Optimistic Leap Year Day February 2012

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Optimistic Leap Year Day February 2012

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm at least glad to see that Jake is staying, Indiana, but poor Jake nonetheless!

I'm still on the mend and found today a bit better. Just waiting for DSIL to come home with pizza for dinner. DD and I will then be taking GD to Wed. night youth 'church'. We really have to plan something for a couple of weeks from now. GD has an overnight in Orlando with the church group -be a good respite for all of us.

An extra day -don't think I did anything special with it. DD and I have been browsing through a catalog looking at things to order soon.

Sent a prescription by snail mail to Med Co on Sunday -will see if this goes any better. Finally got the last 2 meds that were refills -yesterday. Dr. sent me physical prescriptions so I can mail them as I need them. Hopefully there won't be a problem with these.

DD brought home the cutest onesie for new DGS -with "Hero" and a fire truck on it. DS will love that!

DSIL should be here any minute and I AM HUNGRY. Trying very hard to curb my eating/snacking. DH can't wait to get back to work -says he's gained 15 pounds this winter. I'm about 5-6 less than I came down at but should be a whole lot better than that! :?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm back from my walk the rest of it one mile this time & it hailed a bit the last couple of blocks but at least the wind was not as bad as earlier this morning when I went.

Have washer twins going now and I've unloaded the dishwasher and washed up the crock part of the crock pot from the chili at lunch :idea: I was right this was a great day for it! :mrgreen:

Learned the pioneers took hot rocks with them in the wagon to keep feet warm learned some thing new. {I suppose potatoes could do it but not as long.}

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Another long day for me. Today at lunch we had a "Tax dept fun lunch" and played a dice game with quarters. Was lots of fun and a nice break for drudgery.

Email from congregant today has me unhappy. This is someone I considered a friend who is acting like a not very nice person. One certainly does learn a lot about people as president. I'm afraid at this point that if I call this person I'll say something not very nice that I can't take back.

I made my goal for the month for hours worked.

Tornado watch here until 1 a.m. Dh is out - I am going to read awhile.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Here's my travelog. I got it written, my nails done, won at trivia again (yay!) and finished my assignment. It is past midnight and I'm exhausted but we had a good formal night after the rocky start of arriving at our table with the chief engineer 30 minutes late (our invitation said 8:15 the others said 7:45 - I'm annoyed and will not attend the next formal dinner with crew unless it is with the captain or a very senior officer.)

The next ports in our trip were in the Cape Verde Islands. Go look them up (hint, off the coast of Africa in the Atlantic - don't mix them up with our next ports in the Canary Islands.)

We stopped at two of the islands, Sao Tiego and Santo Anteo, one in the south and one in the north of the group of islands. The Cape Verdes belonged to Portugal until their independence so are not part of the European Union but have a special relationship with it, and have pegged their currency to the Euro.

Our first stop was in Praia, the capital. We chose not to go on tour here but to just walk around on our own. We covered just under 7 km while ashore, taking the shuttle bus onto the Plateau (an older area of town with the market) and then walking down to along the the beaches and out to the lighthouse on a point at the entrance to the harbour.

I found Praia to be an interesting mixture of Africa and what I imagine Portugal to be like (I've never been, just seen pictures and I've been to the Azores.)

Outside the port was a long line of stalls set up with people selling wares. Here poverty was evident. Once we were up on the Plateau and for the rest of time walking around Praia, the poverty wasn't as noticeable. The market on the Plateau was stunning for its colours, amazing selection and quantity of fruits and vegetable and cleanliness. It was crowded and bustling, but felt prosperous, not desperate (as the market in Banjul had felt.) We were left on our own, not hassled at all.

After walking around a little on the Plateau, we walked down a staircase to the valley between plateaus and began our more strenuous walk out to the lighthouse.

Along the beach we came to a workout park. The equipment was in good shape and simple design. For instance, on one piece you sit on the chair and pull down on the bars above, pulling your weight up (but it is leveraged in some way so wasn't hard to do.) The park was sponsored by Coke, which I found amusing!

The city has about 115,000 people but everyone seemed to be in cars. This was first place we've been since South Africa with a bus system. So very auto oriented. Praia is the capital of Cape Verde so we walked past numerous embassies.

Turns out the lighthouse isn't a ruin but is actually functioning and was manned (at least we think he was the keeper - he could have been a workman of some sort.) Because we weren't thinking it was used, we walked through the door in the high wall into the inner courtyard. The keeper came out and asked if we spoke Portuguese? Us: No, English? Him: No, Espanol? Us: No, Francais? Him: No. Oh well, we made do. He asked if we were from the ship (across the harbour from the light) and we indicated yes, and that we had walked. He indicated we were strong for doing that. He commented on the wind and we asked if it was always like that and he said no, just 3 months of the year. Although now we suspect maybe he was saying three months it isn't windy. Anyway, it was a short but pleasant exchange.

We walked from there back to town. It was too early for lunch so none of the restaurants we walked past were open.

We walked on a slightly different route which eliminated one hill and then up the stairs back onto the Plateau. We walked around a bit more, seeing a nursery school, checking out a grocery store and coming across a woman selling fish door to door carrying one basket of live fish, in water, on her head and another in her arms.

We went back to the ship after this and had a quiet afternoon on board.

The lecturer had gone hiking in the hills and I wanted to go but the length he had in mind (15 km) and the imprecision of his plans and instructions made me too nervous. He had a delightful day with the wife of another lecturer. They took a taxi to a small village, found the path and hiked along it. Unfortunately, they kept coming to cross-roads and didn't know what to do. There were people walking the paths who would give them long sets of instructions in Creole or Portuguese but that didn't help. Finally some school children came along and walked with them, leading them out into a village. There they stood waiting. Roddy didn't know what was expected but finally the school bus came along! They got on the bus with the children and ended up at the school where the best student was brought out to display his English skills and explained the local bus system to them. They took a bus back to town and the shuttle back to the ship and were back by 2. I would have been freaking out so I'm glad I didn't go with them, on the other hand, I envy them their adventure!

We set sail a bit late (I can't recall what the delay was, but remember a delay) and arrived the following morning in Porto Novo on San Anteo, one of the northern islands. When we woke up in the morning, I turned on the tv and was shocked to see 70 - 80 kph winds. Then we anchored, instead of berthing because the pier expansion project was not finished on time and the port agent had failed to inform Silver Sea of this fact! I can just imagine the words on the bridge when they arrived in the morning to find no pier!

We were in the shelter of the island for a few minutes and the winds went calm so we enjoyed our breakfast outside. But the winds were picking up and by the time we were to tender into the port, it was pretty rough.

There were about 70 of us on the tour, spread over 4 small tour buses. We lucked out with a guide who spoke very good English. He had a degree in English from the Cape Verde University and had spent a year in Austria learning hospitality management. He worked as a teacher and is hoping to do a masters degree in England at some point. The person organizing the tour was not so gifted and the tour had many comical moments because it was so poorly run.

This island is volcanic and is arid on one side and lush on the other. They don't get storms, they just “make them there and send them across the Atlantic” (!) but it was very windy.

This may be the only time I rave about a road but we took the most amazing road, all hand made, over the mountain range that runs along the centre of the island. I might not have taken the tour had I fully understood what the road would be like (remember my fear of heights) but if I had to be staring at a road while desperately trying to ignore the steep drop off on the other side of the bus, there is probably no more beautiful a road to be staring at.

The views were stunning (I'm not too bad with heights if I'm standing on the ground, just not keen on them when I have something between me and the ground.)

After a 2 hour drive we finally got close to sea level on the other side of the mountain. At this point we drove up a dry river valley to see a small village church. The guests in another bus revolted and demanded a pit-stop so we ended up using the washrooms at the local high school. Our guide was busy hugging and kissing many of the teachers who were friends of his from university so I suspect he had something to do with that detour. It was a wonderful detour.

This beautiful school was a gift from the country of Luxembourg. Most of the touches of modernity we saw were gifts from Europe, the majority were from Luxembourg, the reason given was that a large number of Cape Verdeans had emigrated to Luxembourg and were such good workers helping to build that country that Luxembourg wanted to repay the favour by helping out Cape Verde. Cape Verde is one of the poorest nations in Africa. It didn't seem poor like The Gambia because we never saw terrible poverty, but it was as if it was stuck in a time warp. Up in the mountains people lived in houses built from the rocks or more modern ones were of cinder block but they were small (100 - 200 square feet) and there is no running water so people walk miles to get water from reservoirs and carry it back on mules. The unemployment rate on the island is about 40% and we saw a lot of men just sitting about. Most of the labour we saw was by hand, cutting sugar cane and carrying out of the field in large bundles on one's head.

Our guide was very appreciative of the funding received to build a decent road (asphalt, not cobblestone as all other roads were) and modern buildings. The school was built in 2006 and was still in pristine condition after 6 years so it seems the gifts are well cared for.

After the stop to tour the church, we headed to Ponta do Sol for lunch. We had a half hour to walk around this little town after a lovely buffet lunch. I tried Guarana Antartica, a Brazilian soft drink which was very good. Ponta do Sol used to have the airport for the island but there was a crash that killed 18 people in the late 90's and the airport was deemed too dangerous after that. So now the only link with the other islands is by sea, with daily ferry service leaving from Porto Novo on the other side of the island.

The men of the village seemed to all be at the waterfront. The fishermen were on the
beach below, cleaning their catch and the men in the shelter were just hanging around, playing a card game.

The streets were basically deserted. I'm assuming the women were working inside the houses.
We saw a few on the the street with children.

After lunch we drove back along the shore for a bit, turning to drive up a river valley to see some of the traditional agriculture.

Turning our buses around was a big trick. The tour had been badly run and our guide knew of a place up the valley where there was enough room to turn around, but to' save time', the first bus started the turnaround about 5 minutes too early. He made a 24 point turn with our guide just sitting on the wall at the edge of the road, shaking his head. He convinced the next bus in the line to go further on and even he did the turnaround too early, but made it in 6 points, as did the rest of the buses. In the meantime, the first bus had to wait for all of us so no time was saved.

Finally, we hit a piece of highway financed by the European Union and Italy. It included the first tunnel in Cape Verde.

For about 15 km, we had a quieter ride. Cobblestones are noisy. Even with the 'better' road, the speed limit was still 50 kph and it took 2 hours for us to return to Porto Novo after lunch even without going over the mountain range. Back on the arid side of the range, the scenery turned bleak again. Then a glimpse of our ship. Home!

Well, not quite. It was 4 p.m., the original end time of the tour but I knew we still had to have refreshments at a hotel. So we were taken to a lovely resort and offered food. A rather cranky group barely touched what was offered as we were anxious to get back. The last tender was at 4:30 and while we knew they wouldn't leave without us, I had been concerned because it was now awfully rough and I only saw one tender at the dock waiting for us (we had come over in two.)

Eventually, we were loaded back onto the buses and taken back to the pier. We were all loaded onto the tender for what we knew would be a rough crossing back to the ship and then waited for all the crew and pier-side paraphernalia (podium, stanchions and ropes) to be loaded onto the tender. It was rough. Not unbearable but we had tucked ourselves in the very back corner, well away from the open sides. Sure enough, a number of passengers were completely soaked when we came alongside the ship and the waves came up between the tender and the platform.

Home at last, I high-tailed it to trivia (our team won!) and heard what I had suspected. As the wind came up again, the tender service was suspended and by noon the captain had pulled up anchor as well.

We were very tired from the day so we had our pre-dinner snack and then ordered in a light dinner and watched the movie Casablanca in preparation for our next leg of the journey.

So that's our adventures on Cape Verde. I'm very glad I didn't understand how to decode the tour description because if I had known about the steep roads I may have chickened out. Tonight at dinner someone explained that I should avoid all tours with vistas and panoramic views! Duly noted.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Indiana, I know you've managed to improve the situation the best you can. I hope Jake gets used to the new demands easily.

Emptynester, I hope the meds are needed for a very short time and Mr. Emptynester is feeling better fast.

dd32 called and they will be coming this weekend, so there are several preps for that which will need to become priorities. HRH has an important meeting all Friday morning, so I'll need to get as much done at the other house as I can in the next two afternoons or tomorrow morning when he has a chance to be here for me. Dsonil can't get off early, so they won't be able to be particularly early arriving. Hopefully, HRH can manage the shopping to stock the fridge, etc., over there.

Today is my middle girl-cousin's birthday - she only has one once every 4 years. I was able to call her and get her on the phone right away and we had a nice chat. I'm so glad I did that.

Oh, there is Kathryn posting about adventures, so I'll read those.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:15 pm

I love reading Kathryn's adventures too.
It seems hot at 34C here. Sun is shining. I feel I ort have washing on the line to make use of it. The uptimate solar system.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kally

Postby Kally » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:21 am

Realized I haven't posted for two days! The internet has been spotty, not sure if it is my computer or the world wide web in general.

I took today as an "extra" day & spent some time planning and tweaking what I want to get accomplished in the next four months. I'm a list maker and a planner, just not very good at following through with the plan. Trying to change that. Then I ended up double-booking myself for tomorrow. :roll: That means getting "up & at 'em" earlier than I normally do. Have to run an errand for DMother and then take my car to the shop for an oil change & other hopefully minor repairs. Should have the car at the mechanic shop around 8:00 a.m., but that won't happen. Shooting for 9 am now.

When I read your posts, I respond in my head but can't think of any now. I'll try again tomorrow.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:10 am

Hi...I wanted to check in before going to bed. I see it's been quiet here in the Village today. Dh and I had a quiet day also. I puttered around the house with little things and dh cut the grass in the back yard. I gathered up enough wash for a couple of lol for tomorrow morning.

Indiana, I'm glad that you were able to work things out for you and Jake.
Harriet, I'm wondering if your dcousin celebrates her birthday on March 1st the other three years?? That was nice of your dd13 to think of taking the apple for her teacher. None of my teachers ever lost their tempers in the classroom, but my algebra teacher, who was under five ft. tall, once stood on a chair to be face to face with a classmate who was close to six ft. tall so she could scold him and shake her finger in his face for his unacceptable classroom behavior! :shock: :lol:
Dee, hope things go well with med co this time!

The weather....I've been watching the weather reports off and on all day. We had a nice day here, but I feel for those along the eastern states with all the storms; and the snow in the northern states, too. Hope everyone is safe!

Harmony/Harriet, question about the yo yo flowers. I made only six and used the material that is on the backside of the quilt as it has every color of the front in it. They have a little glitzy button in the centers and are sewed onto the top and bottom rows of blocks around the center panel. I will try to get a picture taken and put in our other thread here soon.

Waving to everyone.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Return to “Post When You Can”