SERENE SATURDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

SERENE SATURDAY

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:47 am

That's what I'd like -some serenity!

We had a bonfire tonight. DH just loves sitting out there, says it feels peaceful to him.
There's nothing like a campfire during the summer for relaxation, Harmony. Evidently we got enough rain yesterday that we can have a campfire now -at least for a bit? Very foggy here this morning and we have to travel to Parrish in about an hour. DH & DD are going down for a euchre tournament with friends from our campground. One of dd's co-workers is also going with us.

DD did tell me this morning that the principal called her yesterday because of some very bad name-calling of a teacher by gd. :? Part of me wonders how long before she gets expelled -then what? Feel so badly for dd and everyone concerned actually. When the behavior counselor was here Thursday night he made some suggestions -like "ignore the bad" -yeah right -it's all the time. Know dd is in a real quandry over leaving her with me and dsil this coming week, but she has no choice -it's her job! Know dd said she could hardly talk by the time she got to the end of the conversation with the principal. She also called gd's therapist and told her what's been going on and the 'ever-increasing spiral' she is on.

DD has gone to take gd to soccer camp for the day. DSIL usually goes to temple on Saturday but the times are not working out (he has to pick gd up at 1pm) It's usually at least that late before he's out.
But dd needs this time away -no question.

I spent a good deal of the night coughing. Pretty sure it's allergies.

I bought a double USB port for my cigarette lighter spot in the car. This way I can charge my phone and my K indle (or dh's) in the car. If anyone else wants to know -I bought it at W a l g r e e n's for $9.99. DH bought me a single for Christmas but this will be even better.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Re: SERENE SATURDAY

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:02 am

'Morning, Dee and villagers! I'd love some serenity today - unfortunately, working all day today probably doesn't lend itself to serenity. I'm hoping I near the end of my computer woes at work; I'm back at my workstation, but needing the IT guys almost continually to reinstsall/tweek things so not at full productivity.

For the some reason the coffee is extra good this morning - I'll have a bagel and fruit breakfast after I get to work....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:16 am

I decided to 'try' a cup of coffee this morning, too, Twins. It did taste good to me -though I've had very few cups all winter. For some reason it just doesn't peek my interest in the morning.

Still waiting for dd and dh to return so we can take off again. Still foggy. Hoping it's less so as we travel towards the Gulf.

Met our new Interim Minister yesterday. Think we'll like working with him. I've been going in to church each Friday and 'helping' the secretary. She seems to like a second person working with her but I'm trying to be careful not to overstep my bounds. We've tweaked a lot on the Sunday bulletin over the weeks -getting people used to some changes. The new minister gave us his things for the March 4th one already and I think it's a good thing that we've been subtly, slowly changing things.

Better finish getting my things ready to go. dh will be home any minute!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:47 pm

It is easy for me to be serene, we are at sea again today.

I did a load of laundry, napped, read, played trivia and ate. Also exercised.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:40 pm

As I walked in from the boys basketball game, the phone rang. The guy told me that he has always wanted to live in that house. He said he did a double take when he seen that is was for sale. I told him we were having an open house tomorrow but we could show it to him today. He called his wife and we all met over there. Dh was already there. He is great friends with our neighbor to the west. He told dh that he had told his friend that if we ever sell the house, he is buying it. He seems sold on it. He has a landscaping business and runs a car wash. The owner is building a new one. You drive onto this platform and it pulls you thru as it washes. I know where they live and it's a smaller house and if it has a full basement, the 2 houses probably have comparable sq. footage. She told me it was a lovely home. Dh has always said when the right guy sees the garage it will sell. This guy has a shop north of town. He would love to have his stuff on his property. All I can say is it's a win/win for all of us, if this goes thru. At first I kept thinking that I wish we hadn't decided to have an open house right off the bat. Then I realized that whoever really wants it will get on the stick and be willing to pay at least close to the asking price. While I have been typing another call came in. I told her we were having an open house but that we could show it today and she said they will just come then.

Well I better head over there and get busy.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Very serene here too! I went to sleep thinking what I was going to do differently today and woke up determined to have a good day. I've been following my hourly schedule with about 90% success and it feels energizing to know what I want to accomplish AND to actually do it.

DDIL called and we had a good visit while I was cleaning up the kitchen after lunch. She is tackling paperwork organization so DSon bought her a scansnap like I use. She was asking how I organized and store everything digitally. It was fun to discuss organizing details. Does that make me weird? WAIT....I don't think I want to know the answer that question!! :lol:

Harriet - I missed answering your question about flaxmeal. We use Forti-flax Barleans brand found in the refrigerator section. Not sure if it is better/worst than any of the other brands. A health mentor recommended it to me years ago and I've just stuck with it.

Lilac - WOW OH WOW! That is wonderful to have a buyer immediately! Hope it all works out.

helia

Postby helia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:34 pm

I've felt kind of down and out of it the last few days, but 2 nights of 9 hours sleep each has helped a lot. Also, I've been able to keep a sore throat with which I've been flirting all week from becoming too uncomfortable. It's still there but is rather mild.

Somehow, in the last 2 days, I've managed to get the cupboard in the kids bathroom downstairs organized, and the bathroom is cleaner than it has been for awhile - and it is staying that way. I've started scrubbing the tub, so I need to finish that and then mop the floor and I'd say it is in excellent shape! Maybe our moving into that bathroom during the reno. is actually a good thing! At least, the bathroom is getting some sorely needed attention. :)

I've started "decluttering" one of dd16's closets and I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. She is a pat rack, no doubt. There is everything in there from 8 months of empty pill bottles (I was able to talk her out of those) to what looks like a majority of all her school papers from the last 2 years, a microscope + supplies, rock collections, stamp collections, a good supply of new unused binders and folders, journals (multiple) started but never finished, 3 large tubs of scraps of material, beading supplies, knitting supplies, other craft supplies, books, a box of sea shells (mostly broken but she wants to keep them), candy that is 1-2 years old (she was willing to throw it away). . . It is a large closet and a couple years ago, I had the bright idea of putting shelves in it to help keep it organized. The result was that dd16 had more space to collect stuff. And she does not part with anything very easily. I've also been storing the extra pillows in there. . . Anyhow, I've done enough for today. Finding the pill bottles and the ancient candy was just the icing on the cake this afternoon. Fortunately, my reaction was toward uncontrollable laughter rather than anger or despair. .. .Heavens, we need to continue praying for her future husband!

Dh's flight has been delayed. He'll be leaving in 30 minutes. Dfriend should be here at 6 with her 3 kids (1 ds' age - his best friend, 1 a UM student, one in town working) and Chinese food to share with all. After dinner, dfriend and I and maybe dd16 and dd13 will go to their house to watch a movie. They have a very large TV screen. We are stubbornly sticking with our low tech 18 year old TV. We don't watch TV, but I'm thinking a larger screen might be nice for when we get netflix movies.

Anyhow, this has been a serene Saturday. No small group tonight since too many of the families will be out of town. Kids' midwinter break is the coming week.

The words "serene" or more specifically "serenity" always bring to my mind the Australian movie The Castle. It's quite a funny movie! Maybe Lynlee has seen it. . . .

Speaking of films, dh, ds, and I watched The Third Man last night. It is a very good movie, well-written, good dialogue. Dh and I had seen it before. It is written by Graham Greene.

helia

Postby helia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:50 pm

--Adding. . . the lead female character in The Third Man is rather weak, sentimental, and flighty, imho. But that may have been the trend during that time.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Serene, what a wonderful concept! Course, if things are too serene (not very often) I tend to get lazy and laid back about chores...I get lots more done with the adreneline rush of deadlines!

Wow, good job on the decluttering, helia.
I would love to be able to store everything digitally, OKay, but I trust my files more than I do my computer...not brave enough for that yet.

Lilac, that would be so awesome if you would sell your house right off the bat. I know (from our experience) how much stress that would take off. Our renters are nice and have been good with our property and paying, but there is a level of concern there...I worry about his income which is way down in the winter, about their dogs and birds, about his problems with IRS (someone stole his identity). And lately he got in trouble for having too many yard sales....good luck with your open house.

Kathryn, your trip sounds wonderful. I loved your description of the desert yesterday. I would have wanted to take home lots of those rock but my suitcases would have been way too heavy!

Dee, is there anything new with your insurance?
Twins, I hope all your computer problems disappear soon.

Went out this AM with DH to jobsite and helped him measure up, though the homeowner wanted to chat with me and her husb. ended up helping instead. We made another stop or two on the way home, grabbed lunch too. I have helped him letter a plan and send email. Now I'll be back at my sewing. Hoping to make some good progress on it today.

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I haven't caught up. I have been working on options. I will post in members tomorrow for ideas.

Return to “Post When You Can”