Thursday Thirst for Knowledge

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Re: Thursday Thirst for Knowledge

Postby CathyS » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Key storage for a deep purse... I went to a dollar stare and bought a (?) lanyard. I don't know if that is what they are called, but it is a long strap that is a loop, like a necklace and it has one of those closed hooks at the end where the necklace (?) closes. I looped it around the strap of my purse and it has stayed there ever since. (Many, many years) It is black and the purse is a very dark brown leather, so it almost matches. They had numerous other colours, but I didn't need bright pink or baby blue. I did go back and get one with Canadian flags on it for when I travel. I used to have suitcase keys on it, but now suitcases tend to lock with combination locks. IF I need to put the keys into my purse, I hook them onto this closed hook thing and I can toss them in and let them sink to the bottom because I can just yank on the top part around the handle. Usually, if I don't have my purse, I have gotten into the habit of keeping anything for dh (cell phone and his truck key that is attached to my car key) in my right pocket, because he is my right hand man. My cell phone and my house keys go in my left pocket. Sometimes it is the pockets of my housecoat, and other times it's a sweater or jacket.

Something I have been learning towards the end of every month is budgeting for books. I quickly count how much cash I have on me before I go out and when I am out book hunting, I know how many books I can get. I spent close to $20 today. Part of that was a 13 book series on all types of gardening for $4! They weren't exactly new, but the basics of gardening and looking after house plants, etc, hasn't really changed much since the 80's.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Of all the days to wake up late. ....

I woke up at 6:15. Eek! I S2s, hair, teeth, face and out the bathroom to wake 2 kids up. I carried DGD4 to DD's room and then started LO on his morning routine. DH and I were out the door at 7:15 for his eye appt.

After DH yearly eye exam (all is good) we ate breakfast at IHOP. We split an omelet and it was still too much food.

We picked up LO monthly ADHD prescription from pediatrician and took it to be filled. While waiting for the pharmacy took care of that we shopped for items on "buy this" list. I made it home 7 minutes before needing to leave to volunteer at school. About 1/2 of the grade school classes were at track meet and field trips so my volunteering gig was shorter than normal.

While we were gone they poured concrete so I have concrete leading to the front door!!! We can't walk on it yet but it looks so nice and I can dream of the day that mud isn't tracked in. Tomorrow they will start tearing up failing asphalt driveway and putting forms in place for that concrete pour. Dreaming of the day I can clean the floor and they stay that way for more than 10 minutes........

watch all the notes fight. Maybe the folder will catch on fire from all the disagreements.

Harmony I love your humor!!

Keys - I am fairly rigid about key placement. We have a shoe box for most of the keys. There are about 20 keys in it and they are labeled and 99% of them on individual lanyards. When I get a key from the box I put the lanyard around my neck so I don't lay it down and lose it (yes, I had to learn to do this the hard way). The key to the extra vehicle was kept in this box....until DH took it out to start the engine. He didn't put it back into the box. Who knows what he did with the key? Someday we will probably find it.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Harmony I love your humor!!

Thanks LadyM, but I'm afraid I don't feel much humor today. I was so frustrated this morning I actually sat down and had a cry. Something I hardly ever do.

Been working hard but if you'd look around it would be hard to tell. :evil:

I've cleared the dining room table, set up/organized another file box. Kept up with telephone / faxes / phone calls all day. Unloaded dishwasher. 1 LOL hanging up.

DH called with emergency request and I ran out to get supplies and took them to job. Another 1 1/2 hrs lost. I don't like what he's doing today. It's too hard. When I took the supplies there he had to move things over to other truck and each bag of 6 was 100 lbs. He has a 50 lb weight limit for his hip replacement.

Got some clouds overhead. Maybe we'll get some rain for a change. Would give us a break from the hour of watering we do every evening.

I put those thumb clips on my 2 key rings, small ones, and I keep my car & house keys on the fastener that holds the purse strap. So when I need to run out the door I grab my purse and I have the keys right there. Sometimes I misplace my purse though... Big thick set of truck keys I keep inside my purse unless I'm having to drive a truck, then I clip them to the outside. We have key racks at both entry doors to the house. gotta run...

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:32 pm

Also a car key on lanyard in purse here, but not as wise about truck key, which I do tend to allow to fall into purse oblivion (on a ring). Thinking about that. I keep thinking I'm going over to that inner purse sectional organizer - I do have one, still in the package. That might help. My own yard/barn/tractor keys are in the saucer of my African Violet's pot. No explanation - it's just worked out best for them to be in plain sight to my eye but probably unnoticed by those who don't speak Violet.

Knowledge chat
I was amused by the fire potential in Harmony's folder, too. At this point, I like the label, "Nutritarian". Plant based, but still moderate animal protein, with highest nutrition as the most important thing. I can tell you the names of the doctors/researchers whose books I've read who would worry about the "still some animal protein", and the names of the doctors who would worry that I'd moved away from animal protein this much. I admire all of them. Not throwing anybody's books away around here :) so the fire will have to break out on the bookshelf. But perhaps I should sort by opinions - I press my flowers in these.

Errand to bank. Ducked across the road to pick up a few items at grocery. Noticed they have Better Bush tomatoes that look so healthy. Thinking on that. They have little "teepees" in the pot with the plant, that stick out of the ground about 10 to 12 inches, and they call this, "support". Surely they are not serious - Better Bush grew to 3.5 feet or more for me, and when full of tomatoes would fall right over from the weight. Still, a good choice for us to grow and stake this year ... ...

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:53 pm

We have a new member posting in the Café.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Keys. I have a tray on the bookcase by the door to the garage where keys should get dropped. If dkids or dh leave keys out and I am cleaning up, I put them there. Keys used infrequently (extra key to my car, dd's keys, pool key for neighborhood pool etc.) are on little hooks inside the closet just inside garage door. I don't always get keys dropped in they tray when I come in. (There's an understatement, should get this habit going again. Dh woke me up early one morning when I had blocked ds' car in and he was leaving for work. I was able to tell him exactly where the extra key was at least.)

My keys have metal hardware hook that opens and closes attached to the key rings. I often put keys in my pocket when I can, otherwise, I clip them to my purse. I keep a brass looking shower curtain ring (wide on one end, narrow on the other that opens and closes) clipped to my purse handle or just inside my purse for attaching keys. If I'm walking the ddog without a purse they usually get clipped to my belt loop.

That said, this morning I located my keys in the laundry room When I was going out the door yesterday, I had keys in my hand but got sidetracked, and stopped at the laundry room to move the washer load over. When I was actually ready to go (dog in car, purse in hand, etc.) I couldn't find my keys but grabbed the back up.

I could stand to improve my key retrieval system.

I need to go back out and pick the ddog up - I came home from mother's but thought I would just go back out in a bit and get the dog. Nice to have some quiet time that I don't have to be wondering what he's up to. I rec'd new credit card today via Fed Ex - he grabbed mine off the counter yesterday and it was chewed up - had to spent time calling for replacement and remembering all the "secret words."

I'm trying not to kick myself because my energy has been low this week - OTOH, last week I mostly wrapped up our tax return and extended it, made veggie lasagne and entertained 20 or so for a dinner meet and greet, visited my dsis, and celebrated Passover. So I'm accepting that this is probably an off week. So it goes.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:56 pm

Taxes are filed but I think there's at least one mistake. Sigh. I'm supposed to fill in and mail a form stating how much foreign assets I have and my trading account with US stocks counts. But the form didn't end up coming out of the system after I filed and I'm worried it was sent electronically as if we don't have to file it (we do.)

In the meantime I'll print off two copies and we'll fill them in since they have to be received by April 30. On the plus side, we live 10 minutes from the place they are to be delivered so we'll drive them over.

I made a second mistake, which the tax software caught and we now own 1/10th of what we thought we owed. Besides the obvious "having more money" joy, it also means we don't have to pay installment payments next year. Woot!

Dh is starting burgers for dinner. I have to cook up hamburg chowder for the freezer tonight and he's also making up a shepherd's pie for dinner tomorrow and the leftovers for him on Sunday (I'll just have something light, like the chowder, since I'll have been eating all afternoon with MF at one of our 2 hour lunches.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:58 pm

Key bowl for home pocket for purse.

Mowed a but before h came hone it clouded up & us suppised to rain. Thundered already done just in time.

Love new member's comment oh look a squirrel!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:27 pm

Clouds blew over, another day with no rain.

DH came home all cramped up, arms, hands, legs. Gave him a couple glasses of my mineral drink and his cramping stopped. I guess it works.

One of the reasons I have been so upset is that I went to the dr. sure that I'd lost 14 pounds since I'd been there last time. I mentioned that and she said it looks like 2 lbs. I thought I didn't hear her right but it nagged at me in my head till I couldn't stand it. Yes, I lost 14 lbs. she looked at the clinic record where I was last when I was about 12 lbs down. Then I lost another 2 and went to see her. Shouldn't be so upsetting, but darn it I want credit for all that work I did. :x

My folders and binder are smoking on my desk. I simply do not know what to eat any more. I did make another batch of mineral water, and I used orange instead of key lime. Not so strong or tart. Better flavor. 7 cups of water, only a tblsp lemon and 1/2 cup oj fresh squeezed. At least it's not high calorie.

Still have to do dinner and dishes. I did all the watering by myself since DH was going out again. Had to take care of the credit card left this morning at the big orange store... and after going through all that they called they had found it. Sheesh.

BWTG everybody getting their taxes finished. I got the month half-way closed out today, the hard part. Can you believe it's almost May?

Homemade turkey soup. I guess that's healthy enough to eat, huh?

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:54 pm

In my case lately, instead of "Oh, look! Something shiny!" It's "Oh, look! A book!!"

I have at least 5 books that I have started and I am reading all of them at the same time AND

AND

AND I have 5 cross stitch projects actively being worked on. This doesn't include an entire filing box full of projects started.

Thank goodness I am not working outside of the house right now.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”