Summer Sunday Sunshine

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Indiana

Re: Summer Sunday Sunshine

Postby Indiana » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:57 pm

The last few days have held AHA moments.

Breathing - Sometimes I hold my breathe when walking. No clue why. Maybe I think I won't be out of breathe. If I'm out of breath I breath too fast and hyperventilate. I can work on those.

The main one is the reason I was not good mentally or emotionally the other day. I was running a fever and didn't realize I was. When that happens my brain doesn't work and gets mushy.

I took some antibiotic and tylenol. I sat down to see what I wanted to record and set my alarm for the next time I had to be awake. My mind works now.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Up the hill to church this morning. I think I told you we go up about 2000 ft in just a few miles. It is a whole other micro climate up there. Today was Presb. Women Sunday and they did the whole service. One of the best sermons on Revelations I've ever heard. Just too much in one sermon so she rushed a bit.

Now we are going to Wickenburg to get some milk and Valentines for the DGDs. Also birthday card for BIL. Since the post office is right next to the store - we will get them in the mail and they might make it there on time.

Just printed off all the addresses and we will keep the sheet in the pickup for future reference.

YEAH!! for Indiana's working brain. (Please get mine working, now.)
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:20 pm

After breakfast we headed out for the day. First order of business was to take the cable car up to Table Mountain. We bought the tickets online at the hotel (cheaper and no line up at the ticket office) and then took a taxi up to the cable car station. Got there and were unable to see the top of the mountain because of cloud. Decided to hope for the best, despite the 0% visibility sign, and went onto the cable car. Within moments, our view was clouded (pun intended.) The cable car has a revolving floor so everyone gets a taste of the view. At one point I realized that if the cloud cleared we might be looking over Cape Town. Or not. Wasn't sure how to tell. Then we realized we would be looking over Cape Town because the cable was in front of us.

Another thought that hadn't occurred to us as we were packing our backpack for the day, was to bring sweaters because it might be cold on top of a mountain. Within minutes of getting to the top, I realized that if I were to stay, I'd need something warmer than bare arms. Cape Town is known for its winds and while it wasn't windy by their standards, there was a cool breeze up at the top. Actually, it is the breeze that forms the cloud on the top since the wind crosses the warm ocean gathering moisture, blows up the side of the mountain, hits the cool air at the top of the mountain where the moisture condenses into a cloud. Our first stop was the gift shop, where I bought a kikoy, an East African traditional cloth from Tanzania that can be worn as a wrap, scarf, sarong, etc.

Now, while there were no views, we were still at one of the New Seven Wonders of the World and a National Park and the landscape was compelling so we chose to stay and walk around the top. The top is quite flat and the walk was very interesting.

It wasn't all bleak and colourless, there was a splash of colour from time to time. Amazing flowers, colourful birds with lovely bird song, and Dassies. Along our walk there it was completely quiet except for our walking sticks on the path. It was incredibly peaceful.
We spent well over an hour at the top, walking over a mile. Toward the very end, the cloud started to thin and we got a little sense of how high up we were.

We decided not to wait for the cloud to clear completely but to enjoy our lunch in the sunlight below. So we took the cable car down, then a taxi to the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront and enjoyed a picnic lunch assemble from Woolworths. I found the Woolworths inside the big Victoria Mall and knew they'd likely sell groceries because they did when we were in Australia. I hit pay dirt and had a lovely lunch of carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes,crisps (chips), chicken kebabs, a roll and blueberries for dessert, all washed down with a half liter of milk.

From there we walked 2.5 miles along the ocean front.

The surf was wonderful and I enjoyed the sound of it. On the ship we won't hear the ocean because we are on it. I hadn't expected to see pirates so soon in the trip, but one went by and dh got a couple of shots of it. (Actually it is a tour boat.)

We knew we couldn't walk to our final destination for the day so took a bus back to the V&A Waterfront and grabbed a cab from there (we didn't see any cabs along the beach road and weren't sure if we could flag one even if we did see one.) We asked the family at the bus stop how much it would cost (R8 each, just over $1) and I had enough small money for it. As the bus pulled up the kids were super excited and calling out what sounded like "Daddy, Daddy" but I figured it might be Afrikaans. They rushed on board and talked with the driver. I waited for the mother to board but she called the kids back and went around to the driver's window and handed him his lunch! Here I was, busy trying to figure out how to use transit here, and didn't have a meal to offer the driver! Luckily, he took our two R20 bills, gave us change and we were on our way!

The taxi (at R100) took us south to Camps Bay, where there is a lovely beach that reminded us a bit of Laguna in California. We walked over the rocks there, got a different view of Table Mountain. the Lion's Head and the Twelve Apostles. By this time they were all in sunshine.

Finally it was time to eat again. We ended up at a very affordable pizzeria on the second floor of a beach front building, with a window seat overlooking the ocean. It was a lovely meal to end a wonderful day. After dinner, we sat on the beach and watched the sun set over the Atlantic since we don't get to do that when we are at Whitepoint on 'our' side of the Atlantic!

We took a taxi back to the hotel, getting in before 8 p.m. I needed the time to go through the pictures and write this account of the day.

We are very much looking forward to bed. We are both rather red, dh more so than me because I have a full-brim on my hat and he puts the sides of his up.

Tomorrow we'll pack up again, leave of things with the hotel and explore some more in the morning. Then it will be on to the ship.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the SHEM, Twins Mom! What a nice time with dd for you last evening. Gotta love ravioli.

Thanks so much for checking in, Indiana, and I hope you get well soon with no more fever. I've recently listened to Bob Harper the exercise guy saying that for some reason he's found so many people tend to hold their breath as they are doing yoga or a stretch, too, and that he has to instruct them they need to consciously remember to breathe.

Emptynester, traveling out carrying the address, extra stamps, a blue pen that signs easily - that is my saving grace when an occasion pops up unexpectedly!!! Trying to do better about birthdays this year. Oops, I guess I didn't get Valentines to the grandchildren, which would have been fun, but we really don't have that tradition. Hmmm... . This will be dd32's first box-of-Valentines for the whole class year! Awwwww - bet she's already sick of it! :lol:

Dd13 and I just changed the quilt hanging in the dining room from the green and white one to a pastel album quilt. I'm not totally happy because it certainly doesn't warm the room and right now our temps are low. A little too spring-y. Still, there are robins out the dining room window and HRH saw 2 bluebirds, so might as well think pastel thoughts a little early.

I'm trying to get the dining area ship-shape since I know dcousin will be here tomorrow.

For some reason I have a sinus headache. I want to be smart and get rid of it...

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:28 pm

I slept in today trying to get over this bug, then sat and read the rest of a novel of historical fiction I started on Fri.

I made up a wonderful batch of soup with an onion, can of tomatoes, chicken, red beans, some chick peas that I had here in the cupboard. I have the dishes going now and the counters
have been spiffed kitchen looks good. [I may have been just a bit feverish yesterday but not today.]

Clouds were at the top of the hill when I first got up and then gave way to 8-) sunshine later on. I can't believe how late it it.

Neighbors said their kids were ill quite a while with the bug that's going around sounds like what Lo has might be good to call the nurse & see what she says.

Indiana glad you are better.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Back home, and now the desire to get anything done is long gone....sigh.

We did have a nice light supper with dd - it's interesting to see that her relationship with dh is different now - they can tease each other and laugh together. She picked up some candy at the dollar store to make little goodie bags for some of her friends. So sweet. She was somewhat put out last weekend when she was home and we went to ATL for the day on Saturday to take ds' much needed debit card to him.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Guess I've been sorta "quiet" this weekend... I've been reading/cuop, but I've been pretty lazy all weekend. Slept a lot.
Last night we went to see The Descendants. DH did NOT want to see it, thought it would be too depressing, and it WAS sad... but OTOH... two hours of George Clooney AND Hawaii :shock: ;) What's not to love????

This morning, 9:00 a.m. church. There were only about 63 people there, but with the extreme cold (for us) that was probably to be expected. Only three people younger than me were there... probably less than a dozen under age 60! I don't know how this is going to work out. The main problem for us is, after a late movie on Saturday night, 9:00 a.m. church leaves us needing a REALLY long nap on Sunday afternoon. I mean, longer than usual. Now, the problem is, how to get enough sleep tonight for Monday morning? * sheesh * I wish our church could have left well enough alone! :evil:

Talked to dmom on phone tonight.

Need to exercise & grade some papers.

(((BIG HUGS))) for (((LO))) and (((OKay))). Definitely would call doctor tomorrow.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 am

Kathryn, so glad those were tame pirates!! What color(s) in the new garment?

lucylee, when you see problems with the new situation at church, make them known. Others may not be attending because they won't know anyone, etc., but not saying anything. Thinking of young folks staying inside during the coldest times and older folks trying to make their way out then. Well, maybe in summertime it would make more sense, but doesn't to me now.

Ultimately I had to lie down with this headache. Really tried to avoid it, but no choice. There was good and bad in it. Good was that I had one of the most comforting dreams ever, to the point that when I realized I was dreaming, I thanked God for the time in it, and when I awoke I tried super hard to go over everything that had happened and remember as much as I could, even the sounds, some colors.

Bad thing was that my ddad went completely off his schedule without my direction - long story - he did awaken from an earlier nap but somehow got past the rest of the household and went back to bed for more napping rather than eating the meal I had ready for them to give him. HRH and dd are just not used to watching and being vigilant to keep him on schedule. He now has his days and nights mixed up again it seems, and I am up with him now waiting on him to finish a meal after midnight. Not good, but better than other ideas.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 am

Waving to Kathryn over to the west. Sounds like a glorious day.

summer storms is the weather here.
I hung the washing on a stand inside. I could have should have tended pet duty earlier.
Now its raining again. lotza really heavy rain last night. I need watch some local news. Dsis rang in morning to see if I was digging mud out.

OKay - I wonder if LO has asthma. sounds to me like it could be with night air, lying down, exercise giving him fits of coughing. My girls both had it when young.
IKWYM about anxious parenting. Doc visit seems a good idea. bed on a slant. meds. chest rub. seemed to help with mine. Steam.
Croup was the worst imo. scarey as.

Harriet - ugg for mixed up days and nights.
Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Indiana - could you try 4 count breathing. Thats breathing in slowly for 4 (counted ) seconds, then out for 4. prayers for your recovery.
Years ago I have had trouble remembering to breathe - worse when anxiety was a huge issue for me.

Lucylee - ikwym about church times. services here are 7 & 9am and I got to neither yesterday.

waving to everyone.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”