Friday Focus

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Friday Focus

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:23 am

What is your focus for today?

Is it family, friends, frantic shopping, final preparations, or finishing up your planned work (be it HGP, conga-Friday, or payroll work.)

Whatever, if you have time, pop in here to report progress, rant, or simply post to get things organized in your mind.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Friday Focus

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:41 am

I'm up and on the treadmill (both literal and figurative!)

It snowed last night so I have a winter wonderland scene. It is just at freezing now but when the snow stops it is to plummet to quite cold so hopefully the snow will last until dd gets in tonight after midnight.

Dh finally noticed the Christmas tree this morning (the house was dark but the time has that light come on for 1 minute in the morning and so the only lights on in the house when he went to get his computer were the tree.) I need to reprogram all the light timers so the lights will stay on tonight until dd gets home and then on early in the morning on Sunday so the tree will be lit up when we get up.

I've just updated my daily to-do list to include all that I have to get done today. Dh was funny when we were 'soaking' in bed this morning. He said, "all we have to do today is clean the church, right?" My hysterical laughter clued him in that he might be mistaken. I added make eggrolls and dip to his to-do list, along with deliver the cards. I can add the items to our shared calendar to-do list.

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:22 am

Kathryn - you are doing great with prep. I hope your DD flight is smooth and on time. Have you decided about taking food to DS work?

DBro#2 had shoulder surgery yesterday and came through wonderfully. This time he "just" had shoulder joint cleaned out and patched up until he can get it replaced. He is still recovering from having his other shoulder replaced earlier this year and a total knee replacement about this time last year. He still plans on returning to riding horses and roping ASAP. I hope he will be happy with the results of all this surgery.

I am just staying ahead of one thing at a time. Today is first of 4 family celebrations. I'm forcing myself to do this for the DGChildren because my heart is with DBro#1, wife/children as the family goes through what they wish was a bad dream (as they put it). Pasting a smile on my face (to honor my DBro#1 because I know he would tell me to do it!)

Today's focus is celebrating with DGS14, DGS16, GF, DGS_little_sister_3yrs, and LO. We will open gifts here, travel to DMIL and open gifts there, travel to DParents home and open gifts there. Plus cook/eat 3 meals. Then return everyone home late tonight so they can celebrate with other branches of their family Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. it should be a packed day. I shopped until late last night and ordered 2 gifts that won't be delivered until after Christmas :oops: I have one more gift to buy (amazon gift card) and then I should be done. I hide in the Awesome closet early this morning and filled the stockings from a huge box of stuff i collected. The stockings were labeled with each child name and I had a list of who got what so it was a matter of selecting item from box - checking list to see how gets that item then dropping into their stocking. repeat repeat repeat

:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:44 am

Perfect time of year for shoulder surgery for a calf-roper, OKay. Best wishes for his recovery.

Had to smile at Kathryn's "All we have to do" conversation this morning. Hope he's not too disappointed!

Our plans and FOCUS have changed because of the 2 sons' work schedules and we've had a "Maybe we CAN do it after all, Mom!" flurry of phone calls. :shock: At 3:00 on Mon the day after Christmas, dstepson's family of 3, ddil with baby, and our household of 4 will await dd33's family of 5 and have our Christmas celebration together. Ds26 will be allowed a 2-hour arranged respite from his main firehouse. We'll need to keep him appraised of his sister's estimated arrival time, so he can leave at the right moment to have the most possible time with us.

So, Good Problem:
:?: So, what's your favorite (modest) finger-food for a SUDDEN casual buffet? :) At this point, I'm thinking piled half-sandwiches of different types, which dd13 and I would make Monday morning. But there are bound to be simple things I'm overlooking - my imagination is not functioning yet! I'm sure dstepdil will help by bringing something. I really can't expect to have a time-miracle again to be able to make 24 deviled eggs! We'll see! Definitely will have the requested Wassail - I'm prepared for that!

Disclaimer:
Oops, HRH is suddenly disappointed - he's now going to have to be talked out of trying a full turkey meal, if I can manage to be convincing enough. So far, still finger-foods! :lol:

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:01 am

I'm up, have let out dchiweenie, fed the kittens, and given Miss Jigaboo her morning meds. The coffee is on, and I'll grab a cup in a minute.

Yesterday turned out much busier than I'd originally planned. Rhemus and Andy were dropped off at the pet store (they were recovering beautifully from their neuter surgery, and the lady who was supposed to bring in her litter of foster kittens couldn't make it), a "quick" stop at the vet for meds for Jiggy, stopping by work to drop off the 21 kittycat pads that I actually got done in time!, off to visit dfriend who was selling us their PVR (and snuggle with her adorable puppies), then to the Farmers' Market to meet up with dMum and pick up our pork order, back to the city to pick up a book at the library, gas up the car, and then FINALLY home!!

Today and tomorrow's focus is mainly payroll, along with some gift wrapping in the evenings, cause I have NOTHING wrapped yet!! At least everything is bought for the Christmas dinner at dMum's. DH and I decided to buy ourselves a new TV and PVR for Christmas, so no wrapping needed there. There's really just the stuff for DD, DSinl, and the kids to wrap.

I can't believe all the hoopla you went through with Tobias' surgery, Harriet!! A 30-minute class on aftercare? Most clinics here give you a quick rundown on the sheet of aftercare instructions (excessive licking, any redness or swelling, etc), maybe a dose or two of pain meds, an e-collar for if you need it, and off you go.

Speaking of going...I should...critters need care, and I have to get dressed and out the door *sigh*

Wishing all the villagers a very Merry Christmas Adam!!! :P

Ooooooo finger food buffer? Small sandwiches (pita rollups are great), veggies & dip, chips and hummus/salsa/sour cream, fruit plates, meat/cheese/crackers...stuff like that.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:16 am

memories of christmas here
I dont think I've ever had a hot christmas lunch - not counting whats barbequed. evening meal might have some veg.
Most different christmas few years ago was at southbank (Bris) ... in cossies in shade on edge of a walkway by shallow part of city beach. Little kids and a granma from nursing home there squished with many many other family groups. And kids riding bikes past too. Took chairs and esky whatever. Great. We had to eat the iceblocks/icecreams first cos they were melting. twas simple eating. cold meats, salads. drinks and a swim. dds kitchen was deconstructed for a reno. dd/sil did a good job on the reno. We had a 2wk late family christmas there 2 yrs ago as well - not as crowded as also we were 3 less in our group.

Christmas at dsil always has much too much food of every variety and more courses than you can point a stick at. Lots of finger food before you get to sit - select from a buffet table laden with cold and barbequed meats and salad, then reset with heaps of different desserts. DMs traditional christmas was cold meats cooked prev day, lots of salad . followed by cold "plum pudding" custard/ icecream.

Its raining here with excyclone. I don't mind misty rain at christmas as it cools things down - though right now its heavy - overflowing roof gutters.
I drive down tomorrow. I still need to wrap. I'll only wrap for those south (dds and associate families). The northern ones will have to wait until I go up that way. and I can wrap those once I'm home from bris.

sheeks. I wanted to cook a dessert that I can eat. forgot about that. Maybe I take sheeps yoghurt and mango to share. sil's brother will bring desert and it will suit my mental health best to stay on my nonono diet without affecting anyone elses right to eat whats on offer.
I'll see how my humor is in the morning. It will be easier to resist at dd's place than at sil's. They at least understand - and dd asked whats most important of the nonono's so theres some selection for me. Possibly wrapping and packing is all there is time for. I might make a farmers market run for a tray of mango to share around with christmas guests.. I'm thinking no way I'll cook tomorrow..
I take all special/different food I need. (breaky) - simpler that way.

Hoping to remember my laptop and camera. Need shake plaster dust off the camera case. I'll get someone to help upload my photos ... hoping ... so I have room on camera to take a heap of shots..

Wishing you all a happy Christmas. Safe travel for you and your kin. hugs all
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:31 am

Good morning. It a gorgeous morning. Jake and I watched the sunrise.

Harriet I thought of vegies and dip, chips/pretzels and dip, pickles/olives and deviled eggs. I see some were mentioned.

Today I will do tomorrow and Sunday routines.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:36 am

Trying to take count and figure out what is left to do here. Dmom asked me yesterday if I would pick up some gifts for dgreat-nieces & nephew for her. I had decided that I would give them books or educational toys instead of plastic toys this year and had picked up some of what I need yesterday. I need to make a trip back to the specialty toy store to finish my shopping and I guess I can pick up things for her there. DS hasn't done any shopping and I think that he and I will either leave the house early today for temple and go to Target (yeeck, don't want to go near there!) or dh will take him out in the morning.

I need to get busy this morning with some stamping.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:41 am

Basement is dusted and vacuumed. The bedding from dd's bed is up, waiting for the snow to stop so I can air it for a bit. I also tidied my creative room a bit because dd hasn't seen it yet. She also hasn't seen the new living room couch (or the basement room we've set up for dh to watch movies.)

I can't find ds' favourite stuffed animal from his childhood. Platy (the platypus) must be in with his childhood precious stuff because he wasn't with in the precious stuffed animal bin. Otherwise, he got lost in one of ds' many moves. We are getting him out as part of ds' visualization of his goal to get to Australia. I did find Platy's baby (a 6" long platypus we used to travel with since Platy is life sized) and a stuffed parrot so they are on ds' bed here now.

I'm having tea and chocolate now. Still am in workout clothes. So much for an early start today!

helia

Postby helia » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:46 am

Hello everyone! Good morning! It is a beautiful morning here! Sunny, clear blue skies -- but cold, below freezing. No precipitation in the forecast, though. I think we're not going to have a white Christmas -- the first time since we moved up here summer 2001? :?

It feels GOOD to be on this side of the dh's work get together here last night, although things went well and I did enjoy myself. I spent most of my time chatting with the wife of dh's colleague, whom I really like. She is younger than me, a half-time payroll mom, Singaporean -- and SO easy to talk to! I did chat some with others too. Dh got a raucous game of Dutch Blitz going after the meal. Nothing like having a competitive group of students play a competitive game together. :) And, though it wasn't perfect, I was comfortable with the state of the house. No one even went downstairs so I didn't need to spend the time cleaning up the play room and the bathroom down there -- except that they really needed some attention. I must say, it does feel good to have the house in better shape, and cleaning inspired me to try to keep up with flylady/SHE cards a bit better, as some areas of my house are rather neglected. Anyway, we had SO much food! We have leftovers for probably 2 more meals, and we tried to get everyone to take their own food home plus some when they left. I froze the chili, enough for at least one meal.

Friday Focus: Today, we celebrate Sinterklaas! Whee!! I have 4 main tasks today: (1) Take kids shopping to make sure they have the gifts they want to give (and pick up a T shirt for ds' pj set for tomorrow night) I may have to brave Tar-jay. . . Maybe best to do that asap. (2) Wrap presents -- and thus, demolish the small mountain of boxes on the wall by my side of the bed - a 2 for 1 job! (3)help with the "surprises" - a joke gift + humorous poem for each member of the family, teasing them about some character trait/habit. Some in our family are gifted in designing and making the "gift" (dh and dd13 mainly; dd16 and ds help) while others are gifted in the poem writing dept. (myself and ds are the main poets; dd16 and dd13 help) (4) make the traditional almond filled Dutch cookies for our celebration tonight. Dh will make pannekoeken for our meal tonight - Dutch pancakes. Yum!

I probably should go work out today too, considering how much I've eaten in the last couple days. I can feel my waist line burgeoning. . . Maybe the gym is open tomorrow.

I'm off to s2s!

Return to “Post When You Can”