FINAL FRIDAY (of 2011!)

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
lucylee

Re: FINAL FRIDAY (of 2011!)

Postby lucylee » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Portion sizes... dh says he remembers when the 12 oz. drinks started replacing the 6 oz. Coca-Colas. People said, "Who would want to drink that much?" LOL. Today, I feel "slighted" if I can't find the 24 oz. Diet Pepsi and have to settle for the 16 oz. Diet Coke. :roll: I am definitely a Coca-Cola girl, but not to the point that I won't drink Pepsi. Cokes @ our local Walmart are usually in 6 packs of 16 oz. bottles, while Pepsis are in 6 packs of 24 oz. bottles. I could buy the 20 oz. Cokes out of the cooler at the check out counter, but that would be waaay more expensive.

I remember myself, being amazed at 3L bottles, thinking how could we possibly drink that much before it went flat?
Of course, we had no problem with that, either.
Now it seems only 2L bottles are available again, but we mostly buy in the smaller bottles or cans -- dh is a loyal Diet Sundrop drinker. * Sundrop may not be available much farther north than Twins, but it is a citrus drink, like Mountain Dew. High caffeine and it's devotees are VERY loyal. DH only drinks one a day, though. He's not totally addicted to the caffeine.

I have delivered dh to dinlaws; he will drive their van home for our trip tomorrow.

I need to get busy, but I have been browsing the Vera Bradley site. DDIL sent me a "wish list" hint for a baby book there, which is currently on sale, but I've been looking for other little accessories I might get her as well. How amazing. I know you all tried and tried to tell me this would all work out... but it is unbelievable to me how well it HAS worked out. God IS good... and as I told dmom today, He is sooo much smarter than we are. :D
Tomorrow is another day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Someone start giving me a little 'kick', please -I need to get moving on the end of year reports for the Annual Report. Deadline for reports to be given (sent) to me is this Sunday. I have to have them to the church secretary by next Sunday. (All but the financial reports -those have to be to me by the 15th and then done IMMEDIATELY to send up.) I'll be much more relaxed once that's all done. So if I'm a little 'quiet' over the next couple of weeks, that's the reason -will at least try to pop in here and there.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:03 pm

MT, those are really special ornaments that you and your dh make for your granddaughters and the 6 adults.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:19 pm

I've spent the whole evening working on 1 report. Evidently they changed things in the middle of the year and I went on my merry way just as before and got my amounts all mixed up. And, get this, states that did not pay back their borrowed federal unemployment dollars get to pay them more as a penalty! After much angst I got it done and now must write an additional check to send.

I so need a complete business program in here to do this stuff for me. I feel like I could tackle that now and be successful, but I'm not sure about the computer because of its age and memory, etc. .. sigh.....

We will miss you, Dee. I will have additional church reports to do starting Tuesday, I hope they're not extensive.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Rant re: our local Enterprise Car Rental location

The guy wasn't there this morning. We waited a minimum of 20 minutes for him. He didn't show. Following the instructions on the sign on his desk, we dropped the keys in the lock box. We also left 2 copies of the contract on the desk as the gentleman who dropped a car after we came in, did. We left.

We were home until 3:30. Sometime before 5:30, the guy called to say we were to have dropped the car today and to do so soon. He was closing until Tuesday.

So now, we have to fight to prove we returned the car when we said we did (and not at a later time.) I just left a scathing voice mail (which will prove we got his message today) saying we did return it, we left the keys and the contract and if he was too lazy to look in the key box, or on the papers on his desk, or in the parking lot, or to call us before 6.5 hours had passed, that was his problem but that I will be lodging a complaint with the corporate head office about his phone call and actions and that I expect to hear from him by noon on Tuesday that all this has been resolved to my satisfaction.

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

(And dd thought I was nuts to suggest she take a photo of the car in the parking lot before we left to prove it was returned without damage. Now she'll learn to listen to her mother.)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Well that phone message certainly ruined my day. And it will ruin dd's when she gets home. I may not tell her about it until the morning.

I'm home now, the others are still out climbing.

The Muppet Movie was excellent.

Dinner was lovely. We even got a free dessert for dh (although he had to put up with the people singing to him!)

They went off climbing, I did three stores on the way home. At the middle store, I hit pay dirt with Christmas leftovers and bought rolls of solid coloured foil paper (in silver, red and green) at 73 cents each, Christmas Crackers (the kind you pull with prizes inside) 14 for $4.44, and an adorable wooden delivery truck with 24 compartments to use as an advent calendar ($6.)

Now I have to go put my finds away, and figure out a way to calm myself.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Oh (((Kathryn))) GRRRRRR is right!!! I will be anxiously awaiting news of his contrite apology on Tuesday.

PROGRESS re: Today's PODA:
[x] drug store for rx for dfil
[x] CVS for certain items they carry b/c I have coupon
* OOOHHH! Really did well there -- ended up w/20% off all dinlaws' purchases, plus total of $30 in gift card CVS $$ for me!
[x] ironing lady
[x] cleaners
[x] bank
[x] talked to dmom on phone
[x] talked to ds on phone... ddil safely on her way to spend weekend w/her parents, almost halfway there when ds called
[x] paid bill
[x] ate a slice of pizza b/c I was just about to drop over
[x] change sheets
* Mattress pad, blanket, quilt, bedspread AND dust ruffle are ALL CLEAN!!! This may be the first time in over a year -- for dust ruffle, especially. Woo hoo for me!!!
[x] visit dinlaws
[x] ate supper w/dh & ds @ Burger King
[x] filled up van for tomorrow w/dh
[x] purchased baby book ddil requested (and lanyard for her as a surprise)
Ddil has just discovered http://www.verabradley.com/ b/c she got a wallet for Christmas. I told ds there is no way she is getting the $99 diaper bag, but I thought I could spring for a lanyard, in hopes and anticipation of her new job!
[/] finish laundry
[x] finish updating calendar for wall & purse
* This is the paper/pen kind of update, of course. Putting in school calendar dates, AU football dates, etc.
[x] wash dishes that have been sitting in sink too long :oops:
[x] organize cards for 2012, put focus routines on cards, etc.

Y'all may be noticing that I am avoiding the real jobs that need doing:
* sigh *
[ ] reconcile checkbook
[ ] finish grading exams & posting grades
[ ] put away Christmas -- still thinking that will wait until maybe Sunday or Monday
[ ] download pictures from Christmas
[ ] email pictures to daunt

Dee & Harmony -- good luck w/the year-end reports. Hope everything goes quickly and without frustration!
Ooohhh... just realized... I certainly hope dmom's epidural "takes" b/c if it doesn't, and she is unable to sit at computer for long periods... well... just guess who will be sitting there following her directions while she stands and paces? * sigh *
Last edited by lucylee on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:58 pm

Lucylee Is your mom comfortable standing? I worked standing up for a long time when my back was out.

Everyone is home. Dh is doing up the dishes now and then we'll head to bed. I'm still upset and now dd is too.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:18 am

Kathryn, dmom is not really comfortable standing in one spot -- that's why she wanted me to take her shopping, so I could do the standing in line & waiting to check out. She is really only "comfortable" -- and probably using the term loosely -- but her best position is either walking, or lying flat on her back. Neither of which allow much office work to be done. But maybe... MAYBE... saying a prayer... MAYBE this last epidural will give her some relief.

I know it sounds sooo crazy coming from me... but try not to worry about this rental car thing. I'm sure it will all work out by next week. I think you just got a lazy, incompetent attendant who was closing up for the weekend w/out checking all his stuff like he should. I hope you and dd have a good night's sleep and everything looks much better tomorrow.
Tomorrow is another day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:51 am

I had a lovely visit from dsis, presents delivered from family, christmas and birthday shortly.
Gave her her christmas and birthday (yesterday) gifts. lol - presents from me were like - would you use this folding stool? Do you want it - she did. Its higher than the one she uses now. So looking forward to sitting on that for NH treatments she gives. Now select 1 other of these 3 wrapped gifts. The one she took suits perfectly - I'd forgotten about it when I wrapped the others. Then I also gave a big square calendar and magnetic wrap bracelet I had for her (calendar was in one of the parcels, bracelet I'd bought specially and forgotten.)

Happy Birthday to Mr Twins and Ken in Canada.

Busy days in the village for so many.
Sry about the car rental incompetence Kathryn.
Indiana - yuck on the doc. Hoping you are restored soon.

Prayers for healing, carers,grieving, aging, workers, relationships, and to all family near and far.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”