Friday Focus

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: Friday Focus

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 am

Stuffed animals were hugely important to ds, too - recently gave him his favorite bear to keep. Hope you find it!

Lynlee, how I love your posts - I understand some of them, too!!! Here, we definitely say "more than you can shake a stick at", so, interesting to hear you say "point a stick at". Though that could be regional to me. You'll have to tell me what cossies and esky are! Won't be able to have a spread like that with all the meats - sounds great. No, ice cream is not usually thought of for our cold holiday - wonderful for your warm one! I could ask you what you serve for 4th of July, but I think you'd giggle at me for that! :lol:

Veggie sticks should feature, Indiana, that's right. I can set out a yogurt dip I found recently that will be healthier. Oh, and will give me a chance to use last year gift of ceramic divided seasonal-image tray - now to remember who gave me that......? :roll:

Hats - dd13 received what I would call a Michael Jackson hat from friends who visited the other day. A very thin brim for a classic fedora crown, in blue-black brocade fabric, black band.

Seasonal viewing - we very much enjoyed the MASH Christmas episode yesterday, just happening to catch it while someone flipped channels. Winchester gives fine chocolates to orphans anonymously in his family's very specific tradition, only to find that in Korea they are black-marketed by the orphanage so that the children can have meals at all.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:44 am

I love your posts, too, Lynlee! I was thinking the same thing that Harriet said, about shaking/pointing a stick! LOL!!!
Do you have a winter holiday there that would compare to our 4th of July, or maybe Labor Day? Those are the big HOT weather events here. We used to always go to dmil's on 4th of July. Her whole family would get together there for a big picnic, but now we don't do much of anything. Sometimes get together w/my side of the family.

Finger foods. That's what's on the menu @ dstepgmother's. I am taking bread, mustard, and mayo. Plus my "special" chocolate chip/pecan cookies. Every family is supposed to bring a 2L drink. Some of my favorite finger foods include pigs-in-blanket & chips and salsa. Don't know how labor-intensive, time-wise, the pigs-in-a-blanket are. You just roll up the cocktail wieners in crescent rolls, right? But then you have to allow time to bake, so if you're doing a whole bunch, it could take a while, I guess. I never do them, personally. Just enjoy eating them! ;)

Love the stuffed animals, Kathryn. Also LOL @ dh's "all we have to do" comment. Men can be so clueless. They think Christmas just APPEARS, don't they?

Waving to ALL of you, and thinking especially of those with heavy burdens to carry along w/all the Christmas gifts and foods and "cheer." ((((OKay))))

Dmil is at this point w/her sister... thinking it is only a "matter of time." Dmil is definitely not in the Christmas spirit AT ALL... watching both sisters decline and dfil's situation... but I know she will enjoy having us all together, and she is happy about the baby on the way. And dfil is VERY happy about the baby on the way, so that's good.

Today's PODA -- and I have NO IDEA how I will ever get everything finished --
[ ] exercise
[ ] s2s
[ ] CVS
[ ] grocery store
[ ] funeral visitation for coworker's father
[ ] help dmom w/fruit, wrapping, whatever
[ ] finish baking cookies
[ ] finish my own wrapping
[ ] go see Mission Impossible w/dh

Hope y'all have a great day!!!
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Focus? I'm trying to stay focused but going 10 different directions at once.

Finger foods, cocktail weenies, cheese squares, salsa and chips, little tiny size bread slices (pumpernickel comes to mind) with cheese spread. Yumm! Glad that's all working out for you.

DD1 got a filet of some sort roast that none of us properly know how to cook, but we'll try!

Have checked in with both DD's.

So far:
Stripped bed, linens in wash
load of dark clothes hanging out.
Lasagna made to take up for Sat. dinner.
Small lasagna made with what was left for our freezer.
Kitchen half cleaned up. Wow what a mess.
Payroll check made out and bonus enveloped prepared.
DH running somewhere so finally it is quiet here.

I wonder if I can find the Christmas music and turn them on?

I've been using Mozilla, wow, way faster than IE and working great! I may never go back!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Still in workout clothes. The only positive is that I have actually worked out, doing that first and then coming downstairs.

The fridge is cleaned out. There's a cooler in the garage with things that can freeze but would normally only be refrigerated. At this point, it is registering 40 inside the cooler so that's ideal. I have a mini fridge in the basement but it has a tendency to either freeze or be too warm so I'd rather use the garage and save the electricity.

I made jello (using up some juice) and took the squares I made on Saturday and put them into a smaller container so they take up less room.

I opened up the Christmas Eve service file to prep my hymn book. IMHO, the service is awful. No "O Come All Ye Faithful" and we pass the light at the end to Silent Night but our tradition is to say a brief blessing and Merry Christmas. She has a responsive reading (great - everyone is holding burning candles in one hand and pieces of paper in the other) and then has the choir sing a choral blessing (and we will hold the anthem music how? - we also have burning candles in our hands and the sanctuary is only lit by candles at that point.) I've transcribed the words I need and pasted them into my music folder and since I have it set up to handle it with one hand, I'm hoping I'll be fine. But really, what was she thinking?!

I'm getting dressed now and then going out shopping. Only 25 items over 2 stores so I'm hoping all will go quickly and well.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Good Morning

I know I have been away -- but I have been reading - just not posting.

Started coughing on Wed night and have been sick ever since. Low grade fever, come and go sore throat, coughing and REALLY REALLY tired. So I've greased up with Vicks, taken extra vit. C and retired to my chair with my blankie.

DH made peanut brittle and chocolate chip cookies yesterday. In the evening I packed up the plates to take to friends.

Been paying bills this morning and now I am going to go take hot shower to open up my lungs and then crawl back in my chair.

Hope you all have a great day.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm dressed!

Now to have a quick lunch before doing the groceries. The snow finally lightened up enough that I could put the bedding on the line. It is still blowing around but I don't think it is coming down any more. No matter, I'll run everything in the dryer for 10 minutes to warm it up when I bring it in.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:19 pm

I finished my little round of stamping. I don't know that I've ever made more mistakes - cutting and scoring at wrong places and ruined a lot of good cardstock. Ended up with four large household type matchboxes decorated - on one side is Hanukkah and the other side with two Shabbat candles. A lot of work to get four - actually five because I'm keeping the prototype. At one point wanted to remove inner box that slides and replace it with one of blue cardstock but decided that was too much work with not enough reward.

I need to have lunch.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Twins, that sounds really nice.

MT, so sorry to read you are under the weather. Especially this time of year. Get well quick.

Bed linens hanging. Kitchen cleaned up. Made another mess making fruit cake (just a mix I added my fruit to, 4 little loafs) kitchen cleaned up again. Ate breakfast and took med/vit.

I cleaned out refrigerator too and consolidated some things. Trying to use up the ice tea in there, gave some to DH. He usually drinks iced coffee, but he agreed this batch is good.

I'd like to get out of the kitchen so I can work in other spots. There is still more to do there.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Trying to decide what to do next. I meant to make some challah today but I really should have thought it through because it's probably too late in the day since we'll go to temple later. Ds is finally up and showering; I hope he will decide to shop tomorrow a.m. with dh, although it would be nice if we could stop at the toy store on the way to temple.

I am still in pajamas.

-take photographs of match boxes
-empty the dishwasher
-clear kitchen counters
-reboot laundry
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Wrapped up a gift for rabbi I brought back from biennial, and found gift bags for the matchboxes. Going to try to whip up some tags for all, and hopefully do up a card for temple secretary and custodian also to give to them tonight.

Return to “Post When You Can”