Make Your Mark Saturday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Make Your Mark Saturday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Got the children's story written. It took a long time but it is done and I'm pleased with it. When the minister asked if I'd help with the children's story, I misunderstood and thought it was a reading with two parts! Luckily, I clued in before Sunday!

Twins: Yes, you do go out a lot more than I do (most weeks.) Our events tend to be a lot shorter than yours so we aren't out for hours and hours at a time. And our culture doesn't have the number of parties that yours does. A confirmation is a church-only event, no big party after. Plus our congregation is smaller than yours so we don't have as many people to socialize with.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Dinner is all cleaned up except for starting the dishwasher. I'm waiting to add my tea mug.

I also hung up the load of laundry I started first thing this morning. Better late, than never.

We had to use the gas stove to take the chill off the main floor. I'm wondering about putting on the furnace to stop the house from getting too cold overnight.

I forgot to tell you the upshot of my registering for the recall on our HRV motor. Turns out we can either get a new motor for $150 or we can get a $150 rebate on a new unit. Dh wants to try installing a new motor so I'll send them payment instructions on Monday.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:20 pm

That sounds like very good financial news, Kathryn.

We also had good financial news from yesterday afternoon that I wanted to report. We had a medical bill that I'd been paying on faithfully and their office was sold. The new owner offered to drop SIXTY-FIVE percent of the total if we'd just pay off right away :shock: and we accepted, saving several hundred dollars and taking that bill right out of my Desk Day life.

Learn-something-new-every-day department: This evening I helped dd13 with her report on alcoholism for Health class. I did not know that alcoholism actually causes beriberi (remember learning about that funny-sounding disease discovered in the 1800s?) by blocking the assimilation of thiamine and causing the same disease in modern-day alcoholics. Today, beriberi occurs mostly in patients who abuse alcohol. She's also supposed to make a pamphlet and I told her to use that fact, because it would be one that would be different from most of the facts the teacher reads, I think.

A friend who was a student in the quilting class I had taught at our church passed away this morning. We knew that she had had a series of health problems and had moved away to an area near her daughter, but her death was a complete surprise to the church. I am hoping I'll be able to attend that funeral visitation, but it will depend upon the hour they choose.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Made some progress on desk day duties. Precious little, but some. And all but one of the bills are paid now which is a bit of comfort. That last one isn't due until October 11.

I really need to get going on the business books again since they've been languishing for a while. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:02 am

I'll probably be one of the last ones in tonight.

Kathryn, I'm happy to read you are getting some help with the ac motor.

Harriet, yay on your help with the medical bill. Every month faithfully I get my folder out and write checks to all we owe from DH's hip fiasco. One dr. made dispariaging (sp?) remarks about it to him during an office visit. :x Anesthesiologist office wrote off balance and returned our last check after we'd been paying a while. Hospital turned us over to collections even though we'd been paying, and we worked out a 50% off deal on the balance, pd all at once. sigh...neither of us are allowed to get sick for another year. Sorry about your friend, too.

Hmmm beriberi...reminded me we stopped at store on the way out to the beach where DH got a hot dog and I got a 3-berry sundae! Ate some and gave the rest to him. :lol:

And at the beach, we were singing the Hawaii-five-o song...da da da da D A da... with waves over our heads washing us way down the beach over and over.. I fought for about an hour just to stay even with our beach chairs... and getting out of the water was challenge, I finally let it just wash me in and I trecked way back up the beach on the sand. Good exercise today.

Reading my current novel tonight, had to look up Eshet Chayel on the net; I wonder if Twins family does that song/reading about her like they say..curious..

And yes, I don't go out much at night. I'm a hermit, and DH gets tired early; we used to do much more socializing. I guess we're showing our age.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 am

I read a few chapters this afternoon.
Finished my work out.
We do not go out much these days either.
Enjoying the clean house after the showing on Fri. today.

Return to “Post When You Can”