Ash Wednesday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Ash Wednesday PWYC

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Wind is blowing so hare it’s blowing the paint off the house here. jk
Dd said some singles really did blow off their roof and the guys are up there trying to fix it now. :o
Internet is sketchy
made a red puppet last night dgd picked the yarn for that one have a cranberry colored one going now.
s2s x
:arrow: Next up
spiff kit.
breakfast
laundry day here
granny duty all day begins in a bit.
~*poof*~
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Good morning! For some reason I already need a nap. Why? Last night, I survived Girls Night Out, balanced my checkbook, exercised, and went to bed at a reasonable time. Today at payroll, it's more flowcharts, but not the hideous one. I need to find some tax info and a check amount. I have already ordered more cat meds. Tonight I need to pick up the cat meds, buy a tool to remove caulk, pay bills, and work on unsealing the bathtub. There is no dinner at church tonight, so i guess I ought to figure out dinner too. Cereal? Today I brought my lunch in, continuing the austerity measures.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Taking a breather.

Swept off front porch. Swept floors inside. Leaves are gone until the next big wind. Nancy, you should get a kite! Me too.

LOL hanging up. 1 bathroom cleaned. Kitchen picked up.

I got all ready for this afternoon, updated and printed 2 files, made out envelopes ahead of our writing out the cards, had breakfast. DFriend called to cancel! She has a horrendously busy schedule. We've rescheduled.

So now that leaves time for sewing! Yay!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:18 pm

bittersweet, now as a general rule, don't stay up all night and then go driving off to the mall! Good job on all the work you've gotten done.

School run and Morning Daily Card done well here - just put the folded clothes away to finish the remaining chore from MDhour. I had an omelet for my breakfast and a sweet potato with a pat of butter for my lunch.

Kitchen has come up in decluttering for me this week. Focus is on outdoor, and though I have a little I can do out there, there's not much, so I can concentrate on our bedroom again.

I need to make a decision about a dental appt coming up a bit fast. There are just so many appts, especially for my ddad, that seem higher priority than that.

Feeling badly about the other house, that there is so much I could be doing over there. I wish during dd13's long weekend we'd spent more time on it. Probably won't be long until dd32's family wants to come visit again and it will require some time.

Birds - I don't believe I've ever had a bird enter the house. That must have been an eye-opener.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Just found out there is a service at church at 6 pm. Makes sense, it is Ash Wed, but I didn't know about it. Guess that reorganizes my night's schedule.

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Glorious sunshine soaked up. We stayed outside all morning and came indoors when it was time for lunch. I had to sit down outside once this morning to rest. I pulled a wagon up to round bale of hay and took a much needed break! LO didn't feel the need for a break and just kept playing. It is sooo very wonderful to see him full of energy, playing and not a sign of being sick.

I've ordered 100 concrete blocks and they should be delivered any moment. I'm going to use them as the border surrounding the new raised garden beds. Each block weighs 49 lbs.....which means 4900 pounds to be lifted, carried, put down and positioned into place. I think that will do nicely for my exercise this week. :) I am very VERY thankful that I am physically able to do this. Especially when I remember that I had a broken back (car wreck) almost 4 years ago and doctors were talking surgery & back brace.

LO is down for his nap. I will leave in few minutes to pick up DGS14 from school then pickup DGS16 & GF from their home. If the wind stays calm, we will use the fire pit to cook our meal. If not, we will cook it indoors. Followed by a walk together then attending church before taking everyone home.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:21 pm

I've been letting Ghana sit with me overnight while I figure out a way to express our day.

We chose the seven hour tour that took us from the port of Takoradi, down to the Cape Coast Castle, on to St. Georges (or Elmina) Castle and then a luncheon and cultural show at a luxurious resort on the ocean.

One of the advantages of taking the longer tours, is that they take us away from the port or the town we are in, and out into the countryside. We found that worked well for us in Bali and the Philippines.

Cape Coast was a 1.5 hour drive away from the ship so we got to see a good deal of the contrasts in the country, although we never veered very far away from the more prosperous areas along the coast.

My impression? Yet another African country I hope to return to someday. Ghana is closer to the life I expected to see in Africa, so it was much less of the 'bubble' feeling that Cape Town and Namibia had. There we saw wonderful sights and disturbing sights. Our tour yesterday didn't take me out of my comfort zone because we were whisked by things in an air-conditioned bus but to really experience the country we will have to do just that. Even the luxury resort where we had lunch was roughing it by North American standards.

Yesterday, we saw a country full of energy, education, industriousness, and potential. Our guide was very proud of the fact that democracy has remained in place since 1992 after several false starts since their independence in 1957.

I think this is the first developing country I've been to where I haven't seen signs for KFC or McDonalds or other global chains.

What I saw instead was enterprise after enterprise, people working, technology in unusual places, and schools. Public schools, church run schools, technical schools, and a university - education of some sort was easy to spot in each of the communities we drove through which gives me great hope for Ghana's success. In my travels, I've come to the conclusion that my overseas charity dollars are best directed towards education projects, part of the reason why we support a specific charity working to establish a library in a small town here in Ghana.

The schools were what you'd imagine, buildings with large open windows to let in the light.

Traditional ways of life seem to be blended with modern.

I have a shot of an electronics store, next to 'With God Fashions.' We saw treadle sewing machines set up on the 'front porch' of the dwellings so women could sew in the light. Some were collectives, some were singular. We saw a 'school' to train the women on running a cottage industry business.

It was Tuesday, a day of rest for the fishermen, so we got to see the fishing boats hauled up on the beaches and the nets being mended. Tuesday is also market day so we saw the teeming market place that was set up at one of the toll booths we passed by.

The country is about 55% Christian but this is a Christianity that is proclaimed daily, not just on Sunday. We got a great kick out of the business names.

Goats, and chickens were everywhere. We even spotted two goats on the second storey of an unfinished building!

We saw flamingos and lizards as well.

Children were everywhere. The little ones were with their parents as they worked. The older ones were in the schools.

We saw more of the walking that I talked about from Namibia. This time often with amazing loads balanced on the heads.

From a history perspective, we were taken to two slave 'castles', one British, one Portuguese. At Cape Coast, we were taken to the suffocation room, where rebellious slaves were thrown to literally be suffocated to death, their bodies then left out on display as a warning to the others.

We descended a few steps into the room and stood there, our eyes adjusting to the light from a 40W bare bulb, in a room that felt airless after only a few minutes of being in it. And that was with the door open. The guide summed it up best when he said, “We can only say, 'May their souls rest in peace.'” There simply are no other words to add.

We stood in the cells where up to 200 slaves would be packed for up to 2 months at a time after being sold and branded, awaiting the ships to take them away. We walked through the Door of No Return to see where the slaves would be loaded onto the ships. And we got to see the sign on the outside, leading back, which calls it the Door of Return since people are now bringing the bones of the slaves back to Ghana to be buried in Africa.

The sense I had from the guide was that there is genuine regret for the part that Ghanians played in the process (after all, the slave traders never ventured inland, the slaves were brought to them by the tribes willing to trade.)

After Cape Coast, we were taken to St. George's Castle which is the oldest, sub-Saharan European building still standing (it is 530 years old.) There the focus was more on the female slaves and what they went through. The Portuguese built the castle for the ivory and gold trade but converted the store rooms to dungeons when the slave trade replaced those.

This was the entrance to the cell where they'd starve to death the rebellious slaves.

We left the walls of St. George's and walked across the street into the fishing harbour, having a few minutes to walk around. From there we then drove to the Coconut Grove Beach Resort to enjoy a lovely lunch by the beach and to watch a cultural show.

At this point we felt completely removed from all that we had seen and learned through the day. The two hour respite over, we headed back to the port, retracing our steps. This worked well for me since I had a chance to take shots of things we had seen on the other side of the street.

The most chilling site of the day was not the poverty in the fishing village, but the prison and the arms reaching out through the bars as we drove by. This was not some relic from long-ago history, but part of the here and now.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Today was another glorious day at sea. Calm seas, sunshine and warm temperatures are making the days perfect.

We had a delightful dinner with a couple from Houston.

Life is good.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Thank you for sharing your trip, Kathryn. I can see where a tour like that would indeed be thought provoking.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Beautiful day here, mid 70's. Dd2 and I took the 2 little ones to the walking park. Then we picked dgd15 and her boyfriend up and we all went to the zoo. It was too nice of a day to be indoors. After dd2 dropped me off, I worked in the yard picking up trash and then digging up dandelions, some old, some new. If I would have known this would be my yard, I would have been digging up the dandelions out of her yard that bugged me last year. :roll:

Return to “Post When You Can”