Tuesday TaDAs PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Lilac

Re: Tuesday TaDAs PWYC

Postby Lilac » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you Harmony and Okay!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm

YIKES!!! Just ran into two snafus on my summer cruise. My flight into Gatwick has been cancelled and now goes to Heathrow. I have to find out whether the hotel picks up from Heathrow and if not find transport to Gatwick. This is the second flight they have cancelled on me. The second problem is more serious. One of our travelling companions just found out she has colon cancer. This trip keeps getting more complicated as time goes on. Also, there is job uncertainty for me. I don't know if I will come home to have a job or not.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Back from touring one of the Cape Verde islands. Will post more tomorrow.

Am exhausted and dh has a headache. We had to tender (we were expecting to berth but the pier is unfinished) and it was the roughest tendering we've ever done. They put us ashore and with a couple of hours suspended the tenders until the tour got back.

Winds were 80 kph this morning, then calm so we ate breakfast outside, then they got bad again.

I made it to trivia on time and our team won!

Don't know what we are doing for dinner. We might eat in and watch Casablanca.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm

I just completed an experiment that altho uncomfortable makes me look good.

I have 2 pair of identical jeans. One is size X and they other X+2 (In other words one is two sizes bigger than the other). The X+2 ones fit and are comfortable. The size X one is hard to button, zip and breathe. I wanted to see which one looked the best. So I had DH take 3 pictures of each with me standing in the same place. What a difference! The size X+2 ones make me look like a fat mushroom. I'm still heavy in the smaller size but with a lot more shape. So I guess I will wear the smaller ones when I go out and the bigger ones when I'm doing work around the house.

I have made an appointment for DH to have his follow-up appointment with our Dr. today at 3. DH is out of pain pills so I'm hoping to get a few more from the Dr. We will try to get along with OTC meds - but I want some prescription ones on hand just in case.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

Twins Mom, friends of mine who had a similar diagnosis, with dr sure it had nothing to do with the heart, were advised that they could do push ups to help ease the pain. The theory was the pain would ease up with chest muscle exertion, and it would also be a relief to prove to themselves that the heart was fine. At any rate, I don't think this is particularly rare. Hope she feels better.

Elizabeth, I'm so sorry your summer vacation planning is getting more difficult.

Emptynester, Amazon sells plenty of different waistband-extending buttons or loops or hooks. I have to admit I have usually used something homemade when the situation's come up for me :oops: rather than buying the right thing like sensible people. I had a skirt I wore under a top to church for years that had the permanent accessory of a ducky diaper pin to provide an extra inch, but I was the only one who knew it! So do as I say, not as I do :lol: but a discreet waistband extender might keep you from being so uncomfortable or experiencing acid reflux. (no diaper pins, that was stupid. Don't anybody tell that. :lol: )

Well, the mother who absolutely refused to do the girl's laundry for her has her jeans in the wash as we speak. Sigh. I was faced with either tough love or giving in to my desire that my child not look like an urchin, and I folded. She is losing the time-budgeting battle.

OKay

Postby OKay » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:20 pm

I have a friend that has had multiple back surgeries and is suppose to wear a back brace. She discovered when she wears tight jeans that it hold her back in place and she said it is more comfortable than the brace.

8D’s Status -
  • Dishes - Lunch dishes washed & put away. Kitchen in MM
  • Duds - Just need to hang up and put away
  • Dinner - Ready to cook - will be able to put meal on the table with about 15 minutes of effort
  • Desk - paperwork caught up.
  • Declutter - not yet....will do later today
  • Delightful - spent an hour in the garden....one of my most peaceful places to be.
  • Dearest - xDSIL, DGS14, DGS15, DMom/DDad, DMIL
  • Develop - spent some time studying character quality (Honor vs disrespect)

I have been preparing for tomorrow and just have a few more things to do. We already had a doctor and dentist appt scheduled for in the morning so will go to those 2 before attending DAunt funeral. We will need to leave the house 5 hours before the funeral. After the funeral, the family will travel 40 miles to the gravesite services which will then be followed by family dinner 10 miles the other way. Since DH family has a family church all the members of the church are attending the funeral....which means the family is also preparing the funeral meal. I changed my mind several times what food I would prepare to make it work with our schedule. Anything hot would be cold by the time it was served. So I decided to go with cold things - I'm taking large platter of roll-ups (chicken salad/tortillas), another large platter of ham/cheese sandwiches, a large bowl of trail mix (for the diabetic dessert), and a large bowl of green mix salad.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm

Dh went to the dr. and his shoulder pain is caused by SHINGLES! Just before he left I happened to walk in the bedroom as he was putting on an undershirt and noticed this cluster of red sores on his lower back above the waist. I asked him about them and he asked if they felt rough. I wouldn't touch them but looked closely at them and they didn't look rough. The dr. thought he had a pinched nerve until he mentioned these red places. When she looked at them she realized it was shingles and that is causing the pain. Dd1 who is a nurse told me to call my dr. and see if he wanted me on any preventive meds because of the diabetes. I am waiting for a call back. I am sure that him having 3 go arounds with a virus in less than 2 months and it affecting his immune system, helped bring this on.

Wow, the nurse called within minutes. They don't want me on any preventive meds but want me to watch closely for any signs. She also said they want me to come in for the shingles vaccine in the morning. She said it won't keep me from getting shingles, it will just keep me from having the severe nerve pain that shingles cause. She diabetics usually have really severe nerve pain. That explains why Dee had so much pain with her shingles a few years ago.

Dove

Postby Dove » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Hello friends. It has been a good day. I started the morning off feeling very productive. Took ddog out, fed her & dcat, gathered up all the towels & threw them into the washing machine. Walked on treadmill while checking in here, caught up on email & news, then put towels in the dryer before heading upstairs.

Yesterday dh & I ran a bunch of errands including T arget, where I bought a (shoe sized) 15 cubby unit, a large over-the-door shoe caddy & 2 of those small canvas baskets that fit inside large cubbies. After breakfast we assembled the unit & placed it on top of a cabinet in the office. It is hidden behind the door, & I am using it to corral office supplies. Over the years I've aquired lots of misc supplies but they had been all over the house, in both our desks & in misc boxes. I spent some time gathering everything up & organizing it all in the cubbies. Now that everything is in one place, hopefully I won't buy any more until I use up what we already have. (Except maybe for 3x5 supplies ;) . Dh needed something in S taples yesterday & I always peruse the cardfile supplies when I'm in there :P ).

OKay, I loved your story about LO & the quesadillas! :D

Hi Lucylee -- hope the car repair is quick & inexpensive.

That's a long workday, Twins. Hope all is well with dd.

Hope you got a big burst of energy (or a nap!) today, Bittersweet.

Hi Lilac! Sorry I'm no help with the avatar info. Indi did mine for me years ago when I first joined. She even found the picture, or I would still be avatar-less :) . I'm so sorry your dh has shingles! Thank goodness you noticed the rash or the doctor might have missed it. Hope it clears up quickly & doesn't affect you.

Harmony said: "My TaDa for today is that I got up and did my impression of a morning person." Heehee! :lol:

Congrats on all the decluttering progress, Nancy!

So sorry about your friends diagnosis, Elizabeth, & I hope the flights with your upcoming trip all work out.

I've been enjoying your trip posts, Kathryn. Racking up more points in Trivia, too, I see :) . Way to go!

That was a clever experiment, MT.

Harriet, I won't tell about the diaper pin if you won't tell about the large paper clip I use :oops: :-)! I have a pair of dress pants that has a six inch strap at the waist that closes with a snap near the hip instead of above the zipper. It stays in place when I'm standing, but the snap often pops off when I sit & then some of it dangles below whatever top I'm wearing. I like the pants so I use the paper clip :) ; I just can't wear anything tucked in when I wear them.

Hope you are doing well, Indi. Miss you.

Thanks for posting that 1940's homemaker site, Bookie! I took a look & saved it to have something else to read while on the treadmill.

Ddog & dcat are looking for dinner. It's pizza for dh & I tonight. Easy peasy. (I picked this expression up here from someone & use it all the time now :mrgreen: ).

Have a good evening, everyone!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Have a good night everyone. I am off to Girls' Night Out!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Have a good night out, Elizabeth!

Going to watch Idol with dh in a few. We stayed up way too late last night watching the race from Daytona. I actually fell asleep and woke back up for the ending. It was pouring here most of the evening. I had been sick most of the day yesterday and slept until after 10AM today!! Never do that. Dh and I went to lunch on way to pick up gd and went to the Christian book store. Got myself a ceramic mug with "Noel" on it, but it's just the kind I want! :D

Maybe I'll try to cuop while we're watching TV. Have to let it charge first.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Post When You Can”