Changing circumstances Tuesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Changing circumstances Tuesday

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:21 am

Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine. ~Robert C. Gallagher

Ya know, we're always dealing with change - it's inevitable - and our attitudes and adaptions determine what we make of it. I'm in a period of change - new house by the summer, changing into tax season and long hours (waiting for the shoe to drop!) and transition with dkids growing to responsible adults.

What's your attitude toward change? (Personally, I hate uncertainty and I think that's the worst part of change!)

How do you adapt to changes? Make the most of them, or cringe before them, LOL?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Re: Changing circumstances Tuesday

Postby lucylee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 am

Oh my... y'all KNOW how I deal with change!!! Panic/nausea/I donwanna!!! I am NOT good with change of any kind at all!

But it IS inevitable, isn't it? Nothing ever stays the same. I guess there is a slight comfort in that. Bad circumstances are not going to last forever... whatever our situation is, it is guaranteed to change, eventually.
Right now, I am certainly hoping ds/ddil's circumstances change and ddil hears from the job she is waiting on. STILL waiting on background check to come back -- and there is no way there is anything negative on her background check -- but it seems like it has been almost three weeks! They told her not to look for another job... * sheesh * Maybe she'll hear something today...

I was awake until almost 3:00 a.m. Just couldn't settle down. Reading a book. Wasn't sleepy.
Boy... I hope I can manage to stay alert until 3:00 p.m. :shock:
Tomorrow is another day.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:58 am

I'm with you Twins, with the worst part of change being uncertainty. Once I know exactly what I am dealing with, then I am alright. Usually. :)

Our new furniture will be delivered tomorrow. They called yesterday and scheduled a time for delivery. Yeah! I was afraid that at some point I was going to have a conversation with them, like this (Will we have our furniture by the Super Bowl? No, well will we have it by the Daytona 500?), which is late Feb.

Today I need to get the last of everything from the garage and house brought over. I think dh wants his SUV back. On Dec. 18, I had a load in my car and it wouldn't start, battery dead. Evidently it didn't like being a moving van. :roll: The battery is maybe 2 years old, but the constant opening and shutting of the doors and trunk plus a short drive between each house, did a job on it. Dh put the battery charger on it and when it started later that night, we brought it over here. It has sat in the garage ever since. We had the blizzard the next day. When it rains or snows, I usually drive old faithful 21 year old car. Because I needed his for moving, I took it over and have been driving it ever since.

Well I better hit the shower.............

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:09 am

A wise rocker (I think it was Bon Jovi but it might have been someone else, and it was a tv interview) said that people don't like change but they are ok with progress. That resonated with me.

Today should have some change in it but I'm fighting that. We are under a weather advisory and dh doesn't want to go into the city. I have volunteering, he has his hair cut (and is traveling for 2 weeks so can't rebook) and I'm getting a bangs trim. Plus we have errands to run to get groceries. My volunteering could be skipped, he's willing to skip his hair cut since the next one is in 3 weeks and I could either cut my own bangs or pay my neighbour to do it since she has a salon in her house. But I donwanna and at present the driving is just fine. The bad weather isn't supposed to come until the after noon and the hair cut is at 1 so we could be home by 3:30 at the latest, having done everything.

Of course, the meeting tonight might be canceled so I'll put off baking until a decision is made on that.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 am

Twins another great theme today.

I have been looking at the way I do things,

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 am

Good morning, villagers ~

I'm very happy to report that I've had my hands in fabric the past 2 days. :D

Sunday I spent several hours at the community theatre helping the costumer with hems. 1 long skirt, very full, with flounces -- she wanted it shorter in the front curving into a train. Luckily there was an overskirt and the flounces were attached to an underskirt. I did all of the work to the hidden underskirt and didn't have to mess with the actual ruffled flounce hem -- didn't even need to iron!

1 other skirt needed the same shorter-front-curving-into-train treatment, but it was velvet. All needed to be sewn by hand. The velvet did not want to curve smoothly and fought me the whole time. I stubbornly persisted and forced it to my will! :lol:

Yesterday my sewing group did our annual sew-in for MLK Jr Day. We are making little tote bags for little kids in a preschool program. I cut fabric all day so the others could sew. Cutting is not my favorite thing, but it was fun to play with bright cotton prints all day. It was more fun to chat with my sewing friends!

Tonight is board meeting and I'm still pushing to finish a bunch of reports. I'm having to keep an eye on the weather, lots of accident reports from slick roads this morning. The highway should be in much better shape by late afternoon. I really do not want to try to reschedule this meeting.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 am

A lot of things will be put on hold today because of the weather. It's currently -30C (-22F) with a windchill factor of -39C (-38F). Where's a BRRRRRRRR!!!!!! emoticon when you need it? LOL Of course, in some places in Manitoba, which is about halfway between me and Kathryn, they have windchill factors of -49C (-56F)!!!!! Yes, Virginia, it's freakin' cold out there today!!

The plans for today mostly include laundry and sewing, along with the bathroom I've been avoiding for days. I want to bake some chocolate chip banana bread, supper will be shepherd's pie, and I have a couple of errands I need to run - library, grocery store, and hopefully a Goodwill drop off. Luckily, they're all within a few blocks of here, and my car has been plugged in all night, so should start fine.

So far this morning, I've washed the dishes and cleared some of the counter, cleaned both downstairs litter boxes, taken out the trash, and started a load of laundry. DH came in from work this morning, made a sandwich, and headed straight for the bed and its electric blanket!

I'm going to have my toast & pb, take my meds, and then head upstairs to gather dirty laundry, clean the upstairs litter boxes, and deal with that gross bathroom.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

On thing about baking on such a cold day, the electricity costs you hardly anything since you save some on your heating bill!

It isn't near as cold here, hence the snow. They are calling for up to 8" before tomorrow morning.

The drive into Presbytery was just fine, though and we put the cover over the windshield to stop ice from forming on it. That will save us scraping when we leave here at lunch. Our parking downtown is covered so we may avoid scraping entirely.

No news yet on the meeting tonight but emails are flying. It might be put off until tomorrow, or next Tuesday.

i had a burst of work at the beginning here, but now it is dead quiet because my supervisor and everyone else are in a meeting. I'm holding down the fort entirely since the receptionist chose not to come in today (she lives a long way away and to the north where the driving is often worse.)

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 am

I will have to deal with the cold when I go out later, but for the moment I am ignoring it. We had warm temps for so long, I really can't complain too much about winter cold finally arriving.

I couldn't settle to paperwork until I got the laundry and dishes sorted. They are not out of control yet, but at the tipping point. Now dishes are done and the washing machine is chugging away.

It's time to grab a glass of water and see where I am on those never-ending reports.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Dd2 parks in my driveway to run the boys across the street to school. After that I rode with her and the 2 little girls so that she could run into T arget for formula and to the convenience store, that she likes to get her cappacino at. The girls were still in jammies and it is cold out today. After that I ran to W almart with a return. I had bought a third co detector before the move. As I was packing I found one still in the pkg. and identical to it. As dh says 3 is overkill, so 4 would be ridiculous. Anyway the only time I think about returning it, is as I am walking in WM, everytime. I had bought the wrong eyedrops yesterday, so decided to make a special trip for the 2 returns.

Now I need to load my (don't look lucylee) Kirby and other cleaning items and head to the other house.

This weekend dh is changing out 2 ceiling fans. I have 2 at the other house that match my P faltzgraff. They are H unter brand. So are the 2 that I will be changing out with from this house, so I don't feel bad doing it.

I have finished my library book, so I may take that to the library before I head to the other house.

Is anyone getting the idea that I really don't want to go there?

As much as I don't want to go there, I have no choice, so I better just do it. Really, I am going to quit talking about it and go...............

Return to “Post When You Can”