Fabulous Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Fabulous Friday

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:16 am

Are you shopping today, recovering from yesterday's holiday, or is this just a "business as usual" Friday?

Whatever you're doing, make it fabulous today!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Fabulous Friday

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:25 am

This feels like a very weird day - after the Thanksgiving holiday, should this be Friday or Monday or Saturday? And this week, Wednesday felt like a Friday.

The dcleaning lady is coming this morning so I need to do my straighten up for her. Dh will be home mid day he said, so I don't know what the rest of the day holds. I need to do some planning for the holidays, some thinking and emailing on several temple issues, and get my thoughts and to-dos down on paper moving forward. This has been a short week and family stuff (dmom and dsis house) have taken a chunk out of it. Oops, need to get to dmom's today with meals also.

For now, I'm going to get started with straightening up and breakfast...
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:48 am

Good morning, villagers ~
Thanks for opening the thread, Twins'Mom.

We had a wonderful afternoon with my family at DSis's. DSis insisted that we fill a couple to-go containers with leftovers, so lunch today will be easy to fix.

I got up before 5 this morning but I decided not to go shopping after all. The friend I normally meet for coffee is out of town this weekend. There are only 2 places in The Big City I like to go on Black Friday, and I decided this year their deals are not worth driving so far to stand in the cold outside and navigate the crowds.

Harriet mentioned something yesterday about having done some decluttering but not enough. Ditto! I want to spend a block of time today trying to get rid of stuff.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:06 am

Yes, several times yesterday I was thinking of tomorrow as a Monday.

Desk Day today.

Big room-clearing push for dd16, as she considers rearranging her room furniture.

Continuing to work on cards, so that the next projects can come to the forefront.

Yes, Ditto as aforementioned by BookSaver, some decluttering.

Our pianist used the line, "I have spoken my piece and counted to three." from that movie just this past Sunday morning, Sunny and FFriend. All at rehearsal understood and laughed. That movie will someday be considered one of the greats, IMO. It takes so many viewings to trace all the layers well.

Sunny, I can just imagine his posture as he admired the drip and ended up with a soggy bottom. Also can imagine your surprise.

helia

Postby helia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:18 am

Good morning! I've had 2 extremely lazy days, and I think I'm ready to be more productive today. :) Yes, even Thanksgiving was lazy because dh ended up doing much of the actual cooking (he likes cooking and he likes being in charge - and I don't mind on a day like Thanksgiving) and ds and dd16 were willing to pitch in and help too. The only dishes I actually made completely on my own from beginning to end were the cranberry sauce and the whipped cream for the pumpkin pie. When I have time, I like to make our whipped cream from, well, whipping cream. I never even touched the potatoes. I did clean and cut up all the green beans, juice the lemons for the turkey and the green beans, handle the sweet potatoes after the initial boiling (they needed to be prepared for the oven), cut up most of the veggies and herbs to put in and outside the turkey. I also made sure the sparkling apple-cranberry drink was nice and cold before the meal. We now have a lot of leftovers, mainly turkey and mashed potatoes.

I woke up thinking today was Saturday. What a pleasant surprise to realize I have an extra day in my week!

That is one of my and dh's favorite movies, Harriet. Supposedly, it helps a little (very little?) to know the story line of the Odyssey when viewing it, which I remember vaguely and ds and dd19 (now) knew quite well when we last saw it. Whenever we notice we or others are having trouble communicating, we refer to the dialogue in the cinema: "Don't seek the treasure." Response: "We thought you was a toad." Repeat 3 times. LOL! More than any other lines in the movie, I think that non sequitur hit my personal funny bone the hardest!

I am up, s2sed, have had 2 mugs of tea, have done personal care. Dh has run the Roomba and is working.

What I think I'd like to do today:
- S and R's cats - feed and scoop litter. This didn't get done last night. 2 of the kids were supposed to go over and do that.
- a.m. routine
- lots of laundry
- pick up redbox movie (last attempt didn't work as the K roger where I found it has the redbox inside the initial set of doors and was closed by the time I got there)
- start organizing the piles of folders from work, moms group, and even volunteering I did last year.
- email small group; we had talked about seeing a movie together tomorrow night since our group will be very small
- start looking at notes I've borrowed from others for SS class next week. I like dh's notes on the topic the best.
- go to the gym and work out. Dh is going to do this too -- he's going to go to the weight room.
- dinner out? although, we do have plenty of leftovers.

Next:
- cat care for S and R
- progress on a.m. routine

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:43 am

I'm still not s2s but I've just finished breakfast.

I have produced the bulletin for Sunday night so that is done, awaiting final editing (including the correct name of the event which I cannot recall!)

Dh is working on getting off to Sweden today.

The old suction cups I have all are still in place. So the concept of hanging the lights from suction cups is sound, just the execution is flawed. I'll buy proper ones this afternoon on the way back from the airport.

I'm off to s2s now and then work on payroll.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:57 am

Dcleaning lady is here but late, I think she probably texted me that she was running late but I realized that I must have left my phone is dh's car yesterday. He just called to let me know he has it at his office so I will pick it up on the way to dmom's.

We had a really nice Thanksgiving at dfriends' house - they had maybe 20 adults and their 5 kids (blended family, she had two fr pr marriage, he had 3) They were eating early - perhaps 1:30 and the kids were all going to their other families. Way too much food and I came home beyond pleasantly stuffed and we relaxed (or recovered) the rest of the evening.

Would like to write more but dMacs is having a fit to go walk....as dh reminds me "I am the human" but it's just too distracting/annoying to make him wait.

After I walk him, I will head out to get my phone from dh and go to dmom's.

Kathryn, sometimes dampening a suction cup slightly will help it hold - is it to attach to glass or another window material?

Sounds quite relaxing helia, you deserve it! I saw something online about putting very cold whipping cream into a mason jar and shaking it to whip it - I might try it some time.

Harriet, I never got to desk day this week. I was thinking that today was wide open, but visiting dmom will take a big bite out of the day emotionally. I hate to say I get frustrated, then mad at myself for being frustrated, and then begrudging that I'm always the caretaker...

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:31 pm

This is a business as usual day here for me. H is home toddlern will be here in a while. Not doing the black Fri. Thing, grads have grown up don't need any thing that bad.

Need to do a store run some time this weekend and we want to see the light displays at two of the local parks while we are out and about.

~made up gravy for hot turkey sans for lunch or dinner.

helia

Postby helia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Done:
- gathered, sorted, and started a lol
- made hotel reservations for Cmas in my parents' town
- emailed small group re: movie night tomorrow
- lunch

Twins, I don't have the patience (or possibly the strength?) to shake a jar to make whipped cream. I throw it in the mixer on high with the whisk attachment. ((HUGS)) for visit to dmom.

Dh will be following Ken across the Atlantic on Sunday, Kathryn as he heads to the UK and Netherlands. He has meetings in UK (research funding review/communication, I believe) and then he will visit his father and probably some sisters in NL. He might try to visit a sister (or two) in the UK as well.

I'm not doing black Friday either, nancy, unless I take advantage of some online sales.

Next:
- switch laundry
- make bed
- sit with dh, ds, and dd16 as they have brunch. Dh likes me to sit with the family when they eat, even if I'm on a different schedule.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:00 pm

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. We ate at 1 ish at dd1s. We came home before 3. Dh napped because he is going backwards in his ear recovery. At 6 we went to dd2s and ate at 7 ish. Dh wasn't feeling great so he came home. Later 10 of us played Apples to Apples. Then we playing Family Feud. About 11 both dds and I decided to go shopping. All the stores at opened anywhere from 4 pm and on. So every store we went to was practically deserted. We were able to buy at least one thing at every store. About 4:30, yes am, we brought everything to my house. We then went to dd2s because she needed to get some sleep, so then dd1 and I headed out in her car. Dd2 wanted a sleeping bag for dgd3 from Menard's who were opening at 6. Dd1 had several things she wanted, so we told dd2 we would pick one up. We went to 2 other places while waiting for Menard's to open. There was a line when we got there, so we just waited in the warm car until everyone in line was in the store. We were home before 7. Dh was already up. He seen the dining room full of bags, etc. and knew we had went shopping after all. Dd1 had her app going on her phone that is a pedometer. It had 9818 steps and over 5 miles, from midnight.

I took about a 3 hour nap. Then I sorted out the bags in 3 piles. I vacuumed the area where they were so we can put up the tree. I have already drug it upstairs and I'm waiting for dh to put it together. I am sure I could do it, but will wait for him.

Talked to dd2 who wants us to come over for lunch to eat leftovers. Sometime before 2 we need to go the shop that sells all kinds of sports items. They are 20% off until 2. I told dd2 that we really need to go before we eat. So I will see how soon I hear from her.

Dd2 made dressing using her dmil's recipe. It was delicious, as were her sweet potato casserole and zucchini and squash casserole. I don't even like sweet potatoes but I loved that casserole. As always dd2 was the hostess with the mostest. She really does go all out.

Guess I better get ready to snag dh and get him in gear on the tree. I want it up today, so I spend the next 3 days decorating as I have time.

Return to “Post When You Can”