Saturday SHE's Successful

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
helia

Re: Saturday SHE's Successful

Postby helia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:11 pm

We succeeded in getting breakfast and some groceries. Dh said that he wanted to go out to eat for dinner every night. He didn't want us to fuss with cooking or clean up. Well. .. LOL! So, we just have breakfast and lunch stuff. Groceries are insanely expensive here. My goodness. . ..

That is a beautiful story, Dee. Wow.
I'm glad you are able to visit dson, LadyM! Sounds fun and interesting - and yummy! Calamari is one of our family's favorite appetizers.

Yeah, it's a LONG trip to get here. Frankly, I'd forgotten about that. If I'd remembered accurately, I might not have made the trip this year. The only reason we go here regularly is b/c one of dh's main conferences meets in Honolulu every other year, alternating with Japan. Maybe I'll join him in Japan next summer, assuming he gets some papers in. Honolulu is not our favorite spot, to be honest, which is why we always leave and go to another island. Although, I must say, we have enjoyed walking around Diamond Head and snorkeling in Manauma? Bay and visiting some arboretum/natural park near Honolulu, maybe a part of their university? We went to Kauai the last 2 post-conference trips and Maui this time. We go for interesting nature, geology, and hiking. We went to the big island when the kids were ages 1, 3, and 5, and that was interesting, especially checking out the active volcano, which I think Elizabeth is going to do. We're going to check out the volcanic crater here, maybe tomorrow. It's a national park now.

Dh has just fallen asleep over his laptop. I'm feeling sleepy too. . . .Hmm.....

I think I'll update my food tracker and then maybe lie down.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi! Just woke up from a nap.

We spent some time zipping across water today. We took the boat up to Lake Erie. First we were going to launch at Port Colbourne. Dh wasn't too pleased that the launch and park price was $15 requiring all $1 coins. Who carries 15 loonies around? So we went a bit further north (?) to Crystal Beach and launched there for $10 in loonies and toonies. Spent a lot of time out on the lake and only came back to shore because we were both getting hungry and we hadn't brought any food with us. We had water and soda, but no food of any kind.

On the way home I told dh I would be going for a nap and I felt like I had too much sun.

So here I am. We got up, dh went and got tea and coffee and a toasted bagel for me this morning and we left so quickly that I didn't even get on the computer this morning at all.

While we were out on the lake, we decided to sell the boat. The placement of my seat is very close to dh and if causes problems when one of us has to get up and do anything. We need a slightly wider boat. We bought this one used last year and added a really good sonar, and because it is wired in, it has to go with the boat. That's ok. We will get more for the boat because of the good sonar. It's kind of sad because after about a year of me learning how to prep the boat for launch and then prep to go ashore, today was the first absolutely perfect launch and landing. Plus it was the first time we had spent a lot of time on Lake Erie with Buffalo being the major skyline.

We also talked about travel. Almost everything that dh wants to do includes going into the states. Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, Alaska, Cleveland, Hawaii. He has no desire to either cruise or go to the Mediterranean.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Ahhhh! Sweet success! I have worked off and on all afternoon on this dratted printer. Finally was able to do some sort of download (which then told me it was completed, and then when I tried to x out of it said it wasn't installed.) But now my printer shows up on the list and I was able to print and not only print, but print wireless. Now if it'll just hold in that pattern till this fall I'll be happy.

Dh just left for ds-A's. We had given them our gazebo that we had on the end of our deck for a couple of years. He's just putting it up and having trouble. Said his engineer (our dgs16) had gone with his friend to the races. Had forgotten that dh cut this off so it would fit on our deck so no wonder ds can't get it to go together. Dh told him 'piece of cake, it'll take us 10 minutes'. Uh....right. Somehow I know better. I decided to stay here and get the printer running. I was out of options and about to order a new one and/or ask dd to come over.

Later, everybody.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Back from the bbq had fun. Glad that part of the day is done. still need to get to the store but maybe tomorrow.Back from a walk w ddog. Spiffed up the kitchen.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:41 pm

Hello, villagers ~
It's been a long, hot day.

Business at the library was slow, which made the time drag. I would have liked to work my "non-priority project to do when we aren't super busy" but the summer temp teenager still isn't fully trained and he needs constant watching.

He's a funny kid. A few years ago he was very quiet and it was difficult to coax him to say 3 words in a row. Now he talks constantly. Today he talked about a killer anaconda found in the river near Sioux City Iowa, computer games he plays, termites eating his cousins' tree house, marching band, gamer trading cards, his family's cats and kittens, killer fish, computer games he wants to buy, staying up all last night downloading videos of The Smurfs, trying to find every episode of some other cartoon show, killer jaguars, jaguars vs. anacondas, and other topics I can't remember because holy cow 4 hours of constant chatter! :lol:

DH took me out for combination late lunch/early supper and then I took a nap for 2 hours.

I think I drank too much iced coffee today instead of the water I normally have at work. I'm feeling rather dehydrated at the moment. Luckily that's an easy fix -- water, water, water ...

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:58 pm

I have stayed cuop but am having trouble getting the time to post.

Harmony, yes, I am the one reading K risten H annah's books. I have enjoyed each one that I have read.

Yesterday dh had a drs appt. They x-rayed the ankle and then we seen the dr. Everything is still perfectly healed. The dr. wants him to do PT, 3 times a week for 4 weeks or until he accomplishes the goal that the dr. put on the prescription for the PT. We didn't realize that it was up to us to set up the PT. Dh has an appt for his initial assessment on Tuesday at 7:15 am. Then they will set up a PT schedule for him. I picked up the paperwork yesterday, so we can have that filled out before the appt.

The dr. didn't even have dh put weight on his foot at the office. When we got home and dh tried to walk, he was so disappointed that he couldn't just walk normal. He is now walking but with either the walker or crutches as support. He is suppose to soak his foot in ice water for 20 minutes after his PT. Since his ankle is still swollen, he has soaked it several times in ice water. He has another appt on July 15 and hopefully he will be released. Today is 12 weeks since he broke his ankle.

One of the sprinkler heads developed a solenoid problem last fall. Instead of fixing it then, dh decided to wait until spring. So then he broke his ankle and was not able to fix it. I called one repair company, who we have used before and they never called back. Called another guy who finally came out to look and never returned. So this morning dh took the solenoid off and all the parts that need replaced and I went and bought them. Came home and he fixed it within minutes. Yeah.....

Dd2 is feeling better but other than having me watch the kids a few times while she ran errands, I have not done much to help her. I have offered but she kept saying no. So............

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Lilac, these are wonderful reports - happy for you and family.

Like BookSaver, today a teen boy in my life about whom I learned a lot more. I believe he really enjoyed his time here. I must admit I am spooked trying to cook for him because of his Type 1 diabetes and not at all convinced that he knows how to handle it. I believe he knows how to keep his numbers at a good level - not how to eat healthily. I think he's avoiding produce and just deciding on meat only much too often. So a little concerned there. But he slept well and worked hard and seems happy.

HRH is happy with how much got done today, although he is achy. I think ds was frustrated with added responsibility of getting tractor hither and yon, but things seemed to work out. Dstepson was content and happy to accomplish a lot. He and nephew got along well.

Dd17 and I ... .. well, that's another story. Our day seemed to be taken up with helping, running errands, taking them things they forgot, etc. Our plans and projects simply didn't happen. So even though they see it as so successful, I wonder if they still would if they added in our hours.

I'm S2Sed and this evening dd and I shared a big green smoothie to try to compensate for some off-track eating.
I've gotten the music ready for tomorrow.
More church Desk Day. (report was sent yesterday ready or not.)
No nap today, which is both good and bad. I didn't get enough sleep, but then I didn't ruin tonight's sleep either.

This a.m. Tobias woke me at 6 to tell me how astonishing it was that the nephew had slept on the couch all night. Sigh. But I didn't feel I could wake nephew that early, so couldn't go to kitchen for cat food that early, and Tobias didn't feel he could let me go back to sleep that late. So there followed a lot of postponed contentment for both myself and cat. Sigh. :|
Off to bed earlier tonight with higher hopes.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:46 pm

I survived 4 hours on the water. I haven't spent much time on the water so it doesn't feel comfortable to me. It felt like we were going fast but each time i looked at the speedometer we were doing between 30-40mph. After a couple hours we dropped the anchor in a cove and swam. Then made the return trip to the boat slip. I was fascinated with the boat lift process because I've never seen it.

We ate Mexican food tonight. The new-to-me dish I ate tonight was shrimp stuffed jalapeños. It was so hot (spicy) that I couldn't finish it. Also had beef fajitas salad. I need to estimate calories of that meal and update MFP.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:26 am

I bricked the computer. So ends my attempt to upgrade to Windows 10.

Tomorrow I will try and recover the computer.

Return to “Post When You Can”