Monday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
OKay

Re: Monday PWYC

Postby OKay » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 am

Good Morning again!

I am behind and everything seems harder than it should because of that. This is a good reminder to me how important it is to take care of seemly little things before they become BIG things!

Today's goals -
** menu planning/meal prep back on schedule. DH and I are doing low carb again so I dug out my previous LC menus and went over them with DH. He liked all the meals so it is fairly easy to put together detail menu/groceries list for the next couple of weeks.
** Grocery shopping trip to Sam's with a 3 year old helper. Always an adventure!
** LO lessons for today. We are doing 18 lessons a month (180 school days = 90 days per semester = 18 days per month)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 am

Almost recommended a magazine article about cleaning.
After reading, though, there were so many tips with which I disagree (either sanitary issues or assumptions that everyone is rich), I can't recommend it. However, I will give the main point, since it is not what some of us are doing. It was that it's faster to clean by doing one task all over the house at the same time than room-by-room. Dust the entire house until you are completely finished and put dusting things away, vacuum the entire house until you are finished and put the vacuum away, etc. I can believe that that is faster, if only because you are pulling the vacuum out one time and putting it away one time - some of us may really be benefiting from this. But it doesn't answer my need for an organized understanding of where I am in my chores.

As Indiana suggests to us with Focus, I do much better rotating between completely separate room-by-room needs, even for weeklies, for instance facing a bathroom's needs as a completely different animal from a dining room's needs, etc. This may well be mental, but right now at least, I need (crave) starting/stopping places for reference to keep on track and feel relaxed about it. Maybe someday I'll experiment with all-over-the-house tasks again.

Emptynester, with your first words about paintings, I immediately thought, "she could paint her own and like it as well".

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49 am

MT, you have posted some beautiful pictures on your blog that would be wonderful printed, matted and framed. I too, know that if you decide to paint pictures, that you would do a great job.

Glad to hear from Kathryn!

jquandt88

Postby jquandt88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:52 am

Morning everyone again. I went to bed again after the last post. I think I have a little bit of the flu that everyone is getting around here. I am, however, up again and getting ready to work.

Bernice-nice to know you will be posting not lurking

Lilac-I made a collage of my favorite pictures for my livingroom wall a few years ago. I liked it but my kids LOVED it. They were sad when they came for Christmas and it had been replaced by my stocking wall. I say go for it!

Off to the copier to make copies...

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Welcome to Bernice, Kally, and jquandt88! Good morning to all!

Last night the Ken Davis Comedy this was good, but timed so no dinner for us that irritated me but I lived. ~ sigh ~ Got there when the doors were supposed to open 5:15, and quite a line already; six was when it started, 8:30 when we were done and home ten to nine just in time for my evening meds. It was good to see dson & his family.

Today I have granny duty for dd's two dgson has 3 weeks of home work to catch up on! OMG! sigh so we will not be able to have much fun with him today. Oh well time to pay the piper I suppose.

Well I need to get in gear. Harriet that's how I like to do it dust all the window sills ect. when I do it and all the carpets upstairs etc. I realize that you can't organize away troubles they come any way bummer!

No rain yet today here so that is good I suppose. I feel slightly better today than I did yesterday I'll be glad when this bug is gone for good!

Dd wanted me to watch the kids at their house but I like to do it here, don't have to keep the wood stove going extra work for me I tend to forget and it gets cold they do have other heat
but sil does not like to use it sigh. With the open concept for the kit. living & dining room it's way to distracting for dgson when he's doing home work.

helia

Postby helia » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:27 pm

Harriet, I agree with you. I suppose that method IS faster, but for me, at least, it would preclude other tasks that I must fit into the smaller chunks of time I live in, due to a fairly busy and varied schedule . Maybe this just reflect my poor cleaning habits, but doing a task throughout the house would require such a large chunk of time, that I could rarely get to more than 1 task at a time. And mentally/emotionally, I get more satisfaction out of seeing a single room clean (dusted, vacuumed, tidied, scrubbed, etc.) rather than one task completed throughout the house, for example, the entire house dusted - but not vacuumed, etc. Yes - different rooms require different tasks too.

I finally gave in and took a sudafed. My nose is both stuffed and running like a faucet. :? I was going to get in a jog today, but may give my body a rest.

Workers were here but have left. One went to get a part and then off for lunch.

I'm off to the groc. store.

jquandt88

Postby jquandt88 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 pm

scripts-copied! Now I have to work on the house....darn it! Oh well, laundry next and that darn pantry room that is turning into a junk room.

I do run through the house on Monday's and dust everything that is not cluttered. Then I go around with the windex and do all the window/mirror/hard surfaces. It only takes a few minutes if I don't obsess about it and I feel a bit better when it's done.

Then I run a sweep through the house and call it "picked up" (as opposed to clean)

Kally

Postby Kally » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I ended up not getting my lab work done this morning, instead postponed it until later in the week. Yep, my name is Kally, I am a procrastinator!

I'm not sure which method of cleaning I prefer, room-by-room, or one task throughout the entire house. Have done both at various times. My biggest problem is just doing it!

Thinking of (((Twins' Mom family and Moses))). Hope all goes well with the surgery.

It is almost noon & I have accomplished very little. Laundry is the first order of business.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: cleaning methods, there are some chores that need done all at once here. I would never vacuum just one room because DH and I would track stuff from other rooms right back in there. Sometimes though I will wet mop just one room if the others are pretty clean, I most often do that in the kitchen. Sometimes I clean all 3 bathrooms, sometimes just 1 if the others haven't been used. I have methods, they just change according to what's needed.

It's so nice to have new faces around here.

MT your picture and painting ideas sound wonderful.
Twins, I'm praying for Moe and his surgery. I know that's hard for you.

Our tenant called yesterday. They have a big rhodesian ridgeback dog and a driver swerved to avoid him (was he in the road?) but she went off the road into their grass and killed him. I just wonder if he came charging out to bark at the car...but he was a nice dog and I am sorry for them.

I'm being brave and starting to wash all the linens we've used on the plants. Hoping I'm right and there'll be no more frosts. I have 4 sheets and 2 big beach towels washed and hanging. Jquandt88, how is your laundry coming?

Desk chores done including checking the bank to make sure they were closed and couldn't take my deposit. :oops: Dailies all done. LOL folded. Big pick-up in master bedroom. Helped DH take apart and fix his drafting lamp which had a bad switch. I held things while he soldered wires, ground plastic to fit, etc. and it works fine now. He signed my valentine "Your Handyman" I guess he is!

Indiana

Postby Indiana » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Still working.

Return to “Post When You Can”