Faster than the speed of... holidays coming Wednesday!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Faster than the speed of... holidays coming Wednesday!

Postby CathyS » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:43 am

340 years later, perhaps we can be happy that the determination of the speed of light is known. I wonder if it had anything to do with how fast the various holidays were approaching? Was his mother or wife, if he had one, saying anything like how fast the month was speeding along and she was running out of time to get everything done?

How much time do you have to spare for whatever holiday you are celebrating?
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

CathyS

Re: Faster than the speed of... holidays coming Wednesday!

Postby CathyS » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:50 am

Hi!

I ran out of time to make supper last night. Dh said that he would have liked a heads up to bring something home, even if it would have only been bread. Today I would like to go buy a loaf or ten of bread just to have in the freezer.

I have a Women's Institute Christmas party to go to in Virgil, which is a very small town near Niagara on the Lake. One of those towns where they only have one stop light. My instructions to get there were "turn right at the light" because there is only one along that entire stretch of country road.

Dh would like lasagna tonight. I just need to buy the ricotta cheese.

Yikes! I need to scoot, the guys just phoned from the place we bought our riding lawn mower/snowblower. They would like to come over and do the switch at 8. ... Dh just called and now they aren't coming as there will be a service call charge, and he said he can save the money and do it himself.

~poof~
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:38 am

Faster was not the coming of the day. Slept (or NOT) horribly and now I can barely crawl. Nothing speedily getting done here today. I am at least s2s, meds done and bed made. But oh my eyes just want to close. Couldn't even get my left eye open for some time after I finally got up. I have some bites that are driving me crazy -not sure if they're mosquito or flea. Then my heel started really hurting all night. Hopefully a little better today. Ugh.

We've been having trouble with the kitchen sink for nearly a week. Have bought d rano to put down a couple of times. DD tried some really powerful stuff last night. Then walked over in her bare feet and exclaimed, "Why is the rug all wet in front of the sink?" Dry under the sink and then she opened the dishwasher (which we don't use) -full of water. So she's called the plumber and they're supposed to be here today. Meantime we aren't using the sink at all. :roll: Think it'll be a night out for supper.

Dh comes tomorrow. I'm really anxious for him to get 'home'.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:11 am

Yes, holidays are coming!

Yesterday was pretty much a loss, except for some inspired genealogy searching. Need to continue....possible father of Nancy isn't in 1860 census but is in 1850 and 1870 in the right district of the right county. I have made a spreadsheet of 1850 neighbors to roll forward to see where these folks were in 1860 and 1870. I suspect that this small area of the county (lying on the county line also) got left out in 1860. I can also see some folks who said they were neighbors of the man Nancy married in a Southern Claims commission file that were also neighbors of her father....Clear as mud, huh? Going to be hard not to work on this all day; I need to set aside some time for it however.

Painter who didn't come yesterday a.m. called and came by this morning. So I've at least talked to three painters.

Earlier in the week I wrote down for the week:
-flu shot
-ins for mother
-doc for mother
-stone for sister's grave
-painter, three quotes

So I'm good on the painter, have done some work on ins and doc for dmom, nothing on the other two.

Today I'll try to make progress on the two items for dmom, and I'll call to make an appt for dsis's stone too. Together with the usual stuff around here, need to advance laundry, perhaps put away the fall decorations and do some garage straighten up.

Right now:
-empty dishwasher
-breakfast and meds
-start a lol
-take ddog for walk
-complete dr paperwork for dmom, scan and send back

That will give me a start, of course, it's already past 10 a.m.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:27 am

Good morning everyone! As predicted, DD14's night was dinner then homework. She kept wanting me to help her. I can't. History was not my strong suit, and I have forgotten the vast majority of it. In addition, I was required to study Alabama history, New Mexico was covered only as 1/50th of American history. I did my daily chores to get ahead of them, with frequent breaks to deliver popcorn, drinks, and moral support. Other than that, not much got done.

Tonight, I need to write a thank you note. My coworker dropped off a bag of really nice yarn, two almost full bags of fiberfill, some felt, and an amigurumi book! The colors are mostly beautiful, with two ordinary (can't do much with white and brown), and no ugly. I need to wish a friend happy birthday too.

It turns out that the person who came to last Sunday school class was NOT the one at the center of the drama. i had my names mixed up. The drama lady is still gone, but occasionally posts things on Facebook that, while not overtly against our church, could easily be taken as such. Since I don't Facebook anyway, I am out of that loop.

At payroll, there will be a demo of the project for which my reports are designed. I am not doing any part of it, but questions may come up. Yesterday, I did something in a report I was told was not possible. Those who doubted me were happy to be wrong.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:41 am

(Dee) a lot going on. If you don't use the dishwasher, it isn't the dishwasher pump. It must be the drain line or the supply line from the sink plumbing to the dishwasher. I was curious so I looked under my sink. The drain line from the dishwasher comes over and attaches to the main drain line from the sink, above the goose neck. So...my unofficial opinion, is that your drain line from your sink is clogged from the bottom up to the connection with the dishwasher. It wouldn't be draining away, but allowing the sink water to back up into the dishwasher. Well, I'm not a plumber...but...I hope your drain pipe isn't broken down into your floor, hope snaking it does the trick.

I've been really working on the paperwork around here. Got the bills current, another big statement today, separating all the 2H bills makes another batch of time. But for the moment I am caught up. Last night's work till around midnight leaves me with only Dec. to do.

I'm waiting for DH to come back from customer's with ck. We are finishing 2H today.

I believe today is anniversary of Pearl Harbor. The day which threw us into the World War. It feels like in my lifetime I do not know a time when there was not some sort of war somewhere. :(

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Cathy (and everyone else, perhaps): At the bottom of the post is a link to the free Parks Canada 2017 pass. Because it is Canada's 150th birthday, all national parks will be free during the year.

I'm up and s2s. Have dealt with email (the reading I needed to be in the service is in the service so my sermon prep is back on track.)

I've taken the tree bag down to the storage locker. And had a huge snack.

Next up - return dh's book to the library bookmobile.

https://www.commandesparcs-parksorders. ... _admission

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:39 pm

you can always look it up on Youtube

I consider youtube a priceless asset! I am continually using it to learn more about one subject or another. I currently have FIVE youtube videos in progress concerning DS8 challenges.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Back from the bookmobile which took way longer than it should have. I put on red mitts and my Santa hat and everyone wanted to stop and chat!

Next up 15 minutes to work on the mail, then 15 to come up with a grocery list.

I've texted dd to find out how dgs is doing. No word yet (his first inoculation was yesterday.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi. At some point I need to find out what ya'll did yesterday and CUOP.

This a.m. an AT T man stayed here for a long time. We don't have any problem. He just enjoys talking with HRH, which has happened a few times with all the construction, new water lines, etc. :| I am not kidding - just to talk. They talked computers/fiber optics/network, etc. Finally he left to go do the work on the temporary lines stretched across the road for ds and my parents' house following all the changes. I'm sure he'd be in trouble over this.. ... also he accidentally let Tobias out at a time of morning when Tobias is full of energy and it took me a while to get him back. Just such a random but time-consuming "visit" (?) that had us looking at each other in puzzlement.

I was somewhat negative on my ability to attend a Sat a.m. rehearsal, so now our guitarist is trying to schedule a Sat afternoon one. Sigh. I wasn't meaning mornings were hard, but that Saturday itself was hard. I am actually much more likely to have company or be needed to take care of the grandchildren in the afternoon.

Dd called HRH to talk about some questions she's being asked at work. HRH confirms that to him they are human resources style questions fishing for info for potential promotion, such as asking her to give her thoughts on delegation. So she spent a long time then on phone with me talking out her feelings about "getting hopes up" or the opposite.

I have spiffed the kitchen.
steel-cut oatmeal breakfast, comforting

The week's plan I made here Sun says indoor Christmas prep, to which I'll be adding church Desk Day.

Funny opening for us, Cathy.

Yes, the last weeks of the year are speeding.

Time passed!!
I explained why here.
random loss of that paragraph to cyberspace
I give up.
posting what I've got

Return to “Post When You Can”