Summer Sunday Sunshine

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Summer Sunday Sunshine

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:25 am

Ok, it is only summer for three of the SHEs right now, but it could be sunny where you are and is probably Sunday (if Lynlee checks in earlier than she usually check in.)

We had a wonderful sleep and woke up to sunshine and warm. It is awfully quiet in this neighbourhood, just the sound of birdsong and the occasional car going by.

The breakfast room is at the foot of the stairs outside our room and by 8:30 we could hear the clink of cutlery and murmur of conversation and managed to get ourselves down there for 9.

Big tables are set up and all the guests eat together. It was lovely. We chatted with a young GP doctor from Bristol, England, who is currently working in a hospital in Malawi. She is in Cape Town to meet up with a friend from England and to take her summer holidays. She's been in Malawi for 3 months and is ready for a break.

Now we are off for our security briefing from the hotel owners (where it is safe to walk, etc.) and we'll head off for the day.

cathyy

Re: Summer Sunday Sunshine

Postby cathyy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:50 am

Sounds like a good start to the day, Kathryn.

I have a busy day ahead. Today is the much-delayed holiday dinner with my son and his family. The brisket has already been in the oven nearly an hour! I hope to do some general tidying up and dusting, but that's about all.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 am

According to our weather forecast, it's supposed to be sunny by later this morning, and get up to 6C today! Not bad for mid-February on the prairies! So far, I've managed to let the dogs out, feed the downstairs kitties, and drink most of a cup of coffee while catching up on some emails.

Now I've got my second cup of coffee, and in a few minutes, it will be time to clean litter boxes, feed the upstairs kitties, and get myself off to work. Sundays are always an easy day with no public to deal with (other than phone calls we need to make). Oh! I need to remember to take my camera today! The amaryllis that a friend gave me for Christmas last year (which bloomed beautifully!!), has grown again, and has a two-foot flower spike with about five blooms on it! Forced bulbs rarely bloom the second year, but apparently I did something right with this one..LOL

*sigh*..much though I'd love to stay and chat, it's time to get moving here.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

OKay

Postby OKay » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Good Morning!

BSweet - Great job on the amaryllis!! I gave one to DParents a couple months ago and it has continually bloomed and been a point of joy for them each day to watch it. I'll tell DMom that yours is blooming the second year so they can look forward to next winter flowers. :)

Another loooong night with LO. Wonder if there is anything that can be done for him if I took him to the doctor. He is fine during the day as long as he doesn't breathe cold air (sets off extreme coughing spells). DParents are having a fit because they haven't seen LO in almost 4 weeks. I've kept him away from them so he won't give them whatever he has. What to do? Keep waiting for it to pass or return to doctor with no fever, no rash, no pain....just a cough that won't quit. I suspect my believablility is slim already... remembering......I was the person who took him to have xrays when he skinned his knee...... :oops: :oops: :roll: ,,,,,...how worse can it be if I take him to the doctor when he is feeling fine and a bundle of energy during the day. I just want him to be able to go outside without getting sick to stomach from coughing.......and to sleep all night...... yes, i think I will take this happy energetic little one to the doctor this week. I'm okay with being known as over cautious. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Cowinkie

Postby Cowinkie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Its certainly sunny here. I went out in my backyard to see how cold it was. I'm thinking of taking Willis for a walk. My mind is willing, but not sure my body is. This stuff is dreadful. Back to the couch. :(
Live boldly, take risk, no regrets...Jillian Michaels

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:38 pm

((Cowinkie)) my heart goes out to you for anything related to lungs. Are they just saying the word infection and nothing more? I'm so glad your Sweetie is keeping an eye on you. Wilis will love a long talk almost as much as a long walk - he knows you don't feel well.

OKay, this is why the doctors get the big bucks. Talk this out with him/her and get the best advice. ((LO))

What color, bittersweet? Pure red or something different? What feeding did you use? I have read that some spray a foliar onto amaryllis, but that may be old thinking. I am sure the paperwhites here will not make it a second year, although their sweet little blossoms are so pretty in the kitchen window right now. (Quite the opposites of your bold amaryllis, for sure.) Wouldn't it be nice if we could just plop indoor bulbs into the ground after blooming and expect them to "forget" their year indoors and continue on?

Kathryn, how are the 2 sets of ankles doing in your traveling party?

Enjoy family time, cathyy.

I need to decide on what I'll wear to the exhibit tomorrow. I have directions to print out, too, although I'm sure ds26 will have done that. Dcousin wants to stop by an ancestral cemetery of ours while we're in that area, but I'm thinking we're going to be terribly uncomfortable on some hillside. He called and wants me to say I'll wear warm clothing, which is probably not the thought I would have had for this exhibit otherwise. If I see he's bringing aluminum foil along, I'll know we are in for a lot of time spent outside making impressions, and dd and I may let ds26 accomplish that with him, depending upon wind chill.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Ankles seem to be doing fine. Mine got really tired toward the end of the day but after all the walking and climbing on rocks that was to be expected.

It has been a long day but we are in for the night now. I'll post again when I get my thoughts in order.

The weather was glorious here - I note too much red on my chest though (despite two applications of sunscreen.) At least I don't have a cross-shaped white spot in the centre - I wore my largest cross today so that might have happened!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:15 pm

On the run this morning to a meeting at temple. I can honestly say that this is one thing of lesser importance to my life right now; I probably should have done up the little financial statement, emailed it in, and said I couldn't be there, but got up this morning and had to get it together.

It's very cold but sunny here today.

Nice evening last night with dd - once I got home from picking up vacuum cleaner and groceries we cooked up cheese ravioli and tossed with pesto, and watched a movie together. She thanked me for the "mom time." She'll go back on the mega bus late this afternoon.

I gotta run...I have car warming up and meeting is at 10 a.m.

Never got this posted this morning....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Haven't taken time to CUOP. Got home from meeting earlier and took a little nap with ddogs, who miss me being home. Going to try for a few rounds of house work now to get ready for the week.

-clear kitchen counters
-straighten family room
-take out kitchen garbage
-clear kitchen table
-start a load of laundry

We are going to take dd out for a late lunch or early supper before we take her to meet Megabus, so I don't have much time. I think that dh is sulking because I'm not into doing something with him today.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:53 pm

SHEM:
To know one's strengths, to know how to improve them, and to know what one cannot do--they are the keys to continuous learning. -Peter Drucker

On to next round:
-straighten up laundry room (dh put back up the shelf which fell one morning last week, it just came back down however, because all he did was to push the anchors back into the holes in the wall. :roll: )
-put away a large basket of laundry
-upstairs straighten up Master bath & bedroom
-put away anything on front or back steps
-go outside (brrrrrr!) and empty cr&p out of my car!

Return to “Post When You Can”