New Years Eve

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Lilac

New Years Eve

Postby Lilac » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:13 am

What are you planning to do for New Years Eve?

Twins' Mom

Re: New Years Eve

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:20 am

"Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual." -Mark Twain

A little tongue in cheek today but I did comment on the road to H-E-double.toothpicks earlier in the week.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:33 am

The older I get, the faster the years fly by.

We don't have any plans to go out. In fact, the only time we have ever went out was 21 years ago and we went to a dance that our friends son and his band was playing at. When the girls were at home and dh was working shiftwork, it seemed like he was either at work or had to work the next morning. If he was working New Years Eve evening, I usually used that time to deep clean the girls closets and rooms and to get all their new things a home.

Kathryn, I get such a kick out of watching your dd find out how smart you really are. Before daughters get married they always think that dm knows nothing about nothing. Then they get married and start listening and asking for advice. Dd2 was our worst offender, she thought she knew it all. Wonder of wonders, she didn't.

I always refill our RXs on the first of every month. Starting tomorrow each rx has an added $5.00 a month copay, so I had them all refilled yesterday. I couldn't figure out why it was cheaper than normal. Duh, I had forgot to have my test strips refilled, so I called in that rx and now I will have to mess with picking it up today. I couldn't believe that I had forgot about them, they are the most expensive of my rxs.

Well I better go. I need to get around. I just heard dh get up. We have decided that we are just going to start boxing up and hauling stuff over. Dh said that it might as well be here waiting to be sorted as there. Then I can get that house cleaned and ready to show. If I think about it, I get really nervous about it selling.

I hope each of you have a wonderful day and a very Happy New Year!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:34 am

LOL at the Mark Twain quote that Twins posted. That is so true!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:51 am

I love that quote too!

Today we have dd's godfamily arriving around 1 (there's freezing rain so they may be delayed.)

This morning I still have to s2s and then get the salad dressing made for dinner tonight, start defrosting dinner, put up signs at the church saying the service tomorrow is at the second church, gas up the car and pick up the mail. That should take me until my guests arrive.

(No word from Enterprise re: the car. They close at noon.)

This afternoon and evening will be visiting, eating, visiting, mystery jig saw puzzle, more eating, ringing in the New Year, and more visiting while we finish the puzzle. Ds is working 3 p.m. to 11 so will be home just in time to ring in the New Year.

Beds are all set up (except to inflate one mattress.) Table is set for dinner. More chairs are around the kitchen table. Once dh reads his comics over breakfast, I'll remove the stool from the breakfast bar and add more chairs to the family room (it is only 9 x 11 and includes a fireplace so seating is limited.)

I still have to do my back exercises. I guess after starting the defrosting of dinner, that will be my top priority.

At least one kid is awake, I can hear doors creaking, and dh is finally in the shower. I'll be back later.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:09 am

Don't know if the quote is really Mark Twain - there are a lot of pithy Mark Twain like quotes floating around the internet.

We went to services last night then ate out w dkids for dh's birthday. Our rabbi and wife came with us. Tonight we have two New Year's Eve invitations - the plan is to go to first one early and the other one at perhaps 11 p.m. Hate to be driving around so much on New Years Eve and I would have declined one of the two invitations (the one we'll go to earlier) but that's how it is. A afternoon party chili/beer/football for tomorrow and I will be socialized out again, I'm afraid.

Dh has gone to Torah study and breakfast as usual. We ended up leaving dd's car at the temple last night so I need to take her to get it later, once she gets up. Of course, that could be on in the afternoon.

I woke up too early today so a nap is in my future, considering we'll be up late. Ddogs got me up at five, I had a hot flash and little later and woke up clammy, then ddogs woke me up again at 7:15 so I could feed them. Never mind that dh was sitting downstairs already. :roll:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

cathyy

Postby cathyy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:23 pm

I sure am glad I checked the weather first thing today! We have a winter storm advisory for from early tomorrow morning until Monday night. Yes, that's 2 days of snowing. Because I checked the weather we have plenty of time to shop for the few items we will need for the next few days. Then we will hole up, snug as a bug in a rug in our very energy efficient home!

New Year celebrations shouldn't be affected, as it's not supposed to begin until 3AM. It wouldn't affect our plans anyway. Sweetie and I talked it over, and came to the unanimous decision to continue our usual tradition: stay home, go to bed relatively early, sleep through it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:43 pm

More progress here. Additional seating is in the family room, the meat is defrosting, I made the salad dressing, I'm s2s.

Dd called the car dealership that the rental place is located in and they looked out the window and confirmed the car is there. *BUT* the license number doesn't match the number on contract so that might explain the confusion. Dd never checked. Luckily, she did check for damage and noted on the contract that a hub cap is missing. How many Ford Focus in black do they rent with a missing hubcap and mileage matching what shows on the contract? That should be proof enough that dd returned the car she was rented and described in the contract even if the license plate doesn't match the car.

How many of you check that the license plate on the car matches the contract info? We don't. If the colour, make, mileage all match, we never look at the license plate until we are checking into a hotel and need it for the registration.

Dd and ds are on their way up to the car dealership to take photos of the car now so we have proof that it was returned and that it doesn't match the contract.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:49 pm

Taking a break here....really enjoyed going back reading last evening's posts for some reason. Kathryn, I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the car. One of my biggest pet peeves: people not doing their job which makes work for us.

I did a whole house blessing this morning. Took a little less than 3 hours. My house is not cleanable in 1 hour like the plan says. It's too big, with office, 3 bathrooms, etc. And we track in a whole bunch of sand all week.

When I usually clean, I do a lot of focus stuff along the way. Today I tried to limit that since I'd focus cleaned the whole house the week before Christmas. Going to try to do more focus stuff seperately and just a minimal house blessing every week. Cleaning the way I do is too much work at once for me and sometimes doesn't get done because I don't have time to do it "properly".

Does anyone here follow P&P plan the way they designed it?

We will just be home New Year's Eve. I am waiting to find out if DD2 & family will be here at all maybe for a sleep overnight before going home, or for lunch today (soon). I may have to run to the store quick!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:06 pm

We did it got the replacement TV yesterday for $20 at the thrift shop and H. hooked it up last night it is working fine so I'm a happy camper now! Came home to discover the mini coffee pot was cracked ~sigh~ I was so glad I still had the larger one and did not declutter it! Coffee is on, I have bagged up the cookies for the new years eve party and put those in the car trunk so they are not out on the counter to tempt us.

For the New Year's Eve Party @ dd's I have the stuff out of the freezer thawing little smokies etc. and cheese dip ingredients out also. Put cookies in the car already so as not to tempt us. Thinking about taking frosting so it's a frost your own if you want that kids will enjoy it.

Granny duty today in a few min. with the younger two for a half day I need to s2s.

8-) Sunny here today yea for that having cocoa in my coffee with gingerbread latte flavored creamer and surprised how well it tastes!

Reflecting over our year when I did my Holiday letter to my aunt I realized now body died; we actually had a good year got to do camping w/the family, new flooring down, deck is in good repair and I was able to do the yard work again this summer and have regained my muscle strength and tone back and lived to tell about it! So How was your year in review?
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”