Winter Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Winter Thursday

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:21 am

Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
~Edith Sitwell

Today is the first full day of our northern hemisphere winter; Amid the hurry-up getting-it-done mindset, take some time to enjoy winter comfort, good food and warmth, friendly hands and a talk beside the fire.

I'm lighting a fire in the cyber-fireplace - warm and crackling and comfortable. Come sit by the fireside - there are rocking chairs, some comfortable overstuffed chairs, a low stool to better enjoy the fire, and a few soft snuggly throws for extra warmth. As we enjoy the warm fire, we'll have a little winter chat together.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Winter Thursday

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:34 am

I need to venture away from the fire today to get groceries and run by my office with dd's computer. We have 100% chance of rain today - no rain right now so I need to get crackin'.

-kitchen counters
-reboot laundry
-s2s
-finalize grocery list
-meds + vitamins, me + ddogs

Just responded to an email from a temple committee chair who is married to a VP. The two of them have conferred and effective immediately want to reduce our dinner prices for children and those 16 and under, and have the office secretary send an email today to the membership. The issue I have is that we already are way beyond our capacity for the Hanukkah dinner tomorrow night and really should not encourage additional reservations or those who show up w/o a reservation. He honestly has a way of irritating me by making decisions and moving without consultation, so I've asked him to delay announcement to our first Friday dinner in January.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:25 am

Up and at it. Not too late.

I'm taking advantage of my labour saving devices and ignoring the electrical pricing (since I ignore it by having my Christmas lights come on early) and running the washer since I use the guest room for my drying rack so want to get at least one load of clothes dried in there for ds comes tomorrow night.

I'm also using running the cleaning cycle of my hot water pot while I have my tea and chocolate. The tea was made using the kettle.

Dh just made his hotel reservations for England. So he's going for sure. This really impacts Las Vegas. We can either go the week of the 8th and pay a lot more or the Jan 29 to Feb 6 which is rushed for me since I'm leaving for 5 weeks on Feb. 8. It is not undoable, just awkward. It will be worse for dh since he gets back on the 28th. He might push leaving a week earlier in order to do another training gig at the same time for a different client. I'm starting to think that we'll have to cancel our going to Vegas and just let the little old ladies go on their own again.

I still need to book the hotel in Capetown. I might get dh to make that phone call for me.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:54 am

Finished that round and I'm ready to head out. I realized while getting dressed that several sweaters, bras, camisoles and panties did not accompany me home from the trip. Called the hotel and they are there in lost and found and they will ship them to me at my cost. Yea!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:38 am

Quick post n run here ~ waving to all!
Dd just called she forgot that she has an apt. and will be here in like 5 min.
Bs was up today I've been fighting a sinus ear thing.
s2s x
h. just left for work on dsil's job site today.
mix up cookie dough is going on the list we're nearly out of 'em :idea: here grands can help.

OKay

Postby OKay » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:42 am

Good Morning!

I'm always fascinated how seemingly easy several of you travel. Soooo totally out of my comfort zone that I am intrigued by the details. :)

DGD1 birthday has been celebrated and we enjoyed every minute of it.

So....today my focus is turned to Christmas shopping. Tomorrow is our 1st of many family Christmas celebrations and I have don't have the gifts bought/ready. :shock:

Only one crisis at a time please.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:53 am

That's a lovely bit of hospitality for us, Twins Mom! Thank you!

Hmmm.... ... so a married couple conferred with each other and want to direct the secretary in a communication to the entire membership? LOL. You do sometimes have your work cut out for you, Twins Mom. Checks and balances, checks and balances. Were I to receive that, I would assume an invitation to bring more mouths to feed at upcoming event.

Well, an alarmed Tobias has been left at the snip clinic. :( A few things I misunderstood - this is not a kitty-only snip clinic. There were 5 dogs to encounter just while we were in the entry, and one was a big wild-child, antagonizing all cats and dogs alike, nearly in a fight with another dog right in front of a line of amazed, fluffed-out cats. :shock: Also, I made a mistake I really regret in not having the cage covered - Tobias was way too much on view and feeling vulnerable and I should have KNOWN that. I rapidly took my jacket off and put it over the cage after we entered, but they insisted they had towels and for me to take my jacket. I waited until the last minute to remove it, and still didn't see a towel in sight, but we had to go. Thankfully, I think the cats and dogs went in 2 different directions in the back, so maybe he could relax with just other cats. LurkyLou and bittersweet, I thought of you!!!

We made a swing through the Super Tarjay there, but basically rushed home, since HRH was needing to get on with his day and couldn't until we got back. We will head back there for our lecture on aftercare at 5:15. Unfortunately, by the time we get back from that, with that area's famous traffic, it should be way past dark and my ddad will probably be upset that I'm out of the house "so late" even at 6 or 6:30. He can't bear for anyone to be away after dark, so we have to sneak out the back sometimes.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Good morning I didn't post yesterday. The only reason is my oxygen was low so my thinking was off.

Dgniece5 is having her tonsils out right after Christmas. They are too big. The have never been inflamed they have just grown to close off her throat. She has lost 4 pounds and has to sleep next to her dmom a night because she has sleep apnea because of them. She has to take naps on the couch so her dmom can hear her.

It is so pretty at night with the homes around our campus lit up. Behind us is a gated exclusive community with guards nd multimillion dollar homes. There are about 5 homes. I can see Christmas trees inside and outside. It is so pretty.

We may get a dusting of snow.tonight.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Aw, poor Tobias. May he come home tonight calm and quiet and purr contentedly before the fire Twins has laid out for us this morning.

We have had one fire outside in the fire pit, which felt nice in the cool air. Too warm in the house so far to use the fireplace yet this season. This fireplace of ours really is an extravigance. Down here, some people put those fake fireplaces with flickering pieces of red paper to simulate flames because we seldom need the warmth. (I'm not a fan of those!).

Indiana, I hope you are doing better, and do hope DGNeice is better after having tonsils removed.

OKay, you can do it!!

Kathryn, I admire your ability to be comfortable with all that traveling. I'm not sure I could do it.

Hi Nancy. You should count up the number of cookies you make in one month. I'll bet it's a lot.

All my packages got wrapped, including the big one so big I had to do it on the floor. This morning I put all the ribbons on. Have to get that one gift straightened out, then when that's wrapped I'll put everything away for another year.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh, how I envy those of you w/presents wrapped. There is NOTHING under our tree except what dh brought in for me Monday night.
Cookies & presents are my first priority today...
Well, second priority after delivering Santa gift to nursing home...
Make that third... s2s MUST come first, I suppose... after EXERCISE. Christmas goodies have added a couple of pounds on me already. Must get this situation under control. Christmas isn't even HERE yet. :roll: :oops:

(((BIG HUGS))) for poor Tobias. Hope all is calm when you go to pick him up this evening, Harriet. (((HUGS))) for your ddad and all of you dealing w/this elder-care situation now. I am just in awe, b/c I have no idea how we would manage in a similar situation... and I'm pretty sure we would NOT do as well as you are doing.

Ooohhh... sending lots of good wishes for (((dniece))), Indiana. And for you! May you have a healthy, happy Christmas, too!

Waving to Harmony... OKay... Kathryn... Nancy...
All that travel amazes me, too, OKay. If it is more than two days and/or more than a day's drive away -- * shudder * -- I start having panic attacks. That is why HOUSTON terrifies me so much. And if I have to go ALONE w/dparents, w/out dh as my security blanket... oh my... One day at a time... one day at a time... I am not planning a trip to Houston TODAY.

TwinsMom... grrr... ditto Harriet's comment. Serious need for checks & balances. Bless your heart, having to deal with all this.
And how annoying to lose such items @ hotel... but I am so glad they are being returned to you!

I wish sooo badly I had time to sit by the fire and chat. Thanks for the offer and for painting us such a wonderful picture. Tell you what -- save me a seat, and maybe this afternoon I can pop in and brag about how ALL my packages are wrapped and I'll have cookies to share with all of you!!!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”