Sunday sabbath PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Sunday sabbath PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun May 01, 2016 7:13 am

With my job I don't usually get to observe a day of rest on a Sunday. Today is one of those rare occasions where, not only do I have the opportunity to attend church as a normal person, but I make it into a special day.

While it comes from Bible, a day of rest is something everyone needs. Stephen Covey talks about sharpening the saw (Habit #7) but I'm sure each of us has experienced at some point, our bodies simply saying "enough!" and forcing us to take a break if we don't mindfully take a break. Ds told me that last week he ended a series of night shifts, went to bed at 9 a.m. and woke up at 4 a.m. the following morning, 12 hours later than he intended to wake up! His body is saying, "enough!"

So, tell me how you build sabbath into your Basic Weekly Plan.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Sunday sabbath PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun May 01, 2016 7:26 am

On my special sabbath days, I:

Drive for 90+ minutes. Because it is a Sunday morning the drive isn't too stressful and I find my mind slowly turning away from all that I have left undone, and settling into the day to come.

Attend church. I'm 90 minutes from home. I know a few people there now, but in general I have no responsibilities aside from being friendly. No one I have to greet, no jobs up front, no announcements to make, no events to plan.

Lunch with Minister Friend. After service and coffee hour and his congregation's pulls on him, we go off for a 2+ hour long lunch and just sit and talk. We see each other about every 4 months so there's catching up to do mostly it is reflecting on our own situations while we share our news, and also thinking of the other. I'd love to make this a one hour lunch and an hour walk & talk, but he can't talk while walking. I've tried that when he's had the dog here at the apartment and he has to stop every block or so and talk for 5 minutes and then we move on for another block. So today will be as close to a zero step day as I can have.

Long drive home. Slightly more stressful because this stretch of road is dangerous, but also a chance to think over the events of the day and come up with a plan for the upcoming week.

Light dinner (after all, I ate from 1 - 3:30!) and then, if I'm lucky, a walk with dh to help stretch out the 7 hours of sitting through the day.

I've been having a slow start to the day but have to scramble now. I need to leave in an hour or so and haven't done anything but have my tea and chocolate.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun May 01, 2016 8:13 am

I am here....ish.

Twins' is like Lynlee today. She can say it's day after Sabbath already at her house. :)

Twins', my dear Joe, my closest father-in-law, passed away more than a year ago. Of my 3 dfil presences since I was first married to my late dh, he was the one who stayed with his own home and offspring as much as circumstances would allow as single parent to HRH, and also I just flat liked him. :)

This is my dsecondmil's husband who is not actually kin to any of us. The call was pretty ominous. Hospice nurse felt someone should stay with dmil Friday night. Dd drove me there, stayed two hours, with plans to drive back the next morning and get me after I spent the night. It was a difficult evening with so much of dstepfil's family coming in that it was standing room only - rather a surprise, and exhausting to dstepmil. But finally we were alone and I thought I would get dsecondmil to get some much-needed sleep. Sigh. She couldn't rest and called to me after just an hour that something was wrong. Long story short, he passed away before midnight. In hindsight, I should have insisted that we tell no one in the world besides hospice. But that is another story, possibly for J and C.

lucylee, I was sorry to return and see that you and your dmother have been through so much, and also that you find yourself in unfamiliar surroundings.

Ramblin', it must have been a blessing to your family that you were able to come to give so much help to dmother and dbrother too, for that matter. I hope your birthday was a happy one.

LadyM, even though I feel gratitude that your home was spared, it is so sad to think your neighbors so close have lost their homes and must feel there lives are so torn up. Just so glad you are safe.

helia, I'm proud of your ds! What if you got that tassel or cord now (?) and just took a photo for your family with him wearing it?

Lynlee, here "free range" does not mean what people think. There is no rule for how much outdoor access and sometimes it can be only a porch situation rather than ground, which only some of the birds can access at a time anyway. So you are wise to find out a little more. If the price is high, the space the birds have is probably good, though.

It is pouring here. I am not even going to try to curl my hair. I give up. I did not sleep Fri night. Not recuperated. And I just don't have the desire or really the ability to have nice hair now. Off to church though.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun May 01, 2016 9:03 am

Still pouring there, Harriet? We were watching the Charlotte/Rochester Lacrosse game there last night and it was on a weather delay when I went to bed. Actually it was the lightning that moved everyone out of the stadium. The teams were just coming back on the field when the lightning started lighting up the night sky. So have no idea if they were ever able to resume. We were also watching the Rochester Knighthawks game (indoor lacrosse) in Rochester. They were losing when I went to bed. Just decided I really didn't feel very well.

(DD did just say that the game resumed 2 hours later night, Harriet).

I'm up and feeling 'iffy' but plan to go to church. DD just got up a few minutes ago. She thought it was 8 ish when really it was nearly 9. We both had a rough night it seems.

Have church lunch at G olden C orral after worship today (for Mother's Day). Going to stop somewhere and bring dsonil something home for lunch. He said he fell asleep twice at work last night. He's gotten little sleep in the past few days -mostly because of the roof going on. They started again this morning at 8:30. I was a tad surprised they're up there on a Sunday but suppose they have to work when they can.

How many of you had "May Day Poles" on the first of May when you were growing up? I can remember it at times. Haven't seen it in years though. Happy May.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Sunday Sabbath PWYC

Postby Nancy » Sun May 01, 2016 9:16 am

I was watching U tube sermon on the Valley of dry bones in Ezekiel.
I fed the animals.
Journaling & qt underway. X
Last edited by Nancy on Sun May 01, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:16 am

Good morning

Dd younger had a horrible day at work yesterday- they hired a bunch of new guys from the high school and she has been put on desk duty - she was very hurt bc she taught all summer last year and worked over 1000 hours - two of the head young women - best friends- don't like her - I can't tell you how many times I was told she was indispensable for teaching and her hard work last year by the head of the center and most of the teachers teachers as well -we r friends of another person who invites us down - they wouldn't let her do any heavy work - it's hard to see your children get hurt so deeply. So I'm saying my prayers for her that it will work out! It's so rare that she gets flustered so I think that's why it's so hurtful- she's one that had a lot of logic and usually lets things roll off her back- but she she's very hurt

Hope u have a nice Sunday - today I'm working on a project -
Last edited by blessedw2 on Sun May 01, 2016 9:40 am, edited 6 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 am

Congratulations to your ds dear helia!!! :D

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 01, 2016 9:47 am

Today - it's project day - also since its May 1 - it is recycle magazines- even if we hadn't read them - I'll pull an article or two out but if not read in a week it goes - especially recipes and crafts

It's also settling the accounts and see how much I spent on what-
Do my budget for May - and see what cards I have to send out

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun May 01, 2016 10:36 am

I spent the night at the hospital but dmom is doing as well as could possibly be expected. She looks like you-know-what, but she is talking and LOL at Golden Girls on TV. Also ate breakfast -- first real meal since Thursday lunch.

This big city hospital is very nice and dmom has fallen in love ;) with her night nurse, a 20-something young man who is just as sweet and patient as he is cute.
Everyone at this hospital has been amazing, and dmom said if she ever had to leave Tiny Town again for a larger hospital, this is where she wants to be. It's an easy drive for me, and I am familiar with the city -- just had never used this hospital.

Had a small panic attack last night bc everyone is really encouraging me to get dmom moved to my grandmother's ASAP and dbro really jumped on that idea -- saying, "we can make that happen." Sheesh.
I know -- deep down inside -- I know this is for the best. Dmom has said FOREVER that this is her plan... EVERYBODY who knows us keeps saying so and asking WHEN is she going to move. I know it's partly just the fear of CHANGE (as usual) for me. It can't be that everyone else is nuts and I'm the only sane person in this scenario. Dbro helped me think that through -- remind me to share his "focus" exercise later.

So -- I'm going home after doctor makes rounds. Probably will not be back tonight.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun May 01, 2016 11:23 am

LucyL. Glad your mom has a plan.
Have had breakfast.
Got a bag of wool carded up.

Return to “Post When You Can”