Tip toeing Tuesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
OKay

Re: Tip toeing Tuesday

Postby OKay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Supper is done. Quick N easy. Sliced brisket, pinto beans, tossed mix greens salad, cottage cheese. Kitchen is restored to MM. LO is quite the helper now. He loooooves helping and always want to dry the dishes and put them away. He can reach the plate rack and the silverware drawer so those are now his tasks to do. OH! And push the chairs up to the table and help wipe the table off. :shock: I didn't realized how much he has learned to help with until I wrote it down.

Norma - I am FB friends with Cathie from Eugene. She hasn't changed a bit. Still a lovable character with a quick sense of humor. :D

Harmony - I am impressed how quickly and efficiently you and DH are able team up and get through a project. Our projects seem to drag on FOOOOORRRREEEEVVVEER. We are constantly doing just a little and then switching to a different focus/project. DH started working AGAIN on antenna project yesterday, but stopped to fix lawn mower wheel, then moved on to MPB owie. The antenna project is going to be a year long effort at this speed. This is NOT a complaint about DH - he has his priorities right - just an observation how slllloooooowww we are getting things finished and how awesome you and DH plow through to completion of a project.

DH is currently working on drilling one of the MPB steel boxes that collect the $$. One of the door parts broken and after consulting several people it was decided the only way to get it open was to drill it out. Drilling inches of steel without messing up the entire box (about $10k to purchase replacement) is a sllllllooowww process.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Harmony - No more rain for us. It was a wonderful refreshing 3" of moisture, but we are still in drought and burn ban status. I recently heard we are 17" behind on rain this year. That seems too much, but I guess the weather people track those kind of stats.

I just received a back order of a book I ordered weeks ago. I had forgot about it, so the unexpected arrival was fun. The bookis about the Tabernacle in terms that I can understand and HOPEFULLY teach to LO and the young ones at church. I really like the way the mylar overlays show the tabernacle layers. I guess I must be visual learner because just reading about it didn't stick with me the way the overlay/pictures do.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Home late again and another long day. I did leave at lunch and pick up meds for dd, a chocolate bar and gift card and get those into the mail for her. I'm going crazy trying to get personal stuff done before we go away, I'm spoiled by working part-time.

My back also aches. I moved my lumbar back cushion to the chair I'm using at someone else's desk, but my back aches.

I'm also going to post in Members only.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 pm

Dinner is done and I'm doing dishes now but got distracted.

Dh had Chinese and I had a frozen lasagna. Then some muffins from the other day. (Bran, homemade, not bad for me.)

I made up the buttercup squash I had in my fridge. It was much harder to do anything with than the butternut squash. It smells like a pumpkin so I'm roasting the seeds now, except I can hear them popping in the oven now. Interesting.... We'll see if they taste the same.

In the meantime, I made up the squash with apple, cinnamon and brown sugar. It took forever for cook so I didn't have it for dinner but have saved it for tomorrow night. I didn't like it in junks so have mashed it all together.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Dee, does your bs level still seem good?

Think so, Harriet. Last few days: 87, 94, 89, 100, 94, 77, 93, 145, 122, 89,113, 119, Fairly consistent.

Had teeth cleaned this afternoon and x-rays done. He only found 1 spot where a small corner of a tooth had broken off. He'll fix that on Monday morning. Not even a cavity. Whew!

Then have to get through Dr. appointment on Wednesday. Hoping I can keep the BS going at this rate so I can show her what's happening lately.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Harriet, to answer your question, I loved touring and being in the Ryman Auditorium. Also, the food on the General Jackson Riverboat dinner theatre was excellent and the entertainment was a fantastic hour of 6 young singers, 3 male and 3 female singing songs from each decade. They were each so talented.

I am about to give advice to Dee, but I am sure the same thing could and does happen in any big city. When we went downtown to see the various sights that are Nashville, you had to use parking meters. It was 25 cents for 10 minutes and you could only put in 2 hours worth of quarters. So you have to pay attention and go back to feed the meter again when your 2 hours is up. The second day we arrived downtown early and came upon several empty pay to park lots. We pulled up and I got out to read the info. Out of nowhere a scruffy black man came up and told me to use his lot because it was only $15.00 a day opposed to this lot which was $17.00 a day. There were large meters on poles, one at each end of this lot and he indicated his was the south one. We drove over there and dh jumped out of the SUV to smoke. I am trying to get my money out and dm is saying "he is watching you". About that time the guy jerked open the door, grabbed the $15.00 out of my hand and threw a crumpled ticket on the dash and slammed the door. We immediately got out and started reading the sign, which says you are only to use the machine, do not give money to a person, etc. This sign says that it is $15.00 for 2 hours. So we start questioning the guy and he is saying it is fine, blah, blah, blah. When he realizes that we now know that we had been scammed, he took off. Evidently, dh was enough of a threat to him that he just took the money instead of grabbing my purse. I had way too much cash, my credit cards and our tickets for the Opry and General Jackson. I hated being scammed but was thankful it was just the $15.00. On top of that I knew better than that, but he just caught us off guard. So please, dfriends remember this story and don't become a victim, too. On Saturday night we were going to the late show at the Opry and decided on a restaurant. We put it in the GPS and where did it take us, but downtown Nashville. That place was hopping and people were everywhere. There were people holding signs for using their parking spaces or lots. We decided that we would rather eat anywhere than down there in that madhouse and we went to a safer area closer to the Opry to eat.

On Friday we are going with dd and dsoninlaw to see a lawyer about drawing up our contract. I went to the bank today to get the packet of forms to fill out. Ugh, now I know why I have stayed put for 15 years. I hate dealing with these things. Dh bought his last Harley in Feb. and on the 20th, I will make the final payment. We pay our credit cards off monthly and have no other debt. Our credit is excellent but I still hate having to deal with this, but there is no other way around it.

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier but dd2 said that I can start bringing things over and putting them in the toy room. I plan to sort as I pack. No sense moving things I don't need, etc. I want to get the 2 small bedrooms that I now use for storage cleared out, so that we can take pictures, and then can list it on For Sale By Owner.com. Selling this house ourselves makes me nervous but I don't want to pay a realtor 7% if I can help it.

Better get the dishwasher loaded and running...............

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 pm

ci:
Lilac -- that is so scary -- the guy in the parking lot! Wow. I am just relieved he didn't knock you in the head or something.
We go to Nashville at least twice a year and have never had an experience like this, but we normally park in the parking deck right beside the Ryman if we are downtown. We have parked in those lots like you described, however, so I am just giving thanks tonight that we haven't encountered the scam-artists. * whew *

I appreciate all the great thoughts so many of y'all gave me after my rant yesterday. I'm still kinda torn, but definitely leaning to the point of view that I should stay the course, stick with my plan, and teach one more year. It IS a LOT to think about, though, and I do need some prayers.

I've helped dmom @ Walmart today and went out to their house for a while... then to the nursing home to listen to ds, and help w/a little birthday party ddil & some of the patients gave him... and then ds, ddil, dh & I went to local steak house for supper.
Dmom drove herself to Walmart, but it was pretty exhausting for her by the time she finished shopping, and she didn't want to wait on rx to be filled, which was taking FOREVER, so I waited for that and took it to her.
She said ddad was depressed also, worrying about himself b/c doctor again "mentioned" possibility of future chemotherapy at some point. I told her doctor ALWAYS mentions this as a scenario as a future possibility. As ddil said, ddad is going to worry himself to death before he ever develops leukemia. * sigh * Ddad definitely needs to get back to work. I think dmom said they are waiting on a PO from some business before he can start next job.

I think I'm going to go to the education website and see if I can figure out any better information re: retirement pros & cons.
Tomorrow is another day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:47 am

We will be following closely in your footsteps, Lilac. Have tickets for the Ryman on Friday, Nov 4th and for the Gen. Jackson on Thursday, Nov. 3rd. I will definitely relate your tale to dh tomorrow! I've been wondering if there might be a shuttle downtown from our hotel area (staying out near the GOO theater. Think I'll look that up also tomorrow. Better than trying to park downtown. Thanks for the 'heads up'. As much as we think 'safety' around the city here it always seems safer in other ones for some reason, when we know they're all alike. there's good and bad in every place.

I'm obviously experiencing insomnia. Mind is racing with all sorts of things to do in the next less than 2 weeks. We should be able to really take our time heading to Nashville. Our hope is to maybe get to Erie, PA that first Monday night. Know the big rec hall has to be 'drained' that day first -sprinkler system and then our RV will need to be winterized. That will be the tricky couple of hours. Suppose if I really needed to use the bathroom I could go up to dcampowner's ddad's house. It's the only house on the grounds.

Our closest friends here will leave today and other dneighbors plan to leave on Friday. After Sunday I think it will be pretty empty here.We can't leave before October 31st -no matter what. Have obligations until then.

Been thundering here. Perhaps now I can fall back asleep -off to see.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Post When You Can”