Wisdom for Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Wisdom for Wednesday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Lilac, you are right to be cautious. My tub is an insert over an existing tub and has a slanted towards the middle bottom. My bath mat wouldn't stay in place, it would slide to the middle because my feet would be sliding down. When it developed a leak, they put down a large patch and it is wonderful to stand on. While away, I was in a tub like it with a bath mat and the whole mat slipped suddenly. I flailed as I fell and grabbed the bar (thank heavens the tub had one) but my other hand flailed past the edge and knocked everything off the sink. If the grab bar had not been there, I would have fallen out, hitting the sink on my way.

I've printed off some activity sheets for NF11 and had a delicious lunch. I read about making a pizza with just tomato, not pizza sauce. Since I only make single serving ones, I'm always wasting the second half of the tin of sauce so this is a great solution for me. And the tuck shop sells tomatoes so I don't even have to plan ahead. Woot!

helia

Postby helia » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Working on class prep. I want to be done in 15 minutes so I can get my jog in and still have some time to do some dinner prep and spiff myself before I head off to payroll.

Lucylee, not helpful but just musing that dh and I have our secret thoughts that our ds22 might have a slight touch of aspergers. But we kept evaluating over the years, and he's always had friends and seemed socially more or less OK and the teachers never commented on it. We decided not to get it diagnosed. I think for him that would have done more harm than good. --Gosh, if any of my kids read this, that would be bad.

Elizabeth, your comments remind me of so much of dh's comments, I almost LOLed! He is awful at math facts to this day -- but clearly very strong in math or he wouldn't be doing what he's doing! In fact, he says real math is very abstract, and that kids don't even encounter real math until upper level University math classes. He calls the lower level math classes kids have pre-University - arithmetic. Even calculus is not real math, according to him. Hmm....LadyM, Not sure dh's designations are super helpful, but performance with math facts may not be a significant indicator of math ability. Maybe more an indicator of memory skills?

OK back to prepping so I can go run in the freezing cold. yay.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:00 pm

I have done some work out side spiffed up the coop took out excess roosts straightened them up, added fresh dirt for hens to pkay in, moved the nest boxes, cleaned the coop, and coop loft. Set up the heat lamp for when we get chicks. Found chicks in stock & more coming. I still need to set up feeders & chick waterers wash them up & fill em get feed and put down shavings for them. I have one more place to call and get a price on and check on stock avilability of the breeds I want this spring later year by a month bc of the long winter.

I did a gazelle work out this morning.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Morning...

I'm a rebel when it comes to math facts especially when it comes to kids/adults with learning disablilties.

If a child has has a disability with walking, we do rehab work and put a brace on it and watch him walk. If a kid understands the concepts of math.. +, -, x, and divide, just let them use a calculator and be done with it. Why frustrate a kid to the point of upsetting them. Sped Kids are ALLOWED to use a calculator in class as an accommadtion, but NOT on standerized, state or federal tests. Makes no sence to me. Same with spelling... dictionaries are allowed in class, even encouraged, but not on tests. Drives me nuts with my kids.

Don't get me going on this...
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 pm

I must have needed the nap. I set an alarm for an hour and woke up with the phone ringing about two minutes before the alarm was to go off. I was sleeping really hard.

I'm having an iced coffee and trying to figure out whether to load up the Goodwill stuff and books and take those to drop off (with a stop at the drugstore) or work on a.m. routine not done this morning. I'm not feeling very energetic either way.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:37 pm

I think I'm going to work here at home, perhaps go out later for these errands.

-clear kitchen counters (put rest of groceries away)
-empty dishwasher
-make the bed
-refill meds containers
-clear breakfast bar counter

And I'm off.....hopefully!

And another round.....
-put clock back up, dh took it down to change and didn't put it back up
-take out paper recycle from kitchen and my desk
-straighten MBR
-take 10 things off kitchen table
-sweep kitchen floor
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:48 pm

Got the feeders & waterers out of the shed ready to be washed up. Got the back window opening to work in the coop, got the floor in the coop swept ready for shavings. Roost kadder is back in the run. Bit by bit I am getting the chick list of to do checked off. Yea! Cord in a better spot is working out well.

Lunch is over.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Wisdom. Not sure, just the one I keep telling myself, "just keep on keepin' on". Many times I think that as I go to the next task that I don't want to do.

And I sure need a do-over today. I've wasted more time than I've used.

Problems with computer. Fire fox isn't playing well ever since I did that update. Today it crashed a couple times. When I log in here it tells me this isn't a secure site and makes me read a whole page of stuff. I kept having to reboot computer and ff wouldn't even shut down. Every other site seemed to work well. Finally I allowed it to send the report of the crash and the page so it would de-bug. And hours later, now, it seems to be working ok even though it is still telling me the site isn't secure. :roll:

Helia, that's awful about your income tax. I wish that stuff didn't happen. One reason I like to get my taxes in as early as I can.

Elizabeth, your new stove looks really nice. Gas models are always more expensive than electric, but I didn't think yours was bad at all. Here's hoping you get many trouble-free years from it.

Lilac, it concerns me that you might put down something on your tub bottom that is glued and permanent. What if you don't like it or want to replace with something else? I had a set of those self-adhesive textured decals one time that worked well. They were very pretty, the kind of pattern that looked like a splash! in the water but if I wanted I could peel them off.

Yesterday everything that could go wrong DID.

Today I've gone to county office with yet another plans change. I needed some shopping therapy so I did that on the way home. Then I stuck my head in my book for a while. Now I am ready to begin again, have moving furniture around on my agenda next and folding laundry. Waiting for a job ticket to come, was supposed to be here yesterday but it wasn't... and I talked with their office. I am slowly getting a better idea of how they operate. Once I know someone's system I can cope. If I don't, it is very frustrating.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:28 pm

I got my car registration into my car and took out trash and empty water bottles. Also checked mother's bank account and credit card.

I am doing one last round....

-put two boxes of Goodwill stuff in car
-scan the incident report for the accident
-try to call State Farm lady re my car repairs
-call Habitat re picking up wire shelves from closet for their ReStore
-go out to
-----drugstore
-----library
-----goodwill

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Hung onto the wisdom to just listen and not question. And to not cry until later. (Full story in J&C.)

Teaching part of the afternoon went well. I didn't work her hard, just slow and steady with breaks to colour pictures in between and then we'd write sentences about the pictures. I cut up resources and we'd move the words around. She's slightly beyond the work level of these sheets but I'll know that better tomorrow when I go over things again. She is great at sounding out words so that means that station is beyond her! (I wrote out stay-shun underneath so she will hopefully see that in her mind when she sees station on the page in the future.)

I then swung by the library to get some books. The librarian was a big help since my list was left in my other purse by accident. She was also patient with me as I teared up.

I came home since I figured being in public isn't the best idea right now.

We need to walk over to the store to get milk.

The snow is incredible. It keeps coming down. The parking spot near the NF's was not cleared so I ran the car straight in and backed up and then into the spot again, making an exit path for my tires. I could see how my front bumper had pushed the top layer of snow back. When I opened the door, it did the same, leaving the rest of the snow level with the door jamb. It was over 8" deep and well over the top of my boots. Driving home wasn't any better and the route home was down to one lane and worthy of being covered on the news, so I took a different route.

Return to “Post When You Can”