TROPICAL TUESDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
FelineFriend

Re: TROPICAL TUESDAY

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:58 pm

It's another sunny day here, but tomorrow some showers come and Thursday will have lingering showers, which are to stop. DH will try to burn trash, since there is a limit to the size of the outdoor fire, it needs to be small, so he'll slowly baby-step it keeping a hose nearby and keep an eye on it. :idea:

I turned off my dawn simulator, got up just after 8:30 a.m., so tired. Took my generic Zantac, waited until time to eat, d2s, since I showered late last night, and will s2s again this evening. I have a red border to finish on DGS-5.5's Christmas afghan. I'd love to get it 4" - 5" around, but it seems to be a never-ending square round around and around and barely increases in size! :lol: I get frustrated, then my fingers/hands get tingling from so much work on it, and I put it down to rest it. :roll: I'll try to get it done today though. :)

I had to change my Anti-Procrastination Day to Thursday because having it on Wednesday along with Desk Day was too much in 1 day. :o Just too much at once. :idea: Will "see" how this works out.

I can't find a TV Hallmark Series on our Cable TV Hallmark channels. It's called "When Calls the Heart," created by Michael Landon Jr., based on Janette Oke's books. She's a pioneer writer, and from what I've "heard", she writes clean romances in pioneer times. Sometimes you can find a free Janette Oke e-book at sites on-line, too. :idea:

I'VE HAD SO MUCH FUN THIS MORNING!!!!! :P We have the most adorable tiny birds! :!: There are some grey & tan ones. Then, there are these cutie-patootie ones! :) They've got black heads and backs and wings with white around their face & neck, along the wings. They fly like it's almost the speed of sound, just KIDDING, :lol: but they fly from the trees to the bird feeder to the bushes to the mogahetti with a planting of sedums and succulents and back and forth really fast. I laughed and laughed watching them. Oh, if only I could bottle up THEIR ENERGY and sip some of it! I'd get all my housework done lickity split within 20 minutes- TOPS! :!: :lol: They were a morning delight. I used to think how "OLD" Dmil sounded when she talked about the birds at the bird feeders! :!: :o Like, why doesn't this woman have a "life" outside her health problems and just family? :?: But NOW, as an oldster, I realize the happiness, entertainment and fun bird-watching can give us all. They're cute, their songs are pretty, and sometimes, when they drink water at the birdbath, they bob down, sip, bob up, rest, and up and down they go over and over again. :lol: Head-bobbing water drinkers is what they are. ;) Our cat's not as fond of them as I am, because she's an indoor-only cat because of several coyotes in our woods and sometimes a cougar, too. :shock: We want her safe. :)

My round has been.....

- made the bed
- hung up clothes in the bedroom
- put dirty clothes in the utility room basket
- fixed coffee, ran a scan, entered my contest again (contest is over Oct. 5). Will be glad to not enter daily!
- contacted nurse about a question.
- wrote a bit in one journal, started QT, but got sidetracked.

Plan to.....

- journal and finish QT
- sort mail, answer mail
- read
- edge the Christmas afghan
- do LOL?
- MT DW
- walk, do stretches, yoga/PIlates moves

LadyM, I'm so glad LO is much better. I'm glad his cough has improved and he might be hoarse from those tubes they use sometimes, when you're under. I noticed, after 2 major surgeries, how I was hoarse. I hope his stomach muscles get better soon. Yes, he might have exercises them a lot from fighting after waking from surgery. I'm glad he's eating and making good choices. Oh, that is a problem, about the ointment at school. I don't know how you'd handle that either. Glad everything else is going A-OKay. :D

Waving to Dee, :D Lucylee, :D Twins' Mom, :D Kathryn, :D Nancy, and MT. :D Have a super afternoon! :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Good afternoon folks! I did get some stuff done on the Anna dress last night, the skirt motifs are drawn up and ready to be transferred to the strips of fabric. Then, much fabric painting will have to be done. I woke up to the most INFURIATING call from my mom. First, she was poking her nose into my job search and financial business. That I can handle. She's my mom, she worries. I reassure her that I am ok and that if I am ever not ok, I will let her know. As a change of subject, I told her about DD12 being a part of a style show at the state fair, wearing the jacket I crocheted. Now, DD is a spotlight avoider, and my goal for this venture is to gain confidence for her. After all, there are no lines to forget and no music to botch. All she has to do is walk onto a stage wearing a jacket. She is doing it as a favor to me, not as something she is excited about for its own sake. Here is part of the conversation:

Mom: She will have to wear make up.
Me: I'm not sure if she'll do that. She doesn't like the idea.
Mom: Then you tell her she will be absolutely nothing out there.

Those were her words "absolutely nothing". Um, yeah, that's really going to make her want to be on stage. And such a confidence builder, too. Mom blames me for DD's non-interest in make up. I have told her she is not required to wear it, but if she wants to, it is ok with me. I have also told her there is nothing wrong with it, I just don't care for it myself. In contrast, I was told as a girl that without make up you won't look good, won't be happy, and no one will like you. I told Mom I didn't want the sort of friends that would not like me if I didn't wear make up. She didn't appreciate that. A conversation I remember from a long time ago:

Mom: You have to wear make up to feel good about yourself.
Me: Make up doesn't make me feel good about myself. It makes me feel fake.
Mom: You wear make up so other people will know you feel good about yourself.
Me: Why would they care?

Nope, never got it. I am 50 and still don't get it. She never got it either. Perhaps I would have liked it had it been a privilege rather than an obligation. Not gonna pass that attitude down to another generation! I worked off my frustrations doing yard work, then called her back and explained that, while I would offer DD the option of make up for the stage, if she didn't want it, I wasn't going to push it. I also told her that I expected everyone to be proud of her just for being brave.

I have set up a phone interview for tomorrow morning and about to do more job search activities. A friend called about a job fair on base tomorrow, but there is also a recruiting event closer to home! I am not sure which to go for, but will definitely be attending one or the other. My car is still at the spa and the borrowed one has no AC, so I don't really want to drive it to meet potential employers! I'm having trouble getting my mind in gear, because I keep thinking of things I should have said to my mother or things I could have said differently. It did help to 'talk' about it to my village friends though. Thanks for 'listening'.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Finally cuop the past half week. I just haven't felt like being on the computer.

Things I thought about while I read through: I have a file box/bin with file folders labeled in groups - appliances, office equipment, furniture, small kitchen equipment, garden, etc. I keep all guarantees, manuals in there plus receipts with copies of the receipts. The receipts fade over time and become useless! It helps when the resident mr. fix-it goes to repair something around here. We have a bin also for his tools and equipment too.

I keep a spare key in our shop and noone would ever find it in the mess back there. But it helps when I get locked out of the house. I can always get into the garages with the opener key pad and use the key to get into the locked door into laundry room. I join the club!

Happy Birthday - belated wishes to HRH. Move it Move it...wonder what DH would do if I used that on him...better not try.

Sorry about LO's recovery. I once came to crying and crying and crying and nurse said that was from the anesthesia. I'm sure that was different. Glad he's doing better.

Also, well wishes fr MT's recovery (stitches or staples to remove?) and Sadie's DSon with bad ear.

Kathryn's story of tower dismantling gave me chills. We had 50' tower at other house and I've seen people on that thing come down covered in sweat from the effort. Told DH when we moved here I wanted cable. No discussions. I didn't care about the cable, I just didn't want him or anybody up on the tower. He gave the tower away. Plus one less thing to worry about with impending storms.

Routine dr. apt yest. went well. Surprising that she told me lab test done was done incorrectly, was a drug level test and they tested for the wrong drug, spelling the name wrong. Just very badly handled. Also, our new medical laws have everything computerized and she was able to look at pharmacy computer record and find every drug I'd been prescribed for last couple years - and found one I should never take - so I've made a note on my drug card to remember that.

It's tropical here. Still high 90's. And Muggy. We're complaining how uncomfortable it's feeling.

I clipped, restrung vine on the entry arbor. It was overgrown with very little space left to get underneath. It's better but there's still more work. House isn't in bad shape, but I need to see to dinner soon.

(Elizabeth) I agree with you. DD has a few years to get enamored about makeup anyway. Maybe she'd agree with a little lip gloss?

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:09 pm

I tried to file for the last weeks unemployment benefits. The option was not available on my page. This may mean that my benefits have run out. That completely sucks.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:29 pm

I am sooooo tired. Company left a little after 12 today. It was a very nice visit. It's been about 30 years since we saw dxsisil and probably 20+ since we saw dniece. She came to visit a couple of times with her first husband back then. DS-A was a teenager then. We went to dinner last night. Then went to the fire department to drop off dh. DS came out to see them and we then went to see ddil#2 & dgs2. Dniece and I sat up and talked till we couldn't stay awake. This morning we met DS-A for breakfast. Came back to our RV and they left for Ithaca (dsisil graduated from Ithaca) to see a life long friend of hers. From there they're going back to Chataguay, NY and then going to Kingston, ON for a St. Lawrence cruise to Montreal & back to Kingston. Flying to Chicago from there where another dniece will pick them up for a visit in Indiana. After that back to Sacramento. Dniece says this is dsisil's ''bucket" list. :)

I kept falling asleep in the chair this afternoon. Was going to go do laundry, but I just couldn't maneuver any further.

Neighbors across the street left for FL this afternoon. Slowly they're diminishing around here.

Think DS-R is coming to move dd's motorhome this afternoon. She comes in tomorrow night late, late. Think around 11:30.

We're having leftovers from dinner last night tonight. At least I don't have to cook. RV is looking quite nice.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Dee, Had your DH decided if he's going to retire for certain? If he does, can you settle down anywhere you want? If you do settle down, would it be in Florida? Or would you use a motor home, TV or trailer and travel with the seasons. North in Summer and South in winter? :?:

(((Elizabeth))), So sorry about your Dmom's comments AND the employment benefits! Hope a job comes to you SOON! Hang in there, make it a job to get a job, like it's your career-finding job, and keep smiling. I KNOW you CAN do it! :D You're so accomplished at so many things! :!: :P

Harmony, It's nice to "see" you! :D I missed you! :!:

Waving to Kathryn, Twins' Mom, Nancy, and Harriet and those who come after me. :D

This is a quick C. I. because I'm concentrating on the afghan edging this afternoon. At 2 p.m. - 3 p.m., DH and I watch "IT", which stands for "Intentional Talk," and it's a talk show baseball news show. Things are getting excited for us because the Mariners may be the wild card. :mrgreen:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Hello, villagers ~
I just spent a couple of hours at the library decluttering storage shelves and rearranging supplies for tomorrow's LEGO Club. I need to make a few labels tonight. I checked out a key so if I'm up and around in the morning, I can go set up tables early. Club doesn't start until 3:30 but the library doesn't open until 1 and the children's librarian has some things she wants me to move from upstairs to the basement that I won't have access to until the library is open.

Now I have to hope for a bunch of kids to come! I don't know how many of our crowd are on sports teams that practice right after school.

LadyMaverick ~ I'm so glad to hear that LO is feeling better. About the ointment -- do you know anyone who has contact lenses that would let you have an old case, or can you get to a dollar store to buy a cheap one of the flat style? It's an old camping trick, put a little sunscreen or lotion in each eye of a contact lens case and close the lids. Small enough to put in a pocket and, as long as you don't overfill, the lids seal well enough to not make a mess. And it's reusable as long as it is cleaned between uses.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:59 pm

I am able to keep cuop but can't seem to post.

From last week, dgs10 was very lucky. The gym teacher had gathered the pile of sweatshirts and dgs10 was able to reclaim his, by telling the color, size and brand. Dgd4 was diagnosed with a sinus infection, instead of a virus.

Last week the girls were sick, so I did not take dgd3 to dance lessons. Today was dance lessons and dgd3 was a mess. She kept laying down, then when the teacher would insist she stand up, she kept acting like she didn't understand what to do next. I always have her go to the bathroom before we leave my house. Today just as lessons started, I had that little whisper telling me to check my bs. I was on my way to a crash, if I did nothing to prevent it. I came home and fixed a cappacino, I can always count on that to quickly raise my bs. When I returned to the dance studio, I did not see dgd3. One of the mother's told me that another mother had taken her to the bathroom, since I wasn't there. As I headed to the bathroom they were just coming out of there. I explained to the mother why I was gone and thanked her for helping dgd3. Before it was over, all 5 girls had to go to the bathroom. I dropped dgd3 at daycare after lessons and came home. Dd2 called to see how it had went. I told her that she had really misbehaved. She commented that she would be having "the talk" with her. When dgd18 was 4, she took gymnastic lessons. After the first year, they moved away but dd2 found a studio. The first day dgd4 wouldn't listen to the teacher or dd2. Dd2 told her she had one more chance and if there was a repeat, she was done. Dgd did not believe her, so she acted up. She found out how serious dd2 was, when she took her home before the class was over. That was the end of that. Last year when I was taking dg4 to lessons, she acted naughty at lessons. When I told dd2, she gave her the talk and told her if she did it again, she was done. She also told her to ask her big sister, if she didn't believe that she would do it. Dgd4 never acted up again. Dd2 told me that if dgd3 acts up again, she is taking her out. She said she doesn't want to pay money for me to be embarrassed by her antics, not counting the disruption to the class.

This stupid cough that I have had for 2 weeks has decided to become a head cold, also. Fun, fun.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Dee, I am glad that the visit went so well.

We are leaving next Wednesday and will be gone 6 days. I hope I am feeling better. Since I was diagnosed with diabetes, any time I have a cold, it really kicks my fanny. It doesn't help that our weather is going from cool to hot and back and forth.

We still need to get the water softener installed. I told dh that I wanted him home while it is being installed, since the water will be shut off. That way he is available if there is a problem. I can really tell the difference between soft water and hard water.

I am glad that I have mini meatloaves leftover from last night. I can fix different sides to go with them and have a new meal.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:12 pm

I have apped picked up the bed room, I have a plan for dinner. Next I am thinking if I can do a couple rounds of 2-3 & under 5 min. Tasks it will help, I am having a bit of trouble getting going. It is smokey outside so inside stuff is the current needed focus.

Return to “Post When You Can”