Friday Fulfillment

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Friday Fulfillment

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:55 am

Today is the fulfillment of my reason for taking this cruise. We have four full days at sea now.

I'm now going to sink deep into life on board the ship. To start off, we didn't get up until 9 a.m.

What can you do today to fulfill your goals for the weekend?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Friday Fulfillment

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:30 am

The reason we were so late getting up was that I was up until 1 a.m. working on this travelogue. At some point in the next day or two I'll try and get the pictures up because I'm writing with the pictures now and they truly make the travelogues.

After the stereotypical desert dune scenes of Wednesday, Thursday took us through a range of desert vistas.

At times it was hard to believe we hadn't been transported to another planet entirely.
Other worldly as we were surrounded by grey, black, and sand coloured, rocks and loose stones and a bleak, unwelcoming, environment for as far as the eye could see. It was cloudy, as well, so even the sky was grey.

Of course, our guide was with us to point out the beauty of this environment.

We are still glowing from our 5 hour tour (perhaps that's from the uranium that was everywhere we went?)

The desert is full of surprises. Here are several we encountered on Thursday:

- The variety of life and nature's way of fitting the biology to the geography. Many of the plants we saw literally survive on the moisture from the dew. Others pull water up from below ground, providing moisture as well as food for the animals.

For instance, the dollar plant leaves can be squeezed to produce water to drink. Its dollar plant's seed pod is dry and blows easily across the desert. When it gets wet, it gets heavier and settles into the ground. If the area has enough moisture for growth, a plant will form. If it does not, the seed pod dries out, blows away and tries again in another spot.

- We were given tastes of both the seeds and dried flesh of a fruit about the size of a coconut, like a melon on the inside with a tough skin, flesh, and seeds in the middle. The dried flesh tasted a bit like dried prunes. The fruit of this plant is well protected by a nest of thorns so it is very difficult to pick. The springboks get at it first, eating the flesh, then the birds go in for the seeds and the rodents for the leftovers.

- We saw both one kind of aloe that can kill and another than can heal.

- In such a stark environment, there was still beauty and we saw many beautiful plants. In one case the saying “age before beauty” didn't apply, the plant was about 600 – 700 years old.

- The ground is full of quartz and other rocks. I have a number of pieces that I'll be bringing home with me. Once the sun came out, the desert sparkled and glistened.

- We were taken to the Singing Rocks – we stood on one hill and the other drivers played the rocks on the opposite hill. They rang out with different tones depending on their mineral content.

- Dolomite and Magnetite form the black we saw on both the sand dunes and the rockier surface of the 'moonscape.' The bottom of our runners were covered in black when we got back to the ship.

- As bleak as the landscape appeared, it possessed many signs of life. We saw jackal scat, ostrich tracks, mouse holes and, the fauna highlight was spotting four springboks. We saw beetles that carry the pollen from the male plant to the female plant and help spread the seeds of the plants and a lizard hanging out on top of that plant in order to eat the beetles.

- Money can create toilets, with running water, even in the middle of the desert. Now that I know about all the movie sets around, it makes more sense they'd have such luxurious go huts. Still it was nice of SilverSea to make sure a decent place to relieve ourselves met up with us during the long tour.

- Our guide knew the trails in the desert and confidently took us, and lead the other two vehicles up to his favourite spot. The views were breathtaking but our camera couldn't capture the depth. The 4x4s were parked within 2' of the edge of the ledge.

I had my eyes closed but that still didn't stop my knuckles from turning white on the ride down. Photographic proof of this is found in a shot Ken took out the window that had my hand in it!

- For the first time in decades, the old river bed was a running river and, after hours of desert, we suddenly found ourselves in a lush oasis But after driving up out of the river bed and the brief rest stop at a rest point along the old ox-wagon route, we were back up onto the highway and the sand. What looks like a dirt track but had a speed limit of 100 kph.

- We stopped once more at Dune 7 for those in our tour who had not been there yesterday. That gave me a chance to fill my shoes with sand as I tried to climb up. I gave up after only a dozen yards or so, it was too much work for no visible reward.

Ken climbed up about 1/3 of the way once more. The acoustics were amazing and even though he was about 100m up, he could talk easily with those of us in the parking lot.

We were back at the port just after noon. After emptying the Namib sand from our runners, we went back aboard. At 1 p.m., the ship pulled away from the pier and from the height of the ship we could see clearly how close the desert is to the town, how small the town was and the busy port.

We are now at sea for 4.5 days. We have a map of Africa on the wall of our cabin and have located Banjul, Gambia. It is only about 100 km from Dakar so our sailing time hasn't changed much. In the Observation Lounge are reference books, including a Lonely Planet Guide to The Gambia, so we've read about the city and look forward to seeing what tours the cruise line offers. We had booked a tour for Dakar, so that will be credited back onto our shipboard account. Every penny of the shipboard credit we were given has been spent on tours along the way and even so there are many places where we have nothing arranged. I suspect, our account will not be at zero on the last day of the cruise, but will show money owing.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:35 am

Finally CUOP.

Harmony: I love the idea that it is the ginger I'm allergic to. But I don't think so. I'm not having a lot. The back of my hands have it now too, which really points to the hand soap. Up until now it has only been my legs. My allergy pills keep the itching at bay for now, plus the hydro-cortisone cream I bought just before I left. I'm doing a controlled study – medicine cream on one hand, nothing on the other hand.

(((Indiana))) Thanks to MT, I have the full picture and this is a tough call but the effect on your health is far greater than the risk to others. I'm hoping cooler heads will come up with a solution to this issue.

((((Dee))))

My lost earring from last night was found within 12 hours of my losing it and the ship was asleep for at least 5 of those hours. It was in the Observation Lounge, but with all the cleaning that happens on this church, I knew the earring wouldn't be gone long.

I was tracked down by Duct Tape so now 3 of the 4 posters to Cruise Critic who are on board have found each other in real life. We are still looking for Win Win.

Time to eat lunch now!

helia

Postby helia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:41 am

I was home for all of 2 hours yesterday. I left the house late at 8:30 a.m. for moms group. After moms group, I met with my prayer partner. While finishing cleaning up the room, I ran into a friend and we chatted for a long time, so I didn't get home until almost 2. A little before 4, dd16 and I left for her eye appt. We were running late - but the office was running even later. We got home at 5:55. :shock: Dh and I had dinner reservations at 6 and then a Tallis Scholars (love them!) concert at 7:30. So, I quickly changed and ran out the door with dh - who got home at 6. We were home again at 9:30.

I am not going to WW today; I have not eaten well the past week. I know what I need to do. I also need a day with less running around. Dd16's Bible study small group will be here at 4 pm. She wants one of the friends to stay overnight. Then, she has another friend coming over tomorrow afternoon. I told her I felt that I felt her 3 social events in a row at our house was too much, so I think the friend is not going to sleepover tonight. Also, dh is leaving on his next business trip tomorrow afternoon, and it would be nice to have an evening together as a family. Our evenings have been busy this week.

I will make a quick groc. store run and need to go to a B, B, and B. I may go for a jog with dh along the river. It is supposed to be a nice day today; there is already some sunshine and it should get into the 40s.

With the work being done on the bathrooms, there is always someone in the house - but it's not too obnoxious. The bathrooms are at one end of the house, and I can hang out at the other end or even downstairs in the play room.

I'll come back and read your adventures when I have more time, Kathryn. I'm so glad you're sharing! I spent a summer in Kenya but have not been anywhere else in Africa. I spent most of the time pretty far inland among the Maasai tribes. Dh has been to Ghana for one of his projects which is intended for developing world applications. He spent his time in the poor farming villages in N. Ghana.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 am

(((BIG HUGS))) & prayers, Indiana! Yes, tough situation, but certainly should be seen as a freak occurrence. Jake is OBVIOUSLY a well-mannered, friendly dog and anyone should be able to see that. Is supportive letter from the wounded neighbor a possibility, or has he/she turned against Jake, too? (((BIG HUGS)))
Tomorrow is another day.

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:44 am

Good Morning!

MT - thank you for letting us know about DIndiana & Jake. Wondering if the Dog Whisperer that has previously worked with Jake would have some input?

Kathryn - thank you for sharing the trip. I am enjoying it very much!

I was only up one time with LO last night. He is getting better!!

I am not hitting on all cylinders yet. I am struggling to GMAT. I am determined to not give up so will just keep plugging along one card at a time.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:19 am

It infuriates me when a person is told "DON'T touch his feet (back, ears, tail...whatever)!" yet they do anyways and get bitten, and it's the dog's fault?!?!?!?!?!?!? Don't get me wrong..I'm not saying that what Jake did was acceptable in any way, but the neighbour was warned, for cryin' out loud! Can the administration not see that this is the same little dog that has lived there for the past what? two years? and never been a bother to anyone??

My days off this week have NOT been nearly as restful as I had hoped they would be. DD and I spent most of Wednesday at the ER with DGD who was showing signs of dehydration. All is well now. Yesterday, I had DGS for the afternoon while DD was at mommy's group with DGD. We also dropped off a huge load of stuff at Goodwill for her.

This morning, we're off to the south side for a couple of consignment meets, then I have library errands, a stop at Michael's to pick up yarn for a knit-a-long, quick trip to drop off DD and DGD, grab some lunch, and then off to the west end for yet another consignment meet *sigh* I love that I can get some things I need at great prices through online consignment stores, but it can also take a big chunk of time going to the meets to pick it up! :roll:
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:40 am

Indiana and Dee have both been on my mind since last evening. Selfishly hoping we hear from them - but I know they have a lot on their plates.

Skippable -
Recommendation with some drawbacks for the Oz/Cruise recipe link I gave Wednesday, Skinny (energy boosting) Breakfast Muffin in a Mug. Obviously, you really need to mix the dry ingredients first, so yes, you could make a quantity up in advance for quick breakfasts. HRH says cinnamon affects the rise of baking powder long-term, though. So for a big batch he'd suggest adding either the cinnamon or baking powder as you make the muffin. It really is FUN to see the rise on this muffin in a mug - CUTE. I greased the mug with the coconut oil as Cruise seemed to be doing, and then melted it a little in the microwave so it would mix. You could use butter - wouldn't be as healthy, but would work. Then mixed in egg, then dry ingredients, pop in micro, easy peasy. Smells great, slips right out of the mug, large, but is a little dry (larger egg? more C Oil, maybe?). I cut it in half vertically like two pieces of brown bread and spread butter on it - does that make me bad? HRH says if it is to be called a muffin instead of bread, it could use a second packet of stevia for a little more sweetening. Also, I would think just a pinch of iodized salt couldn't hurt.

Kathryn, I hope your weather continues to be great at sea. It took me a second to understand "Money can create toilets"!

Elizabeth, yes, I would go ahead on your vacation that has been planned.

((bittersweet's dgd))

OKay

Postby OKay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Between 2 sets of elders and one 3 year old I am barely treading water. barely.

Expectations. I need to adjust my expectations.

Harriet - that muffin recipe is one that we discovered on the low carb forum last year. When we were doing extreme LC it was very useful to fill in the craving for bread. Sometimes we substituted almond flour for part of the flaxmeal and it gave it a different look/feel. All good!

helia

Postby helia » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Housekeeping question: Any hints for getting rid of water stains on a stainless steel fridge? I poked around online and as a result, have ordered a product, which is a paste, I believe. Is it OK to mention product names here? If it is, I will later. Anyhow, I have tried some plain vinegar, which did nothing. Earlier, I tried the stainless steel cleaner sample that came with the fridge. Nothing. In the past, I've tried windex and other common cleaners. Nothing. The stains are below the water spigot in the door, 2 stripes increasing in width as they proceed down the door. We do use a water softener, but it has run out from time to time - so maybe they are hard water stains? The plastic under the spigot also has some residue on it of the same sort, I imagine. I can't get it off with Windex or other cleaners. Dh is postulating that it might be Ca build up. Not sure. Any hints are welcome!

Thanks!

((OK)) You have a lot on your plate, and you seem so good with LO and so diligent in your tasks, including caring for others! Wish I could meet up with you IRL and have a cup of coffee with you. :)

Return to “Post When You Can”