Winter Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Winter Wednesday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:10 am

It is another not-snowy day here.

Yesterday we had rain and that washed the rest of the weekend's dusting away.

So we are suffering dull Pacific coast weather. Except I don't live there!

Dh played hookey all afternoon yesterday and when I thanked him, he said that he just didn't feel like doing anything with this weather. I agree. Maybe that's why I'm more productive at night.

Because the weather is so out of sorts right now (we have had a very unusual fall) people are out of sorts too.

Are you in synch with the weather or is it pulling you down too?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Winter Wednesday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:21 am

How unusual is my weather?

No snow isn't unusual, we've had one or two green Christmases in my life and a few more when snow didn't arrive until the 20th or later.

BUT it is far too warm here. Yesterday it was in the 40s. I killed two flying insects in the car last week and yesterday dh was bitten by a mosquito in our bathroom. By October most outdoor insects are dead or hibernating.

In my back garden one perennial has come back to life, bright, healthy green in a garden of dormant brown plants. My sister's forsythia has budded (my climate is enough harsher than hers that mine hasn't yet.)

I love not having to wear boots but this unusual weather is disconcerting and certainly does nothing to put me in the Christmas mood. My main tree still isn't up and won't be until next week because I'm just not interested in doing it.

Thank heavens I have a SAD light to help steady my mood although the past couple of days I've been all over the map (but TOM is due on Saturday so that will pay a role.)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:25 am

The weather here is still pretty mild -- in fact, dh said it was supposed to be over 70 degrees today! I love it -- I want to delay winter as long as possible. But it has been sorta up & down this season -- we've had some snow flurries already, and I think it's gotten down into the 20s a few nights.

Last night I said (to Twins) that my vacuum cleaner was at the "service center in your center." :?:
I told y'all I was kinda foggy last night. That should have said, "the service center in your town." * sigh *
I do hope the lady at local store gets some information today. I'm not a clean-freak by any means, but a month with no vacuum cleaner is beginning to wear on my nerves, too. The dust bunnies are really growing around here.

Today's main goal: Grade papers & prepare midterm exam!

I got about 9 hours' sleep last night, between 7:00 p.m. & 6:00 a.m. -- so I hope I have a little more energy for those papers now.
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:46 am

Lilac I don't necessarily judge you for having so much p faltzgraff. I went off to check it out and some of those patterns are gorgeous.

With my grandmother's table that seats 14 easily, I obviously must have the china that came from my grandmother's. That's now a set for 22 (was 24 before breakage.) Plus I have my own set of 12 from my first marriage. And an antique fine china set of 18 I bought by accident when running up the bidding at an auction. Plus assorted china serving dishes (the fine china set also has fruit nappies and cereal/soup bowls as well as 3 covered and 2 uncovered serving dishes and two gravy boats, got the whole set for $80 you can see why I didn't expect to get caught in the bidding!) I also have a reasonably large collection of silver serving dishes from my mother and grandmother.

In cutlery, I have my set of 12 plus a set of 8 from one grandmother (her set of 24 was divided amongst the three children) and a set of 6 from my other grandmother. All of these are plate not sterling because I let my sister have the sterling. Oh, and my mom's everyday silver was plate as well. So I have two silver chests, plus a set in storage in the basement and another set in cloth silver keepers in the bottom of a drawer in the dining room.

And I love it all and use as much as I can as often as I can. But I could be doing more entertaining in order to not waste this blessing.

But you'll get an "am I crazy?" post from me when it is time for me to downsize!

(The auction china was supposed to be dd's when she grew up but if she takes any, it will be my grandmother's because her dh likes it better. Maybe ds will take another set when he gets married and then I'll have a reasonable amount of this stuff.)

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 am

Good Morning!

I am S2bf and back in bed snuggling with LO so he will sleep as long as possible. If I counted right, he has missed about 10 hours of sleep in the last 4 days. Hopefully he will not get sick from lack of sleep and will be able to catch up on his sleep when we get home.

Thinking of Twins and Sunny as they have extra busy activities today. Hope Twins flight goes smoothly and Mr Sunny "unveiling" reveals nothing unexpected.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:30 am

We've had weird "winter" weather here, too - temperatures up and down, snow comes and goes...it sure doesn't do much for the Christmas spirit thing. There's no snow in the next week's forecast, and no daytime temps lower than perhaps 20F. The last time I remember a no-snow Christmas was in 1997, and it began to snow on New Year's Eve. Hoooooooooooooo boy did it snow!!

Today begins my last stretch of five days in a row at payroll (yes, I know most people work five days in a row, but we work 10 hour shifts with no official lunch break). Then I get my three weeks of more or less holidays...lol..I'm only scheduled to work four days between Dec 19 and January 8th, but I still get paid as if I was there 40 hours/week :D

I have an hour before I have to leave for work, and I MUST S2S before then! Off I go..........
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:31 am

In 48 hours I have to be ready for the mover. eek

Just wanted to check in here. Dh thought I was upset about not having cable until Wednesday. I was upset at not having the internet. But like dh pointed out, it won't be like I don't have anything to do.

Better hit it. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 am

Good morning, villagers ~

I have been limiting computer time in order to get ready for Christmas. Almost done with the gift buying, 3 things left to pick up and then it will be down to the cooking. I will do a little decorating this weekend.

I know there were replies from cuop but I'm not awake enough to remember them right now ...

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:53 am

Good morning it's cold out here snow tomorrow is in the forecast.
I've sorted the squash seeds and put some out for the squirrels.
BS is up today 1/2 apple before bed was not the best snack idea! LOL! Go figure had cheese too and glad I was in my calorie range for the day when I finished tracking it.
Pumpkin smoothie for breakfast soon as I"m done with my coffee.
Granny duty today begins in like 5 min. :shock:
s2s ~*poof*~ gotta get the cookie dough out of the freezer.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am

Lilac If I had to go through so much without being in contact with my friends here in the village to remind me that I'm doing great and life will continue no matter how I feel at the moment, I'd be upset too. To give up cable at such times? No sweat. Just don't mess with my internet access!

Lucylee When Sears did a similar thing with my vacuum, I just went upstairs to the appliance department, bought a new one, put one of my bags into it and used it until mine was returned. When I went to pick up mine, I returned the 'new' one. I had asked them for a loaner but they couldn't do that so I abused their satisfaction guaranteed policy. As far as I was concerned, they had abused my patience as a customer and offered me no compensation for unreasonable delays caused by their incompetence so I didn't feel guilty at all about my actions.

I'm cleaning out and inventorying my pantry cupboard in the basement. Did you know I had 150 16 oz colours cups, 125 foam coffee cups, 500 napkins of assorted sizes and shapes, and plastic cutlery for 80? Neither did I!

Anyway, I allowed 30 minutes for the task. Hit repeat after the first 30 minutes and when the timer went off again it wouldn't stop and now none of the buttons work. Dh is going to remove the batteries and try and fix it. It was a present last Christmas and has many great features (including 2 countdown timers) but has also been flaky all the time. We should have returned it when we took it back to the store because we couldn't get it to start working but they fixed that so we left with the timer.

So I'm taking a break but I'll need at least another 15 minutes to finish my clean out and then I'll need 15 to type up the list of what is in there.

I've marked dd's pasta maker (a kids one) and a couple of other things for removal to a new home via Goodwill. Found a lovely tea tin which I'll put up on top of my kitchen cabinets as decoration. It was storing another 40 sets of cutlery.

Return to “Post When You Can”