Winter Solstice Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: Winter Solstice Wednesday

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Kathryn, greasing the window latches reminds me driver side door lock is not working. It's always been touchey but now when I unlock it with key all the other doors unlock except that one. I have to go in passenger side and reach over and use the handle, then because there's a middle console I get out and walk around to get in. I did that all day long for 2 days while out shopping.

I'm afraid to mention it to DH because I see a major tear-apart-the-door project looming with a "help me with this" request a/k/a order. He's out with the car now, and I'll be able to tell if he's locked the doors while out.

Started in with the Christmas packages, but spent all this time getting the receipts in order, matched up with gift receipts which have no items on them, writing what they're for on the back, doing my bookkeeping of receipts and putting gift ones in envelopes for DDs. Otherwise they get lost in the mass of wrappings everywhere.

In beween all this I fielded sev. phone calls and hung up load of whites. I feel like my wheels are spinning today.

Sadie

Postby Sadie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Hello dear ladies,

I got my weeklies done already for the week! :D :D :D

I even went out and picked up bits of trash off the lawn that get blown here and settles. It was sunny but cool.

We are enjoying a no heat needed day here. Night time might be different, once the sun goes down it gets cold.

Work day for me. I will work 4 days and then off for 3(Christmas is on Sunday)

Enjoy your day!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Sadie had the day I was going to have.

I'm a slug today. It must be the weather.

I did start in on booking Vegas. The rates have gone from $600 per person to $1200 for the first week but are still cheap for the last week. Dh will likely be going to England in the middle two weeks so that won't work for us. Sigh.... I'd rather not get home on the 6th and leave on the 9th for South Africa, but that's likely what will happen.

I booked dd's car for while she's home. Base price is $50 for 3 days but it will likely be over $150 by the time we add in the insurance option. Since she doesn't have driver's insurance any more, we'll need to do that. She doesn't own a car and her province has government run insurance that requires you to have a car to be insured, so she doesn't have any insurance of her own. When she moves back to Ontario, her insurance will be more than a teenage boy's insurance will be since she hasn't been insured for several years. We kept her on our policy for as long as we could but the delay coming back to Ontario will cost them $$$$ in insurance when they do get back here. Which is ridiculous.

I need to start defrosting the meat for dinner. I'll make stuffed pork chops. Dh is defrosting some milk we had in the freezer to see if that is drinkable. I tossed it in there last spring before one of our trips. Worst comes to worst, we'll buy more milk from the general store when we pick up the mail.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:48 pm

I've not gotten much done except granny duty. H. has been manning the shredder after I mentioned that chore to him and he's done two boxes {man's boot box] size so far I'm impressed! Dgd & h. have had lunch, now heading out side. Got a card & letter from my aunt so trying to think if I need to get a return one done soon or not! Opting for not LoL but I"m mulling over the year in my mind I do have some good news about the floors I can share with her!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:07 pm

I had an appt with HRT practitioner at nine this morning and had to skedaddle out of house on the run. It was pouring rain too, all the way, with accidents galore. Went by the temple afterwards to sign checks and check in with people - good discussion w rabbi - then drove by new lot taking note of landscaping and colors of house in the area.

Kathryn said:
I'm a slug today. It must be the weather.

I'm afraid I took a mega nap this afternoon with ddogs. Rainy day and very gloomy. Was sleeping very soundly when ds woke me up calling from the bathroom, needing a TP delivery! :roll: Trying to decide whether to stay here and get some stuff done or make a run to my office with dd's ailing computer and get groceries. I think I will make hamburgers and latke mix - we have ingredients and I can do some things here. I suspect going to Walmart at 4:30 or 5 p.m. isn't the smartest use of time! (I bet Sadie will agree!)

-clear kitchen counters
-clear kitchen table
-reboot laundry (fold load in the dryer and start another)
-give Macs meds which I forgot this morning
-straighten up the family room from last evening's festivities
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:01 pm

The day was incredibly rainy, to the point we had one of our every-few-month MOATS along the driveway and on behind the well house. I was afraid company would have a hard time walking the few steps from car to walkway, but they say they did fine. It was very nice and they certainly brought a lot. :? I didn't realize they brought so much each year as gifts to my parents - large gift bag of pecans, gift bag of pecan bark, big platter piled so high with homemade cookies that it looks like a turkey must be under the foil. I'm not going to worry about this, though - this is not my exchange.

They complimented the tree and the card wreath, and also complimented dd13 on conversational skill. They were on their way to "date night", which they say usually involves a 4:30 movie, dinner and home by 8. I said that sounds perfect to me!

I've been fighting a headache ever since I tried to get out in the rain and do outdoor chores and pick up mail/paper - this at about 1:00 p.m. The poor hens got no sunshine today. After company left, I got something into my tummy and took one Exedrin Migraine. I've gotten my ddad's supper cleared away - I may lie down in the dark.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Our sunrise was 7:45 this morning and sunset is 5:33. I'm usually pretty far into tax season before I even notice the days getting longer and then it comes as a real surprise sometime in early April when I leave the office earlier.

I responded to two temple emails also, and bickered with ds about barbeque sauce. (He wants me to buy more, I want him to use what we have, which is not his preferred brand first.) Also got the mail and sorted.

I could keep this house decent looking if I devoted some time to it everyday. Yesterday had three events out of the house and had to return home between each of them and my day was shot!

This round:
-take out garbage
-clean "hot" kitchen counter
-wrap Hanukkah presents for ds, dd and dh (bought him this: http://www.amazon.com/Curves-Box-Menora ... B004Z4YR3S from the artist at the exhibit hall at the biennial)
-take out paper in kitchen for recycling
-refill meds
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Spent some time weeding one of the garden plots today. Previous owner thought it was a good plan to plant mint without a confining container, and then she didn't tend any of the several garden plots she planted so they are all totally overgrown with grass. Worse, the mint is escaping into the yard, so I will have to remedy that first thing next spring. Or sooner, if the warm weather holds.

I'm all moved, with only half a box of stuff left to unpack. A lot of stuff still needs to have a specific home designated, though. It's cluttered, and not in a good way. But I make a bit more progress every day. I got everything that belongs in the china cabinet put away today. Husband and I are both loving our shiny new double-wide home!

One week ago today I went into the mikveh (ritual bathing pool) and emerged Jewish. Woohoo! That was the culmination of a year of reading, studying, and taking classes. So, naturally, I have moved to a place where the Jewish population is ME. Oy!

Yesterday I did an amazing amount of work, but today it looks like it's just not going to happen. Time to go think about starting supper.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi everyone! Tomorrow is my trip to Alabama and most things are done. I do need to pack, but I have my list for it. I also still need to deliver Dcat18 to the boarding kennel with her meds. Why do I feel like I have forgotten something?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Cathyy! It is great to see you! Congrats on your conversion.

Dinner is on. The cards are finally done. There's a pile to be delivered in the neighbourhood and a pile to be delivered during our errands tomorrow.

Dh is watching his movie. After finishing the cards, I sorted the remaining cards into 'holiday greetings' and 'Christmas' piles and made sure I had matching envelopes. I have three boxes of bought cards from years ago plus odds and sods I had bought over the years (my college main hall, a box from Australia) and then all the ones I'm sent by charities. Those were the ones that needed to be sorted and matched. I donate to dozens of charities and about 5 send me cards twice a year so I'm overrun with cards for December plus birthday/sympathy/get well/'thinking of you' cards. An notepads. I get at least a dozen notepads per year. I'd rather they use the money to find cures for disease than send me more stationery.

We have the dining room table back again and I put the presents I bought yesterday away in the basement. Maybe I'll watch a movie tonight and wrap.

Return to “Post When You Can”