Monday Music!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Monday Music!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:30 am

Turn up the music and enjoy its soul-restoring and motivating power.

If you work in a business where you can't, play the music in your head instead.

I find music helps me stay on task - I won't wander out of the room and then get distracted because I'm listening to the music.

I find music helps me work more quickly when I have something peppy on.

I find music helps me eat less (I think it fills part of my soul that I'm trying to fill with food.)

I find music is the only way I can do exercise. On the treadmill I have three music playlists (Jon Schmidt, Meatloaf, TSO Christmas music) and sometimes the promise of hearing those is all that gets me onto the treadmill in the first place. When dh and I walk to the general store, I'm often playing a song in my head to help me keep up the pace.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Monday Music!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 am

Harriet: My Fellow Americans is one of my favourite movies too. Both funny and poignant since it shows a slice of all America, not just inside the Beltway. I was interested how much of the political backstory of An American President could be a back story of a movie set today. It's sad how little progress we've made. Wag the Dog is probably my favourite political movie.

Dh's friend is working on the new Muppet Movie so dh has seen some of the footage and we are excited about it. We'll be going to see it when it comes out because our friend worked on it, although we'd go anyway because we love children's movies and go to most of the good ones. Ds loves for us to take him because he enjoys kids' films too but his friends aren't likely to want to go with him.

I have an 'open' day. No external expectations on me and it is my minister's Sabbath so I know she won't be surprising me either. Probably the focus will be paperwork.

helia

Postby helia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 am

Good morning! I love working to music too.

I am looking at a fairly "normal" week (meaning, not too many extra meetings, I'm not teaching, I'm not leading small group, no Hebrew exam - the midterm will be next week), which is very refreshing!! Almost downright exciting!! We'll see if it stays that way. There are a couple things I do need to get on the calendar this week that aren't there now, a meeting with the contractor (dh wants to redo the upstairs bathrooms; they do need to be done, but I'm not sure I would do it now. . .) and meeting with a dfriend who has agreed to take some photos of ds that we can use as Sr. photos.

Dh and ds are currently in Boston visiting a couple Universities, so it is just the girls and me today. They'll be back late tonight. Last night I noticed how different it is to prepare (and clean up) a meal for 3 rather than 5.

I need to not get distracted by this little machine. I had the kitchen reclaimed by 7:30 a.m. and it is now 8:45, and I haven't done much of significance since, other than work on my weekly and daily l**ts and make a library request for next book club book and clear some emails out of my inbox.

I am sporting a mild headache so I have taken an Advil.

I think my focus today will be errands.

Next:
-finish a.m. routine
-devo. time
-make groc. list
-errands done

That should keep me busy this morning!

Have a great day all!

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 am

I love, love, love working to music. What I'm doing tends to determine what sort of music I listen to ..it could be anything from classical or relaxation music to Meatloaf to Billy Joel to TSO to brass band marches to oldies to even *gasp* country! :P

Today is back to payroll *sigh*. It's been fun, but now it's back to the salt mines. I seriously hope they were able to at least somewhat keep up with my work while I was gone...it sort of ruins the whole holidays feeling when you come back to find yourself three days behind. :roll:

I need to call the office this morning. Yesterday afternoon, DS and I were watching something on TV when he asked, "What did you put in the dryer??" There was a dreadful banging noise coming from downstairs! :shock: Turns out the dryer is fine...it was the washer, and it looks like the entire wash tub inside the machine has come loose. I'm not sure if they can fix it, or if they'll need to replace the unit (it's a stacked washer/dryer). I sure hope they can get to it fairly quickly, or I'll have to resort to finding the nearest laundromat to wash things! Oh! DS tells me the one in the little mini strip mall across the street is still open as far as he knows.

Since I have to leave for work in an hour, I guess I'd better get myself moving here.

- upstairs critter care
- get dressed/washed, etc
- make bed
- swipe bathroom
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 am

Bittersweet, the upside to a laundromat is you can do multiple loads at a time. And it is forced 'downtime' so you can take a book to read.

I'm s2s. My eye is acting up today so I may have to change the goal of paperwork. That might explain why I was sleeping so much. I'll put drops in after breakfast.

I came down to the kitchen a good 90 minutes after the last power flicker (it was flickering through the night) and reset all the clocks. Not a minute later it flickered again. Sigh....

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:15 am

Good point, Kathryn! I can take a book or a crocheting project, and enjoy some guilt-free me time! :D If the washer isn't fixed or replaced by Thursday, that's what I'll do.

Got my round done, and DH is now home and tucked into bed. DS is just heading out the door for work, and I need to leave in about half an hour - just enough time for one more quick round after I finish my coffee.

- downstairs critter care
- take out trash
- put away clean dishes
- pack lunch & snacks
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37 am

I forgot to pick up the newspaper on the school run, so turned on the tv for my ddad and found R and KL, but evidently he found something silly about it and changed. He found Dr P of all things, but it is Dancing With the Stars day so maybe that counts for music around here. I'm glad he felt confident to turn the station. Usually he asks one of us to work the remote. Have made another trip to the paperbox now, so he has his favored entertainment!

I've done most of the MDCard and extra trash collecting around the house, spiffed some in our bathroom.

Have had a smoothie with fresh peach.

I'm a little worried about dd, who had a tummy-ache through the night.

Today is my ddad's hemotologist appt at 2. HRH thinks he will be able to take us. I don't know what I'd do if he still had the management job he did when we were first married, with long hours and constantly on-call. With two straight work-week days dominated by appts for my ddad, I'm sure I'll hardly see HRH the rest of the week.

On tap for later in the week, dd needs to be taken shopping to find a birthday gift for a costume party she will attend Sat. I'll be taking her to the sleepover Fri when she gets out of school, so that moves the whole shebang up. We also need to make clothes plans pretty soon and make sure she is packed, since there's so little time after homework each evening. Because It's complicated by being a costume party, she will almost need to carry the gift plus two small suitcases. Or, a suitcase and some simple hanging bag - I'll have to think that through. And I mustn't forget to wrap the gift until the last minute like we did last time!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:06 am

Not been too energetic this morning. Do have the dailies done and the house picked up.

DH was in earlier and noted that his boss told him he plans to turn the water off in the park on Friday, October 28th. Wow! That will be early if he can actually pull it off. That means we'd be on the road before or by noon on Monday. The downside to that is that it means we'll be moteling it for 6 nights! Ouch! We have reservations in Nashville for Thursday & Friday night that week. Guess we'll be able to take our time at least. We'd been worrying we might have to speed up the trip that far. Might decide to go a couple of friends on the way in that instance. Will make a difference on how I pack.

One thing I'd best do this A.M. is take a look at my dwindling October calendar on the computer.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:09 am

It's quiet h. is sleeping and I'm enjoying the quiet and it's foggy here today 41-64* is the temp. range for us. Will be 70* mid week here yea!

I'm up; I've picked up the bathroom, and the kitchen a bit it needs more however.
Trying to round up grand kids items as their folks will be back tomorrow.

Dishes need to be put away.
Laundry needs attn. here.

I've been thinking of my food vices and yesterday learned that the church is having a fast this week. Black coffee here so far today. B.S. was acceptable but a bit on the high side.

Noticed that Christmas count down begins on Sun.
I made up a puppet yesterday.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:13 am

I have a nice collection of metal and punk running through my head. I survived the Girl Scout camporee with 900 girls and similar number of adults. It was a cold Sunday morning though, in the 40s. I also survived a 10 year old's birthday on Sunday and had dinner with a friend, so no lonely dinners. Slept well, got up well. At payroll I have nothing to do, which is always a worry. I have got to fax some permission forms to the library when it opens and find out where this weekend's girl scout activity is being held. Tonight I may be having dinner with friends, I hope, otherwise I am by myself again.

Return to “Post When You Can”