MONDAY MINUTES

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: MONDAY MINUTES

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Our door bell is broken! Bad night for that (plus it took as a while to figure that out!)

We are up to 34 monsters so far and we've only been 'open' for 40 minutes. I have enough chocolate bars for 45 and then we switch to Cheetos.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Only six trick-or-treaters here, and one of the six was carried - just along for the ride. They were all little ones who came by just after dark. I just shut off the outside lights and lights at the front of the house, and am taking my book upstairs. It is a school night, so I think any who come by later would be the older kids who have been out all evening.

When we first moved here, it was a much younger neighborhood and we got lots and lots of kids coming by. Now I think kids are going to the younger, newer neighborhoods. We're also on a cul-de-sac, and I think a lot who are out make the turn down the side street and don't come to the cul-de-sac.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

helia

Postby helia » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:54 pm

We got zero trick-or-treaters tonight. Our porch light is still on, but I'm doubtful we'll get any at this point.

Ds has submitted his 2 early action applications so that is done. I think there will be a 2nd wave of regular applications in a couple months, but he has now completed the common app, and all the 2nd wave universities use it, so he'll just need to write each university's supplemental essays. Anyway, this is big to be through this initial set of applications.

Dh is off. Dd13 and friend got back an hour ago. They went to the neighborhood next door where the kids' elem. school is located - and where the middle school is located. It is so crowded over there that they actually block off one central road now. In the past, it was difficult just to walk down the sidewalks, they were so packed with people. Dd13 said they had to wait in line at some houses this year. Last week, I talked to a friend who lives on that blocked off street, and she said she was supplied for 500 trick or treaters but wasn't sure that would be enough.

Dkids have just left with Pepper in her sunflower costume to go visit dfriends S and R. I'm going to study Hebrew. Funny, how that has gotten shoved to the back burner all day. ..It's not like I don't enjoy it. :?

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 pm

Happy Halloween! We always get lots of trick-or-treaters. I have 3 big bags of candy and it will probably be gone by the end of the night. It's only 5:50 here, so we haven't gotten any kids yet - still light outside. Usually it starts about 6:30pm. I decorated outside and inside this year. I'm in a Halloween t-shirt and vest, with a witch's hat to put on later for the older kids. The younger kids get too scared and they usually come early.

Have a good night everyone.

OKay

Postby OKay » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:19 pm

No trick-n-treaters here. I have a bowl of quarters ready to hand out if someone did show up. :D

LO did trick-n-treat at about a dozen homes (family & friends). He had NO interest in wearing a costume and took it off 3 times during our route. He only wanted glow sicks in his bucket and kept emptying out the candy and giving it away (which made his brothers very happy!) :lol:

I'm glad everyone is safe and had a good time.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Our total was 47 which was a bit higher than the last few years. Ds went out and walked around the block at 8. Seeing no-one we cleaned up but left the sign up to knock and a group of middle school kids came by, bringing us over the 45 we had chocolate for so we broke out the cheetos.

Dh's conference call ran over an hour and when it was done we watched the Big Bang Halloween episode from last week.

Ds has gone home now so dh and I are off to bed. I had a very good balanced day, more paperwork done and steady work on the chores (plus ds's visit and Halloween.) That makes three productive days in a row, perhaps a record for me.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:24 pm

No trick-or-treaters here. And we waaay over-bought on the candy. Had a coupon that called for three bags, so we bought three bags. :roll: I'll carry some to school tomorrow.

I must print out some stuff for school tonight, b/c I'm having HUGE problems w/school computer. AGAIN.
Also must grade last set of book reports.
I've washed a load of clothes, talked to dfriend on phone, and of course, we did the Monday round of W*lmart & drug store, plus bank today, since it was payday for me. DH will probably get his check tomorrow or next day.
For some reason, I left drug store w/out one of dfil's rx's, and I'll have to go back there tomorrow... plus will probably need to go out to dparents' house tomorrow -- haven't seen them since last Monday, I think -- although I have talked to them just about every day. I believe she will go back to doctor next week.

Ddil has appt w/doctor next week also. This IS exciting. Of course I'm a little bit scared to death... but it IS exciting. :D

So good to see Sadie tonight!!! :idea: Sadie -- Did you see my question re: the vacuum cleaner I'm looking at on W*lmart.com? El*ctrolux Oxyg*n. That price won't go UP before Christmas, will it? What are the chances it will go down even more if I wait till Black Friday?

(((OKay))) Sending lots of good wishes your way.

I'm just about to fall asleep right now... I don't know how in the world I will stay awake to grade those papers, but I really, really need to get them done.
Maybe 15 minute bursts w/the timer?

I paced around the house while talking on the phone, so I am counting that as exercise. It wasn't very strenuous, but I was moving. I didn't have to be moving. Yesterday while talking to dbro, I just lay down on the bed. At least I was moving tonight. :? :P
Last edited by lucylee on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 pm

No trick-or-treaters here. And dd didn't choose to go. I wonder if we disappointed anyone.

We enjoyed the same show, Kathryn.

Ah, notoriety lucylee. Congratulations I presume!

I can't believe it is this late and I still have dishes to do! Poof and goodnight.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 pm

NO... no congratulations... no notoriety... they just caught me off guard wanting a comment for a story. I'm sure it'll be okay, but I'll feel better when I see it in print and I'm sure I don't sound like an idiot. I said I was going to Members Only, but I decided to just not worry about it. It'll be fine.
Tomorrow is another day.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 pm

dd2 brought a SWAT team member, a ninja, a leopard (dgd2) and T inkerbell (dgd6months) by to Trick or Treat. Dd2 had on a mullet wig and sunglasses. We got a laugh out of that. Dd1 is leaving tomorrow after school to go to a conference and will be back Friday. Originally she had told dd2 that she couldn't go with them to trick or treat, because she needed to pack and get to bed early. Later dd1 called and told me that she ended up going. She said she didn't want to miss out on that, because she has went with them every year since they moved back. I ended up with 5 other trick or treaters. 3 had scary masks and they were big guys. I was really creeped out. Then 2 more came with no masks or costumes. They were all very polite. Of course the grandma in me told them to have fun and be careful. Both dds left their dhs home to hand out candy. They both had a lot of candy to start with and ended up with just a little left. Next year I will have to be prepared for a large amount.

The loan officer from the bank called today and our loan has been approved. I have to set up the house insurance tomorrow. She says they will call me tomorrow when they get the disclosure papers ready. She claimed it was 40 pages. Yikes. After we return those, we will tell them who we want to do the inspections and they will order them. She said we should be done in 30 days or less.

Today dd2 gathered up their coins they have saved in the last 2 years. I have them loaded in the trunk and will take them to the bank tomorrow for her. My bank has one of the coin counters. I am anxious to see how much it amounts to because I can't even guess. She says that it will go in her new dining room furniture fund.

Yuck, I just happened to glance down and there was a big spider on the carpet. I grabbed the flyswatter that I keep by my computer and I smacked it so hard that the stupid thing flew up and about hit my face. That was really smart of me. :roll:

I have a few other errands tomorrow and then will help dd2 pack. Today we mainly spent the time straightening up the mess. Dh told me that after being over there on Saturday during the garage sale, he probably changed his mind 3 times and he could see why I had been getting so stressed over there. I just hope she can get a handle on the new house. She needs to start making those kids pick up after themselves. That would go a long way in keeping things under control.

Guess I better head to bed.................

Return to “Post When You Can”