Wonderful Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Sunny

Re: Wonderful Wednesday

Postby Sunny » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello everyone! It is a beautiful, sunny day here - 71* at the moment.

Kathryn, that certainly was a mega storm you've had; good thing you were able to get around in it, and your good deed was a plus!

Cathy, we have osprey, bald eagles, hawks, owls etc. as well as the song birds and wading birds here. I have sometimes watched the eagle camera in Ft. Myers and various owl cameras. I don't like to see the killing of the prey animals (I cringe when I see animals hit on the road). I guess I have a soft heart for all living things. But I also know that it is a survival life for all the animals. I was always a little afraid to let our cocker spaniel out late at night by himself, especially when he got older. It is wise to keep your kitty inside!

((Twins)), hope today is going better for you, especially the meeting for your dmom. ((Hugs))

Elizabeth, I know what sitting through those training videos can be like. When I worked at S am's C lub we called them Computer Based Learning (CBLs for short). Then we had to take a test at the end of each one!

Lady M very sorry you had a rough night with dgd4! Hope it's going better now.

I have had shingles and my dh has had it also.....no fun!

Dh had an INR test today and was good; he goes back in one month. While he was gone I mopped the floors and vacuumed the carpets. Tomorrow I will do the easier things like dusting, watering plants, etc. Dfam #2 hasn't been down to see us for Sunday dinners for a few weeks now. But they have invited us to their home tonight for (Elizabeth's & dd's favorite) Chinese food. There is a really good restaurant in their home town that has take out. We had bought a couple of whole chickens to stuff and roast for Sunday if they were coming, so we decided to make them today and take one with us for them to have. They have done so much for us we wanted to do something for them. Now ddil won't have to cook for a day or two; and we will have one here for dh and me! It's a win-win for both of us! 8-)

Gonna go finish cleaning up the kitchen again. Have a good afternoon everyone!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:37 pm

Site seems really slow and “buggy” today, Harriet – blame your lost post on that. I had to log in again and got a couple of those error messages – “Page cannot be found,” etc.

I have never had shingles and have not had shingles shot, either. Of course, I will not be 55 until August, so maybe that is why doctor has not mentioned it. Now I’m thinking, after reading Dee’s post, can the shot increase possibility of getting it? I know some people swear the flu shot causes the flu. I don’t really believe that, and have NEVER had a problem with the flu shot, and get one every year. I’m really scared of shingles, b/c a dfriend had it a few years ago, and she is only a year older than I am, so she might not have even been 50 when she got it. I think dmom and ddad have both had it before, also. * sheesh *

DH is in a “state” b/c of his doctor’s appt yesterday. Doctor suggested water therapy for his knees and hips… actually set up the appt, but then dh came home, got to thinking about it and fretting over it, and cancelled the appt. He said if he spent 2 hrs, 3 days a week, going and coming and doing therapy, he wouldn’t have time to do the things he wants to do anyway. So now he’s afraid he’ll make the doctor mad, LOL. He really likes our doctor – just doesn’t want anything to mess up his “routine” if it is not for a life-threatening condition. He said he would rather be able to go to college town and play golf and accompany ds to various things than to tie up all his time with water therapy; he isn’t in THAT much pain.

I am in a “state” b/c dh invited dgs to go to college town with us Saturday (to a basketball game) and * EEK * ddil said he could go! * EEK * I’m sure we’ll have fun, but I had an absolute panic attack at the table when she said yes – hot flash, nausea, thought I would have to go to the bathroom… * whew * Deep breaths * I’m just nervous, you know, about having him off in a crowd like that – but I’m sure it will all be fine. (DS is going to be gone for 4 nights, and I’m sure ddil’s answer was based on that fact, LOL. She’s probably feeling a little overwhelmed right now.)

Sometimes I think friends don't have much of a clue about what we are doing or going through.

Have to say ditto to THAT, Cathy. Your friend sounds like a piece of work, herself.
Elizabeth, you are doing a fantastic job with your time with your dd. Don't let anyone discourage you or "peer pressure" you into stuff you don't need and can't afford.

I did not iron yesterday; lay around and coughed all day. However, today, I am ironing, but stopped b/c dh wanted me to order some sheets he heard advertised on radio. (He is very susceptible (sp?) to advertising sometimes. :roll: ) Then I caught a couple other email things I needed to take care of, and then I decided to check in with you ladies! Anyway – obviously, I am apparently going to live. New cough syrup pharmacist recommended, OTC, seems to be helping. BBL, maybe!
Waving to ALL!!!
Tomorrow is another day.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:41 pm

D helia ((❤️)) dd younger also has low bp - she goes blind when it drops low - very scary that happened to u!!! much love to you
U might feel a bit sluggish after what happened- feel better fast

Hi d twins hi dear Lucy hi dear Harriet and anyone I missed
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Anyone else have speed issues with the site loading?

<Edited to add: Asked and answered by Lucylee while I tried to post this!>

I'm wired in so 100mbps download and yet the site has timed-out. Go Daddy is reporting no wide-spread problems.

Dh and I walked for lunch at the bagel shop and picked up the dry cleaning, plus milk. I'm having some tea and jelly beans right now. Bought some made with real juice but they aren't great like the cherry lovers ones from the Tractor Supply Store.

Picked up the mail on the way upstairs and am in for the night now.

My ankle is killing me so will stay off it. The walking was unsteady in places but I had my hiking poles with me so I was OK. We had to walk on the road along most streets but the 'main' street did have the sidewalks cleared. I've never seen the grocery store so crowded, I wondered if the power was out at the bigger store a few blocks away. My guess is people are running out of things so coming home early to do their shopping on the way. Dh said there were only 4 containers of milk left after he picked up our two.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Lucylee: tell your dh that things he wants to do (like go to ballgames) will quickly become impossible once he loses the use of his knees. He'll gain weight, he'll feel sluggish, he won't be able to sleep comfortably at night and his mobility will be limited. It's his choice, deal with it now or deal with the consequences later.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:46 pm

FINISHED! Yeeps that was boring! Normally, my job is not boring, but required training? ACK! Now I have to remember what I was doing before. Oh yeah, it was looking into data sourcing. I think I will do a bit of transcription first. I have so much of that to do. I am planning on getting the shingles vaccine as soon as I possibly can. Dad and a neighbor had it and were miserable.

Just got word from the boss, that, after all the work on the workaround bin calculation, that one of the higher ups wants to go with bins of 0-25%, 25-50%, etc. The reason we went to the calculated bins is that the original report had the simple bins and you got all the counties in one color except for one. Using calculated even distributions gave the same ugly results. Higher ups requested using something else. Only the equal distributions I calculated gave maps anyone liked. The plan is to copy the report and make a version with the ugly maps to remind everyone why they requested the change in the first place. Fortunately, this is easy. I will do it before transcription and before returning to data sourcing.

CathyS is right about clueless friends. I have tried to explain to this friend that my life is like it was back in grad school, completely forgetting that her college and grad school days were built on a mountain of debt. She eventually paid off the debt, by cashing out retirement funds. She paid off her house the same way. She is the daughter of an accountant and a volunteer tax preparer, but has a cavalier attitude toward finances. The expression she uses is "money comes, money goes". When she was unemployed for two months, she signed up for every credit card offer that had an interest free period and lived on it. Unfortunately, she made no attempt to curb her spending and even found more things around the house she 'needed' as she spent more time there. DD14 had more sense back when she was DD6!

Kathryn: I think we have the same XM subscription, because that is what I pay. I don't have cable because I don't have a TV. I won't download music to my phone because I don't like the fidelity of the compressed format or the sound of music on phone speakers. (It would also require me to pay more per month). I have an old, but high end stereo at home and a decent, though not special, stereo in the car. We do rent and check out movies. I don't think it would be unreasonable for DD to have access to Netflix if she is at home by herself for 12 hours a day for a week at my house. But that could only happen two times in two years, so not worth the expense. DD understands this, my friend does not.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:53 pm

D Elizabeth u did it even though it was boring awesome
D Kathryn yes the site was hard to load earlier

Vacuumed hall rug upstairs but still needs the ability iOS vacuumed - the regular vacuum doesn't do the sides
Clean the bedroom surface only and quick vacuum
All our bedrooms need a deep cleaning
Emptied a basket and put away
2 loads of laundry done - no whites yet

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:57 pm

New report generated and deployed with various options we can use for maps. I have maybe 30 minutes before I have to leave, so I think I will skip the data sourcing (likely to take a long time) in favor of the transcription. Since today has been mostly boring, I might as well continue the trend.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:02 pm

D Lucy ur a fun wonderful person - he will have a wonderful time w u

- I know u get stressed and muscle relaxation biofeedback may work for u - dd younger has had to do that for her pain syndrome and she swears by it - if u want to know how it's done I would b happy to share - it sounds high in the sky but they use this technique on all types of anxiety as well -

u raised an awesome son so I know ur grandson will have fun

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi sunny
Hi Nancy
Last edited by blessedw2 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”