THURSDAY TA DAHS!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: THURSDAY TA DAHS!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Back from Tai Chi. Still heavily working on the left side and I'm still out of balance but not as badly as last week. She says by week 5 or so we'll be more balanced. Sigh....

Dh pointed out to me after that he's always had success teaching things to be learned by rote backwards. Start with the last move. Perfect. Then the second last move. It is explained by the teacher, then you do it and the last move (which you already know.) That way, each new move you do is explained and you do it and then the moves you already know. Today we did the move from last week a dozen times, then she demonstrated the next move a half dozen times, starting from a strange stance (mid-move from the first move) and we did that a couple of times, starting with the one we knew and then the one that was not fresh in our minds. With the last move, she said it once and we were to add that to the end of the two we had learned. I think dh's way is much better.

Picked up the parcel, went to the grocery store and then came home. I'll easily make my steps for today.

Having onion rings now as a reward for going to Tai Chi. Yes, I'm messed up in my reward systems!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:28 pm

I have pkkid her she is well. No shoes they could only find one but we have shoes here. I will have her one more a morning 7-9 mid week shift.
Ddog is content now she was excited when she 1st came. Poofers.
I need to make a call.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Sigh.
Now I know why Chief Troublemaker left me off the board emails. He made a motion to take another cat into the separate but equal program. Given that my last motion was to stop all intakes, it can be assumed that my vote is no. He also cc'd a non-board member, who is on the intake committee of the new program. This person also wants copies of the minutes I take. She will get them, because they are public documents taken for public records. I guess I know who they want to replace me on the board with. I come up for re-election in February. I don't really want to be part of the board (or this org), but I do want to take care of my current fosters. These are definitely the last fosters I ever take for them. The advantage to staying on the board is I can report to the separate but less equal (SBLE) cat program what those turkeys are up to. I've been with this org for about 17 years. I cc'd my vote to all the SBLE people. I will probably catch h*ll for it, but don't really care. What can they do, kick me out? I guess they could, but where will they put my four fosters? It would be a relief anyway.
Very big sigh.

I also cannot make my report tables line up. Not very productive today. Not very happy either. Every time I have to interact with the board, my heart starts pounding and my stomach gets unhappy. I want a drama-free life without evil people in it.

Speaking of evil people, I cannot imagine why the vet would not euthanize that rabbit (or treat it if it could be saved).

ETA: I have figured out why my tables did not line up properly!!! Will now proceed to fixing them all.

ETA2: My unemployed friend has decided to stay with the SOB. Bleah. He will probably come to my Halloween party, double bleah.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Home from volunteering at school.

(((Twins)))) my heart hurts for the decision you are having to make. I admire your throughness on collecting professions advice and seeking all options.

RR meantioned dog ownership affecting home insurance. Yup. The lawyers/court recently settled DGD5 dog attack that happened 2 years ago. I was shocked how large the settlement was. DSon/DDil put the entire amount into trust for DGD5 & DGS10. It will more than pay for 20 years of college at university of their choice (if both children decide to become specialized doctors, etc). I guess these type of dog attack settlements are the reason the home insurance companies are refusing to cover some breeds of dogs.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:34 pm

Some other ta dahs for me:
-spoke with our vet who suggests we try the meds for 6 - 8 weeks and do the behavior training and see if things improve.
-Picked up meals for dmom and visted, talke to dbro about ddog - he is fond of dog and finds it hard to believe that he could be so aggressive
-grocery store for big big load of expensive groceries
-unloaded and put away groceries
-finally got brisket out of freezer
-talked to dneighbor down the street about dog
-played outside with ddog and fell down, scraping a knee when I stepped into a hole he had been digging
-did the online repair request to send Chacos back to factory for another strap that was eaten
-called back the specialty vet, they never let me know whether to start the meds or not, left a message

Yes, I do understand the insurance issues. I have visions of being put on the witness stand and being asked if I knew he was unpredictable/aggressive. However, I do think that giving an opportunity for meds to help is reasonable, if I can just get them started... :roll: I'm considering going ahead with the beginning dose of meds this evening - he's due for heartworm meds so there is no interaction issue there, and the flea/tick is a collar that isn't systemic. I'm disappointed this vet hasn't gotten back to me, considering that she indicated she would do so this morning, and she missed the appt on Tuesday altogether.

So many issues - he really shouldn't be outside with out a "real fence" but I am unwilling to enforce it right now. I haven't heard back from trainer that worked with him about her thoughts.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:46 pm

Trying to continue my run of ta dahs.....
-empty out the bottom oven warmer/second oven and start cleaning cycle
-preheat oven for meat loaf and cut up butternut squash to roast
-empty the dishwasher (frustrated about having to run it so often these days....)
-start delicates (bras) in washer to hang dry
-straighten up formal DR, move plant from outside into corner, move summer pillows from front porch to garage storage
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:50 pm

I love the public school administration in our little town. At lunch today I told the elementary principal about DS8 speech needs and my efforts to get him the help he needs. Within an hour the principal had meet with Speech teacher & Supertindent about it. The speech teacher track me down to talk to me and recommended a multi-pronged solution. Then the principle & supertendent of the school tracked me down to ask if I was okay with the solution. It brought tears to my eyes how passionate & responsive they are for DS8 needs.

The speech teacher recommended that I seek both ways of getting DS8 speech therapy. Educationally though the school (IEP) and also private therapy which requires doctor involvement. She thinks DS8 would be best served to meet one-on-one with private speech therapist several times a week (medical insurance pays) and also for DS8 to receive speech therapy at school in a group environment. Instead of only doing 30 minutes of speech therapy a week, the school speech therapist recommends very intense speech therapy with DS8 doing 2-3 hourly sessions each week with private therapist. What we are currently doing is not working so I am so very relieved to have a new plan in place.
1. Know what you want.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:10 pm

I feel like I'm being sneaky. I shouldn't feel this way.
DDIL told me that DSon is a speaker at an upcoming technology summit. Out of curiosity, I looked it up online and found a recent photo of DSon along with his bio. DSon hates having his picture taken so photos are rare. I copied DSon new photo from the summit page. That's not being sneaky. It is on the internet. It is public information. I'm his Mom! I can collect his photos if I want and it is not sneaky or weird. :D
1. Know what you want.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:23 pm

No, you're not being sneaky, LadyM! Congratulations to your ds! And -- sooo happy to hear about the wonderful people in your local school, and the plan in place for DS8's speech therapy. Sounds great!

I don't feel I've added much to ta-da about, but I've been busy --
* scanned photo and emailed to dfriend (who requested this over a month ago) -- it's not a REALLY "dear" friend, LOL, more like a "business associate" of ds's actually. But he knew I'd be the one with the photos.
* cleaned bathroom mirrors (monthly task)
* copied pictures from phone to computer
* ran disk clean-up on computer
* went to appliance store, got new flapper for toilet, replaced that (with only a tiny bit of help from dh)

editing to add --
* ate supper
* put load of laundry in
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Had dinner and helped clean up.

Dd sent update on the birthing process. Monday will be the version (inversion is what I'd call it.) Need to look at my calendar and see where I'm supposed to be, when.

Return to “Post When You Can”