SERENE SATURDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: SERENE SATURDAY

Postby Harriet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:09 pm

TVs - I remember when I won a beautiful 15" or 16" ? color television set from a drawing at a local bank that was opening. I was thrilled. It was much nicer than the black and white we had had. This would have been early 1980s. My late dh's boss came over and made fun of what a small screen it was! :roll: Even then! Screen-size "status"!

Lilac, that is amazing good fortune for someone trying to sell a house. Your city/area must have a real estate market much better than any around here. I hope someone who will really appreciate the house is the one who gets it.

helia, I know exactly how your dd16 feels - so many projects, so many interests, creativity just bursting out, but so little time! Yes, keep reminding to toss the non-creative, uninspiring or cluttery things - she doesn't really want them, she just can't see them.

All best wishes, Indiana.

helia

Postby helia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:35 pm

LOL @ "screen size status." Harriet. As usual, you have hit the nail on the head. :) There are other status symbols of which we remain blissfully detached, including the fancy car status symbol. We do have our weaknesses, but not in vehicles or technology in general. --Ironic, since from one point of view, technology development is what puts the bread and butter on our table.

Lilac, I just wanted to chime in my glee with others!! :) It sounds like your house is going to sell fast!! Houses are selling here, but I don't know how fast.

Will wait to hear Indiana's options.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:59 pm

Yes, hoping you are coming up with some good ideas, Indiana. Also hoping your admin. changes their minds about it all.

We still have two tv's that are the old style. One small one in guest bedroom and one bigger in family room. DStepson looked at it and complained that if that was the best reception we could get off our dish, we should complain or switch lol :lol: and we told him nothing wrong with the dish, it was the ancient TV. It's staying as long as it works!

Dinner & dishes done.
Gave DH a haircut. I told him to leave his tip on the dresser. He said here's a tip: Save Your Money. HaHa, we figured out I've saved us over $2000 in haircuts since we've been married. Anyway, after all this time I'm better at it. It used to take me forever to do it, now I get it done pretty quickly.

We put up all the big plastic sheets folded up on top of shop shelves. We had tried to use these on the trees when it got cold, but they didn't work. Nice to have them off the porch.

Going to sew a bit tonight.

OKay

Postby OKay » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Helia - thanks for the movie recommendations. Since getting the Kindle Fire & Amazon Prime combination (15000 free shows) I am feeling like a kid with endless candy supply and I don't know where to start.

I'm the bad girl on techie toys. I want them! We bought a second KF yesterday for DH birthday gift. Although it was a gift, I was pleased when I realized that two months of no cable/satellite TV paid for it. We have nice new big TV (60" I think) so it seems funny to me that DH and I prefer to use 7" screen (KF) because of the mobility.

Yesterday I went shopping for LO some new PJ's and shirts. He is outgrowing EVERYTHING. I was frustrated because I didn't find any winter PJ. They already had summer PJ out but he kicks the covers off then gets cold so he can't wear them yet. Out of frustration I bought him some thermal underwear to sleep in, but they are 't loose and comfortable like PJ's and he didn't like them. Today I went to thrift store and found 4 sets of winter PJ's that fit him perfect. YES!! I came home wondering why I shop the stores instead of going to thrift store first.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:54 pm

prayers for a solution for Indiana & Jake.

Helia is right - If you can find a copy of Aussie movie The Castle - watch it. A great feel good movie. Life lessons /acceptance there too.
I heard the producer saying his father was the inspiration for much of the Darryl Carregan lead in an interview lately.
Also I'm sure there was an actual case of someone loving to live by the airport who did do the legal hooplah to stay put.

Lilac - Hoping the right person wants to pay a good price for your home. Great that there is 2 may be interested parties.

I took myself to the city art gallery yesterday. Lots of fun.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:26 pm

This morning I took time out to watch 90% of the funeral for Whitney H.

I de-cluttered my planner pages that made it weight less so I was happy about that!

Had trouble getting the net to work this morning then was gone to the biker lunch with the has been bikers that was some thing we looked forward to it was sort of a reunion for us. The took our photo a couple of times as a couple. Good to touch base. H. had enough punches so we only had to buy one meal the other was free that is always a good thing. The changed the baked chicken recipe I did not like it as well.

Then we went to the indoor yd. sale I did not find any thing but had fun seeing a gal I went to high school with that was a nice treat.

We stopped by the thrift shops on the way home and I got a tin for cookies and a couple of puzzles they were all there too I was delighted to find that out they were to replace two the dgd uses here one has a missing piece and the other is tattered.

I finished crocheting another puppet this one is green striped.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Late this afternoon dh had his big garage door open, things out in the drive and he was vaccuming his garage. I seen an SUV pull up out back. The guy talked to him and then called someone. Within minutes a large SUV pulled up. Between the 2 vehicles there was a couple about our age, their dd, her dh and 5 kids. The dd and family had moved away a year ago. They have decided to move back. They were wasting their time and ours, that house just isn't big enough for that many kids. The dh of the dd also has a 21 son and 17 daughter. He didn't look old enough to have kids that age, and his wife didn't look a day over 18. Their oldest was probably 10, at least. Those kids all but swung from the ceiling fans. If we still had beds there, I'm betting they would have jumped on them. The adults were all very nice but we were glad to see them go.

There were 2 more local calls on our home phone but they didn't leave a message or call back. I'm thinking we will have a good turnout. I turned the thermostat down to 60, so that we can start a fire in the pellet stove but we don't want it getting too hot.

In 41+ years of buying groceries, I have never bought bad bananas. Yesterday I bought a bunch of 8, they were still green at both ends and look perfect. I peeled 4 today and they were black inside and mushy. I can tell the other 4 are the same way. I hope I can get around early enough in the morning to take them back to W almart. The brand is Turbana. That is all they have had for several weeks and they have been fine. I think maybe these were frozen at some point.

helia

Postby helia » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:08 am

OK, just FYI - The Castle does have some language in it in case you are thinking of watching it with little ones.

Another one of our favorite Australian movies is The Dish. I think dh and I were laughing outloud at some points during this movie. I believe it is based on true events of the Apollo 11? mission, but details have been altered to make for a good (and humorous!) movie.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:19 am

bittersweet, you're not a twit. I wanted you to know dd13 today found it necessary to write in white-out on the side of a black metal bookcase that she can see upon awakening :

Wake up and get to work
so you can be a success in life!

(She can have a little trouble with motivation!)

I have exercised. There were so many dishes today, and I am actually leaving some soaking which is unusual for me - just not quite enough reason to hand wash after a long workout session, I guess.

Thrift/Goodwill stores - dd32 and I have found it is feast or famine. A few times we have been amazed to find exactly what some child needed, other times we were hard-pressed to find anything. But the chance was always worthwhile, and I'd be going by there anyway with declutter donations.

helia, we recently noticed "The Invisible Woman" half-way through and watched a bit. I was interested to see the female lead take matters into her own hands and rescue her male companion (not love interest), even in this black-and-white 1940 science fiction movie. There were comedic aspects to the movie as side plots, but she was consistently a force to be reckoned with. Fun old-time theater.

I feel I have to tell lucylee I've changed shampoo/conditioners since we've chatted about taking care of colored hair in the past. I've switched from the "L'O real EverPure sulfate-free for colored hair" to "New S uave Professionals Keratin Infusion Color Care with lower sulfates" in gold colored bottles. After 3 uses, I'd say It seems to improve/soften the texture of my hair, which had gotten a little straw-y over the last 5 or so years, possibly a result of coloring, but more likely of being older, or the hypothyroid thing.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm having all sorts of problems with my computer here, or our village...??? Please delete the above quoted post...I have no idea how that happened. I came in and saw a different poster and clicked on that from the index page to read hers first, then I went back a day to read the last of Sat night and here this was. I tried to edit / delete but that wouldn't work. Sorry, I do hope I haven't erased hers from Sundays, if so please transfer it back...geeze....what am I doing????

Return to “Post When You Can”