Thursday Thrift

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Thursday Thrift

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:53 am

How do you use thrift to prosper your household?

Thursday is the traditional day for grocery thrift in the US and newspapers will be thicker than usual with flyers suggesting store specials.

How are you re-purposing items around your home for thriftiness? What tips or tricks do you have for making the household budget stretch?

I believe that I think thriftier thoughts in an apron! 8-) It gives me a sort of "you can't pull the wool over this homemaker's eyes" attitude! :| ;)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thursday Thrift

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 am

Another sea day for me.

I wasn't in bed until 12:30 so it was a slow start to the morning. I decided not to work out and dh came back to the cabin, noting that because of rain the exercise room was full. So we got going a lot faster than usual and had a leisurely breakfast as a result. We ate on the back deck because it is well covered and it is still warm. There was lightening and thunder and it was all rather cosy.

At 10 we went on the navigational bridge tour. That was very interesting. This Captain is very friendly and we were up there almost an hour. He was quite open, talking about the pirate risk. In the last few days, spotlights have been mounted on the outside corners of the ship and an armed guard is on watch in the night. Apparently the watch has been doubled even in the day time. The risk to us is very small – we are easy to take but worthless, just $100K in cash, the passenger jewelry but having to control 500 people, as opposed to 2 million gallons of oil and only 15 people to overpower.

After the tour we literally went back to bed for an hour and then had our lunch. I just had my eye brows shaped for the first time ever. I love the girl I've been using for such things so am anxious to try and spruce myself up a bit. She's a down-to-earth Irish girl so understands my wanting to be the best “me” I can be without being someone else. We gave up on trying to do a full facial since my body is still reacting to whatever it is reacting to. My legs have been fine for the last few days but my hands are itchy as all get-out.

Now I'm waiting for 4 p.m. to come around for tea time. I'll just grab a quick scone and then beat it down to the lecture on African Aid and Development. We've been spending a lot of time with the lecturer and are looking forward to this particular one.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am

Harriet, thrift is certainly on my mind. Yesterday I talked to the lady who handles real estate ads for our paper. It is $445.00 for it to run Monday thru Friday in a small classified ad section and then to run it with a picture in a 2 x 3 ad on Saturday. That is for 4 weeks. Gulp! When you start adding up how much the taxes are per month, plus the utilities, it starts adding up quick. We have not heard back from the guy who was so excited about it. There is no denying that he wants it but maybe his wife isn't cooperating or they can't afford it or or or......... I have been in a funk all week over trying to sell that house. Last night I was ready to throw in the towel and call a realtor. Dh wants to wait a few weeks and see what happens. All I can see is a lot of money draining away, then even more if we have to have a realtor. Sorry to be such a downer so early in the morning. I talked to the lady again this morning and it will cost $52 to run it just on Saturdays. I paid for 5 weeks. If it sells before then we will get a refund. At this point I would just be happy for it to sell in that time frame.

Last night I had acid reflux and could not get to sleep laying down, so I ended up in the recliner.

Usually I shower early and am ready to go with dd2 while she gets her a cappacino. This morning my hair wasn't standing on end since I slept in the recliner, so I just threw on some jeans and rode with her. I am thinking I need a "Calgon" moment, so I might go to the other house and use that wonderful tub.

Just remembered that I haven't eaten or taken my meds.............

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:07 am

My usual thrift is to keep all grocery /cash spending within a budget. includes clothing and fuel/petrol mostly.
This week I need spend as little as possible and live on what I have ... Just buy basics and avoid anything - food purchase - that can be waste.
That said - today was not a day of thrift. I bought s auber vacuum cleaner - traded in the hoover with the broken wheel. The s auber is the current electralux can't spell that - bought with lucylees love of her old model in mind. Also the filter system and power head and that it was easier to push than the cheaper model. Cost was more than I wanted to spend however it has 5 years service included. I need put that on the envelope with carry forward dates - year to next year - that I pin on bathroom calendar. Area manage r was there who discounted a bit more and trhew in some freebees - steam mop and extra bags - delivered vac and showed me it working again.and was to pick up 2 vacs as trade ins but quietly left one to use on banned plaster dust (drywall) that the prince of vacs is not to injest. I think he was amused by my wish to vac (cathedral) ceilings and said he'd post me some extra lengths of extension pipe/handle so I could reach with old vac. He really let me know old one is ok cept filter blocks up so easily. so needs really frequent emptying.
I made the snap decision to let him visit and refuse to be embarassed. Anyway he seemed impressed when I said first thing was to insist dog peed outside on wet grass. That dog would pee on command.- Dog had not gone out in the rain this am so had had legs crossed all day. So I knew there was one in there. At his suggestion I kept vac box for service trips back to store. Now. Its only a good buy if I use it. So thats an aim. To do some floor most days. Clear a stretch totally and give it a good going over. Either mop or vac as suits.
Other bit of needing a good vac as I have black grit/whatever falling as dust in LR and I really need deal with it. Guess thats another reason to see if vacumming ceiling will help.

Also today - took car to ins assessor. That was relatively painless. Though the $500 excess will do further deminishing return to bank savings ballance. Ouch - I need lessen any disgressionary spending to try and boost it back up. Also atm I have probably $600 doc copays this year to reach before I get larger refund though that comes from separate area of pension working acc... After Which will make pdoc visits more reasonable. I guess I'm really glad I've been able to keep money aside for when its needed.

Also today - ph call with dm. She reassured me that a patch job on rusted gutter join may be sufficent rather that replacing them. Amongst all the other stuff of call. I told her I had made emergency temp adjustment to gutter down pipe in her honour - broken bits had it falling down and pouring water at corner of new building repairs. I will need get someone do it properly as I doubt I can get it all fitting together. Also the patch job on gutter. Not sure of my ability on extended ladder - though I surprised myself clearing one bit of gutterout and tacking up a downpipe with duct tape.

I'm up way late.dishes are washed. sink is dried off - even if drainer full was just moved one side to the other.

Hope you all have a great day.

ps - re food shopping - I try only buy freshfood / produce, meat to divide into portion serves, and frozen mixed veg. Just buy what I regularly use up. small cans of fish on special. Much of my food is much more expensive (milk, cheese and bread etc when I buy it) but I'm not buying biscuits(cookies) and cakes and processed / preprepared food and snacks which can eat a lot of money. I did buy take away last night but that serve did two meals. Anyway - thats off the agenda for a bit now.

waving to all.
rain continues today.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 am

Good morning, villagers ~

Didn't mean to disappear for 2 weeks, things have just been discombobulated around here.

An hour after the last time I posted 2 weeks ago, our phone line went out and of course we also lost internet. It was out for 2 days. I didn't hear back from the service dept, didn't see the tech, so just assume there was a short in the line somewhere outside.

Anyway, then we went out of town for the weekend to visit family and had a wonderful time.

You'd think being without internet for only 2 days wouldn't take that long to catch up, but in fact I had to scramble quite a bit. Since then I've been trying to read village posts every day but never had quite enough time to answer anyone.

It's been fun to meet the new posters ~ welcome to our village!
I'm really enjoying Kathryn's travel descriptions.
Concerned about Indiana & Jake.

Will post in AC&N about a craft party I went to last Friday.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:24 pm

K in C I wanted to tell you that my granny was alergic to the motion sickness pills she took visiting us one time when I was a kid.

I'm up it's nice and calm outside here today yea!
30*-46* our temp. range
bs is up today
coffee is done

We try to be thrifty around here yesterday some dead wood fell out of the tree and it will go in to the fire pit. I use the same coffee filter more than once by just putting more grounds in it. Get as much as I can used at thrift shops & yd. sales I shop used first. Getting books at the library to read also. Giving things away as well to the thrift shop also helps to keep clutter at bay.

Yesterday I found a couple of things from the holidays out that needed to be put away did that.

Coffee maker good parts are ready to load in the trunk.
Kitchen needs some attn. today.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Good morning! Last night I went to church, paid bills, and updated Quicken. Today I just got XDH off of my gas bill. Good thing I did too. There was a stop service order still on it from the previous homeowners! Today will be lots of flowcharts again and in the foreseeable future. Not sure what happens after that. The govt in its unending wisdom has decided not to continue the contract that forms about 80% of our work. I would like a nap. I think I want sleep more when I am under stress. During sleep one does not have to think about difficult things.

What I am doing for thrift: bringing in my lunches except Thursdays, when I eat with friends. Of course, I have only done this two days so far. It remains to be seen how long I can keep it up.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Hello everybody! Taking a break to catch my breath and rest my tired brain a bit. And eating breakfast. Finally.

Good luck with your new vac, Lynlee. How high up is the ceiling? Be careful on ladder. You sound busy these days.

Enjoying reading everyone's thrifty ideas. Some things I do: be careful with utilities especially electric. Do not throw any food away. Single servings of anything left over go in freezer to add to soups or a side if needed. What else, hmmm, broke the budget buying some clothes this month. Have 2 dressier things to attend and was feeling frumpy, so I guess its money well spent. Still need shoes.

Spent all morning in the office. Brain intensive work redoing proposals and helping with plans and filling out county paperwork. Sent DH on his way to get as much done as possible, he has a long list.

Insurance audit was cancelled, something about the gal's injured feet and cannot walk. :( Speaking of injuries, DGS12 jammed his middle finger at baseball practice yesterday, xray shows not broken, but really sore, and now with splint till it heals and no games for a while.

OKay

Postby OKay » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Good Morning!

I am taking a "brain break" with my trusty timer set to keep me from zoning out. :)

Having bricks delivered just hours before 3 healthy fellas would be nearby turned into a great reduction of work for me :) With about 15 minutes of team work all the bricks were placed in/near their spot. I will be moving each brick again to get them level and "just right" but the move will be less than a foot rather than carrying them 50' each. Original vegetable garden (raised bed style) was about 30'x20'. I've extended that by 30'x17' in one direction and 8'x15' in another direction. It took me several attempts to lay out the new shape of the garden extension to best work with existing trees (aka shade), out buildings and making sure LO play area stays in sight from all areas of the garden.

Household thrift for me is directly related to staying up-to-date with SHE cards. When I am organized and on my game plan then I tend to make wise choices and not spend $$ unnecessarily. When I am behind and overwhelmed, I tend to just grab at the first opportunity to solve an immediately problem regardless of what it cost.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 pm

I had hoped to run errands today, buy groceries and meet DH and some friends for supper out. I've decided to change plans because the current weather report is nasty.

Winter storm on the way. It will start raining any minute now, then change to snow by the end of the afternoon. I hate driving in that slippery mix.

I'm out of fresh milk for my coffee, but have both dry and canned milk. Running low on coffee but can probably get by until Sunday or Monday. Otherwise, we have enough food in the house to last at least a week.

On topic: For thriftyness as well as convenience, I try to plan meals ahead to be able to keep the pantry and freezer stocked. I've proven to myself that running to the store for "just 1 thing" is never successful, the cart always ends up full anyway. I keep two 3x5 cards next to my wallet, 1 with the menu plan and the other the shopping list.

This winter I've been trying some new soup recipes, and working on figuring out how to turn them into pantry mixes to make them easier to throw together after work. Most have turned out ok, but there have been a couple spectacular failures.

Return to “Post When You Can”