late.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 pm

Hello to everyone!

I'm taking just a few minutes to look in here. I'm finishing up some things for Desk Day, paid some bills and filed receipts.

Congratulations to Helia's ds for his graduation.

Good to see you back Elizabeth!

Dh talked to ds#1 last evening. Dgs10 is in the ceremony for Cub Scouts moving up to Boy Scouts tomorrow and he wanted us to be there. I just talked with ds#2 and dgd15's spring concert is next week. I told him to let us know what day/time as I know dh will want to go to that also.

We made some turkey soup today using the bones and broth that had been frozen. We got two full ice cream tubs and a half of one; the full tubs will be frozen for future meals.

Time to go out and get the mail, I just heard the mail truck go down the street.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu May 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Trend here has been recovery from past few days with the grands, LOL!
I slept really late and then -- after s2s -- settled down in recliner to read.
Dmom called.
Now I'm cooking supper -- lemon-pepper chicken.
Music in the park again tonight.

Dh still not feeling well, but at least he IS sleeping better and has been able to stay in bed all night. Also seems to have more stamina, but still having shortness of breath.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu May 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Back from a walk w ddog. Folded one load of laundry. Having tv tech issues ack. H will not be a happy camper it is his turn. It was fine before lunch. :shock:

I figured out how long to cook the peas now after soaking them all night so the are soft learning as I go.

It is clouding up now. Plant sale this weekend rain will not hurt the plants but may effect attendance. 80* & muggy out now.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu May 11, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu May 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Dee - Congratulations!!! 100 day! I am thrilled for your consistency and progress.

Helia - Thank you for sharing that about your DS. It is a joy to hear that he did so well in his studies. Congrat's on EIGHT MILES!!! IMHO that is a huge personal accomplishment! I remember when you first started running and now you are able to do a 8 mile run. WOWsers!

Elizabeth = that is great news! I'm glad to see you able to CI more.

Homeschool this morning went well. It seems almost easy to do schooling when we stay in a routine.

Today was our last Thursday going to lunch, speech & volunteering at public school. I don't know if the school will agree to continuing our arraignment next year. I can't inquire yet because there are too many unknowns. DSon will continue with private speech therapy and it is unknown if he will still need speech therapy at school resulting in an IEP. I think next school year I will volunteer 2-3 hours a week with the struggling readers program if DS8 is attending public school part time.

>>>.Pause<<<<

I was writing this when DD called to ask if I would come rescue her from the side of the highway. Her truck broke down. I picked DD up on the road and then we got DGD5 from school. I then took them to where they are living now.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu May 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Waving hello to all! I've missed being able to check in today.

I was out of the house at 9 to meet with social worker at Jewish federation about dmom - got another opinion there to think on. (They also suggested hospice again, and I just don't want to go there - I think I want mom out of the house and out of my brother's hair.) I got her meals, then went to the grocery and stocked up for her - some fruits/veggies, canned beans (fiber + protein) and yogurt, eggs, string cheese for additional protein. At mother's house I visited with her and dbro - also started looking at some items in her pantry, turns out almost everything there has way past expiration dates, so I did some clean out and told dbro I'd clean up a little every time I went. (Found two items in freezer from 2012 :shock: )

On the way to dmom's I checked with home health care and they said aide to help with shower was coming sometime today. After hanging with dmom for a while, I went to a nearby assisted living place for a tour and discussion. The cost of assisted living, with the add-ons for additional services and memory unit would soon expend her savings, I think. Unfortunately, I think a nursing home is in the future because Medicaid will pay for it, but it would require expending her savings immediately.

I checked with home health care again about the aide for mother's shower and they insisted it was on the schedule - I came on home, still doubting, and sure enough, they didn't show up or call. I think the gal on the phone had it wrong somehow. Dbro says that someone told him earlier in the week that would be on Friday. So that means another trip to be sure mother takes shower and that dbro is nice to the home health care people.

I got home late afternoon and talked to dd about it all for awhile, then napped. I'm getting started on supper now.

Thanks for "listening!"

So glad Elizabeth can check in with us again!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:00 pm

I still have work to do in the basement but I got half done and vacuumed the half that is done. I will finish the other side tomorrow (fingers crossed) I will go through my office stuff and craft stuff hopefully/vacuum that side and then start bringing dd younger's boxes downstairs.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Post When You Can”