Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
OKay

Re: Wednesday

Postby OKay » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:59 pm

today's funeral activities are over. Everything went almost perfect. One thing I didn't foresee was LO and DParents attachment and how that would play out. LO stood next to DDads wheelchair & held both of The Great's hand while we were in the waiting area. That was a blessing while the family was waiting to be seated before the service, however DParents kept holding LO hand all the way down the aisle. I tried to gently remove LO from them but DMom insisted that he should sit next to them. LO held DParents hands all through the service and laid his head on DMom shoulder several time. He would intently watch them with a concerned look on his face. My fear was that LO would be the center of attention and distract from the service, but several family members told me that he was a blessing to DParents because they needed him to help them focus to get through it all. After the service we all went to the cemetery for a quick final service at the grave site. Then the family went to the church where they served us a huge lunch and we had time to visit together before going our separate ways.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:01 pm

thanks Dawn, I really appreciate it and you are making me cry. i will send you my email addy

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:02 pm

glad the funeral activities went according to plan Okay

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:10 pm

(((AF))) Boooooooo to the accident! I'm glad DSon is okay and no one was seriously hurt. It has been my experience that insurance companies are several layers deep and sometimes you have to fight your way through a few of the layers to reach someone to help you. I hope it turns out okay. ((((AF)))) It is good to see you posting again!

And DE is posting again too!! YEAH!! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Dawn 2011

Postby Dawn 2011 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:18 pm

What a sweet-heart you are , Okay. I am sorry for the things you are going through as well, so glad that things worked out so nicely at the service.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:31 pm

thanks Okay1 it doesn't help that they keep quoting a book that is their "law".

good to see you again too Dawn!

Norma

Postby Norma » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Thank you for our anniversary best wishes. We are treating ourselves to a steak dinner tonight. We talked to people and researched the best places in the Phoenix area and came up with the one we will go to. My DH is sooooo ready for a good fire grilled steak. :lol: (Like he or I need it!) Tomorrow we are going to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I have read each of the 3 books twice and can hardly wait. Other than being pretty dark and very graphic the reviews are good. I can put up with that if the story is good and I know it is.

Do have a good last week of 2011. Cowinkie and Sweetie are due back - I think today - so maybe we can have a fun get together before this year ends. :)
I go to nature to be soothed and healed , and to have my senses put in order. John Burroughs

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:42 pm

OKay I'm glad the service went well. When I went to my grandmother's funeral with ds (who was 2.5 at the time), my dad grabbed onto him and held him a lot of the time. My dad had expressly forbidden me to come because I couldn't leave ds behind (he was nursing still) and he felt I couldn't afford two tickets. I had the money saved for one flight because I had started saving when I was 20 and realized that my grandmother was really old (she was in her 90's at that point) and that I wanted to attend the funeral. So I used my funeral fund money to pay for my ticket and figured dh and I would stretch the budget for the second ticket but my dad gave me the money after.

Aflyer Our local paper's police column had an article about this exact kind of accident back in the summer. The cop was furious because he had to charge someone in your son's position because that's what the Highway Act says. In this case, the driver who hit the turning vehicle was the fourth car back and passed the others before hitting the car that was signalling the turn, yet it was the turning car that was charged with making an unsafe turn, not the passing car despite the unsafe driving. The cop understood how completely unfair the situation was and was highlighting the case in his article to make others knew this stupid Highway Act rule.

We have to turn left into our neighbourhood from the highway and ever since I've tried to remember to mirror and shoulder check before making the turn. In our case we are at the crest of a hill so those extra seconds of paying attention behind us could allow a hidden oncoming car coming up the hill to pull into our sight. So, as I'm driving towards our turn, I pay attention to the traffic behind me so I know if there is potential trouble behind long before I actually get to my turn.

I've just finished cleaning the bathrooms. Also made soap out of all the ends of soap I've saved for the past decade. We start with small soap anyway (from the hotels) so seem to end up with lots of ends. I pulverized them in the blender, added a bit of water, microwaved and stirred to make a paste and then put them into muffin liners. We'll see if the three 'bars' harden and work as soap. The leftovers bits in the pan and blender sure foamed up so I'm hoping this works. Because we haven't been traveling as much, our supply of soap is almost expired.

Dd has signed us into her Netflix account and dh is watching a movie. We watched two episodes of Leverage while I was taking a break after cleaning. Dh has had a good look through what is available and thinks it would be worth it for us to sign up for a bit. I hate to take the money away from our video store guy but he doesn't do tv series so this might still work. The big attraction for me is that we don't have to drive to return movies.

atlanticflyer

Postby atlanticflyer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:48 pm

in this case Kathryn the other driver was charged but not sure on what. if it meets the exceptions that the insurance company has then they can go after the other insurance company. unfortunately they don't teach new drivers to do the extra check. the other guy admitted to being at fault on police record which what I find very annoying. i hope and pray the charges meet the exception or I am in deep trouble for the next few years.

Happy anniversary norma and hubby!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi AFlyer. I'm sorry to read about your recent troubles, your DSon's accident and your DH's diagnosis. Lots to worry about, I see. I will remember you all in my prayers.

Years ago I was renewing our commercial policy and between the agent and me we figured out that we had no uninsured motorist coverage. If someone uninsured had hit us we wouldn't have been covered. I put that on the policy and it raised the price quite a bit, but I feel safer now. I was luckier than you, AFlyer, we discovered it before something happened.

Nice to see Dawn E. posting. I hope you feel better soon.

I finished up at my desk. I cleaned out a kitchen drawer, cut rubber matting for the bottom and put DH's bbq tools in there. He had decided he wanted to hang them on the grill after all, but who knows when he would get around to getting the hooks for the grill...in the meantime they are off my counter and my drawer is cleaned out of its junk.

We took a long bike ride. I was pooped when I got back. I am so out of shape.

Return to “Post When You Can”