Winter Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Winter Thursday

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Twins: you were lucky to get your clothes back.
Well, they aren't here yet! Lost and Found person I spoke to this morning took my info (including credit card) and said she would call back with cost and she hasn't called back - I'll check in again tomorrow morning if I haven't heard just to be on the safe side. This is a Gaylord Hotel - very fancy-schmancy and I suspect the fancier they are, the more responsive to those kind of things they are. It was outstanding facility.

Ds once lost a prized "blankie" at a hotel and it never turned up. Don't recall how old he was, except that he was old enough to feel embarrassed about needing it so we had to tred very carefully in describing it. I think it was shortly before or after that he lost the other blankie twin when he went to camp and only stayed a week.

Done with that round. Rain is coming down and we have a tornado watch also. :roll: That round I also emptied, folded and put away a basket of clean laundry that dh tossed into a basket and took upstairs and left while I was away.

-prep veggies for soup and get it started
-wipe down refrigerator front and purge as needed
-empty the dishwasher and reload
-get rid of 10 pieces of paper on "hot" counter
-read email from realtor and do the docusign thingie
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Oh, I remember my Yellow Fever shots! Yes, they are not the most pleasant, but IIRC Typhoid was much worse. At least YF is only once every 10 years! And schedule to get it ahead. The vaccine doesn't "keep" once it is opened, even refrigerated, so they tend to only give it at specific days/times. It may take a couple of weeks just to get in to get it. The military gave it once a month, on one afternoon, and you had better be there for it when you were due or get in trouble for your shots being out of date.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Cathyy: here we have to book an appointment at a travel clinic, have a consultation and then get the shot. At least it is all at one appointment and there's a discount on the consultation when there are two of us (i.e. $250 instead of $300 but then $150 for the two shots on top of that.) I'm still debating if I'll get malaria meds. We'll not be in the jungle at all, nor on land overnight except while in Capetown and that's for 2 nights. So the risk is very small. But two of the countries are marked as malaria risks. On the other hand, we have never taken malaria precautions on other cruises (for the reasons given above.)

Dinner is done. We watched the end of Miracle on 34th Street (the original - I started watching it while wrapping last night.) The tree is up (nothing on it, but up.) I'm going to vacuum it this year to cut down on the dust/mold, then put on the lights and garlands. I meant to buy new garlands so will put that on my shopping list. Looks like I may have to go to the market town tomorrow, since there's no place to get garlands in the nearby villages.

Dh is going to visit a friend in a little bit and I'll have the house to myself. Debating between Love Actually and just watching TV while I work. Love Actually is a big time commitment.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Dniece and her girlfriend came up with a great idea for the kids to exchange presents. Dgniece's best friend has been her best friend since the beginning of school last year. Their parents became friends too.

They are doing a presents for each kid - dnieces 3 and 2 in the other family.

Only $5.00 could be spent and it had to be a craft. The girls are painting pre fab birdhouses. I don't remember what her best friend is making.

I"m so glad they are best friends he watches out for her and she for him.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:49 pm

waving from Friday.
lots todo.
Have a very Merry Christmas .
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Have a Merry Christmas, Lynlee!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:26 pm

Tree is up with garland and lights. It looks nice, it will look magical when all the decorations are on it.

The bottom half of the main floor is vacuumed and dusted, top half is dusted. Dishwasher is running, dryer is running. Kitchen table is MIA. Had I cleaned it off earlier this week, I would have found the $20 gift card that expires before our next visit to our hair stylist. It would have been nice to get $20 of product for free. I don't need any at the moment but I will eventually. (It was a gift card for dh's birthday.)

Next challenge is to get off to bed. Tomorrow is a busy day. And a long one since dd gets in at 0:10 on the 24th.

BTW: ds wasn't able to change his shift. He suggested I cook the larger of the turkeys and bring all the leftovers into the hospital at 8 to feed the admin team working in the ER. I'll think about it. Last year, he took in a full turkey dinner for one of his co-workers whose life was falling apart (mother in hospital, daughter away from home and she was all alone for the holiday) and it was appreciated so maybe I will do it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 pm

So weary here.

2 trips to clinic in the 3-towns-away town where mamapiano and I were once able to meet - one of those trips home during "rush" (slow) hour. Also a trip mid-day to closer town because I forgot something for my ddad. After 1st trip, quick run-through of Tarjay and on the final trip we waited for time to pick up Tobias by shopping Michaels. (Dstepson and HRH rushed us over there worried about traffic, so that we were an hour early. :roll: I had TOLD them there would only be problems on the way home during rush hour, but they wouldn't hear me so I gave up and shopped. That was quite enough of CONCRETE floors.

At the snip clinic pick-up/lecture, there were 6 chairs for a dozen people and we arrived just after a 20-year-old guy who rushed to the last one and left me and several other women more than twice his age standing. So I stood waiting for 10 mins, stood during 30-minute lecture, and continued standing until our turn to receive our pet. I almost sat on the floor, but it was literally concrete without even vinyl. At home, dailies still needed to be done - laundry is drip-drying now.

Tobias is groggy and bewildered. Poor little dear. He'll be fine. They say he can have a bit of water and very plain food at 11:00. HRH sent him a new cozy pet bed to ride home in - he got under it!

My ddad has his hours turned around and I had to convince him it was not morning. He has had a late supper, having slept through his normal time.

Dove

Postby Dove » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Peeking in & waving ~~~~~ to all. I have lots to do tomorrow & have decided to get up an hour earlier to get a jump on the day. Wrote up a list of tasks taken from the "To Do Before Christmas" list & will make it a game to see how much I can get done before lunch.

Wishing Elizabeth & Cowinkie safe travels.

Hi Cathyy :) ! Congratulations on your conversion. That Spode plate is beautiful.

Thinking of Lilac prepping for Christmas so soon after a move.

Dee, hope your computer speeds up asap so it is easier for you to get here.

Maybe your hair stylist will make an exception & accept the expired gift card, Kathryn. Your house looks lovely & smells divinely of pine! :mrgreen:

Hi Lynlee :) ! Merry Christmas.

Great idea for the kids gift exchange, Indi.

((Harriet))

Sweet dreams, everyone.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Dove, best wishes on your hour-early plan. I hope you amaze yourself.

OKay, I hope you found plenty of time to handle all you needed.

Lynlee, Merry Christmas Eve if we don't see you until then.

Elizabeth, I decided to get dd13 the watercolor pencils anyway and let her try them. A small set wasn't too expensive.

Dd13 fed Tobias strictly by the clinic lady's rules - 1/3rd a usual meal. He is as frantic as usual after not having enough food, but unable to follow her around efficiently, he gives up and lies down. I gave her permission to get up with him in the night if he's fretful and prepare a little more. :lol: (meaning - I'm not doing it, kiddo - YOUR cat now.)

My ddad is getting ready to go to bed for the night a second time and when he finishes, I'll go back into the front of the house and fix things the way I want them rather than the way he insists on leaving them. (For instance, he won't leave either auto porch light on no matter how we beg.)

Everyone put your feet up and snooze. Envision sugarplums, sheep, or whatever cheerful thing dances through dreams.

Return to “Post When You Can”