Saturday Setting Wheels in Motion

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Saturday Setting Wheels in Motion

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:25 am

We're at a time in December when a lot of "wheels" are turning toward upcoming events.

And some are not in motion yet, so maybe we need to set them on their course!

What are you making sure has a good start today?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Saturday Setting Wheels in Motion

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:56 am

Received confirmation of a family of 4 joining us for Christmas so I'm up to 8 confirmed, 4 maybes among my family and CF & CM's family of 5 has yet to confirm but will since CF's sister and CM's best friend are in the 8 confirmed! I've just invited my minister and his partner and MF because, as dh says, the more the merrier. We've already spilled into a second table. I'm debating helping myself to one of the residents' association folding tables and chairs since they are sturdier and larger.

I need to count but seem to have invited 19+dgs. I suspect it will settle in at 16 bodies to be fed.

I need to get the car washed this morning. We have a monthly plan for unlimited free washes but I like to go at least once a week and haven't been yet this week. Plus it will be nice to have a clean car for the drive this afternoon.

I need to hit the treadmill for at least 2 miles. I'm pretty sure it is impossible for me to hit my daily average this week. I had built up a 5K buffer for this weekend, but then only went 6K yesterday (spent the morning talking with ds and the evening at the concert and the afternoon finishing the service so never had a chance to walk.) Today and tomorrow both have 2 hours in the car plus lots of other sitting so I don't see me getting 10K over the weekend, let along 10K each day even if I do get on the treadmill this morning.

I have to be packed and ready to go at 12:30.

First dd's Christmas Open House, then drop dh at home and drive the 100 miles up to Pembroke. A quick dinner, settle into the hotel and then over to the Pentecostal Tabernacle for their Singing Christmas Tree. This is a community event and many from MF's church will be in the choir and many more in the congregation so I've received many invitations to it. That will fill in my evening nicely and score me brownie points.

Service is done.

The Christmas concert last night was OK but my head wasn't in that space so I was very distracted and bored. Dh and I had nice dinner.

*Poof!*

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:08 am

I love how you started us d harriet!!! A good start to keep the day in a positive direction! I like that

I wish you a good day d kathryn. h I wish you a good day too d harriet and to all as well.

A good direction - I have been up since 6:15 and have had time to get my head together - I spent the day yesterday on signing up for next years insurance and doing uncles paperwork and medical updates, where did my day go lol.
Today:
have to:
-I have to bring my uncle's dinners (as the weekend man can not cook anything but his traditional food) and we are expecting a nice bit of snow.
-little bits of grocery shopping in case snow gets deep.
-bank deposit

want to: christmas shopping this morning
wrap presents AND PUT AWAY WHERE I WILL FIND THEM.

truth: I haven't decorated yet but will after monday. (hoping I will finish christmas gifts before I decorate)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:06 am

Wheels in motion is an excel theme for today. Thank you, Harriet!

Today our calendar is a lovely blank space. I plan to use this lack of events to -
** finished lessons from this week of homeschooling
** planning and organizing next week of lessons
** fasting. My eating is out of control. Especially late night binges. I need to reset my hunger trigger.
** Star War marathon on TNT channel. DH and DS8 both love SW.
** continue in my research in developing plans for DS8 various label challenges
** go to our little town Christmas parade then to the community center for visit with Santa. DS8 said he is not going to sit in Santa's lap this year, but he will eat the cookies & punch. ha!

This morning I have been txt'ing with the Mom's of DS8 friends about caroling details for next Wednesday night. Going house to house singing carols to the elderly occupants is one of my favorite Christmas traditions. Behind the scene planning & coordinating to keeping the activity safe requires plenty of adult supervision. Loading & unloading 50+ children in the dark, then monitoring the children riding on an open trailer being pulled by pickup to the next caroling spot. Repeat a dozen+ times.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:36 am

LadyM, I'm happy for you with travel caroling, though as soon as you said 50 children on a trailer I thought, "better LadyM than me!". Fun for the children, and if it makes a memory, it will be worth all the trouble.

"the more the merrier" is not my mantra, for sure. Happy for Ken in Canada, btw, to have enjoyed inviting, and anticipating the hospitality.

Off those tracks slightly into philosophy - A discussion of "programs" (catchword in churches for working hard on an annual or regular effort) has sparked some hard thinking in our church. Interesting. We have been in an evening study that is recorded and has a book along with it. The sermon to watch on DVD together last Sunday evening put programs into a negative light. Certainly there are some negative things to consider. Our enforced SS teacher was all over this during discussion, condemning effort and work that churches put into some of the mentioned things, especially some "church growth" concepts to bring in new people. Others said later that it was a funny thing he's the one who wanted us to work on banners for vestibule and have a committee to keep up with welcome baskets there, to be given to every visitor to take home with them. ? lol

I'd say, if there's an obvious negative about working on a program/event it is in the case you or others might do it out of "shoulds and oughts". If there's an obvious positive, it's that without any meaningful moment, you don't have a meaningful moment (smile), and go through an efficient season, or whatever, with no memories, either.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi everyone!!

My dh's truck wheels are in motion this morning as he is driving to St. Catharines to do some Christmas stocking stuffer shopping for his wife. I was invited to go along, but declined. He already mentioned that he was going to Chapters, so that won't be much of a surprise to open that gift card. Just the amount. I am not trying to be petty, but I wish he hadn't told me. I told him that he didn't need to buy the gift card envelope, as I had saved them from last year as he had complained that they charged money to stick their card into their envelope. I think it may have only been $1, but it irked him at the time.

I have finally taken down the tote full of our usual Christmas decorations, and the little hooks to go on the decorations just seem very flimsy. They come unbent under the weight of the decoration they are supposed to be holding up.

Gah!! Enough ranting... off to make use of my time alone, whether it be 1 hour or 3. Dh is a fast shopper. He gets in, gets what he is after and leaves. The only store he doddles in is Bass Pro Shop. :D
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:04 pm

1st thing here is making sure the car has a good start! Dead battery again this morning! So... auto zone or something first -- then we're going to see Noah's Ark. check it out -- ark experience, Williamstown, KY.
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:33 pm

LucyLee - Noah's Ark and the Creation museum (I forget the official name) is on my bucket list. Several friends have been to it and highly recommend it. I'm looking forward to what you think of it. Have some fun!

Gave DS8 an online test for Dyslexia. One test doesn't prove anything, but it does give me another clue. Today's test results show DS8 is reading at grade level however he is at risk for Dyslexia because his low score on decoding short vowel followed by a consonant. That is one challenge I discovered he had several months ago, but I didn't know the name for the problem (dyslexia). When I discovered his challenge, I ordered a curriculum that focuses on this challenge and he has made a remarkable improvement in the past couple of months. Today's test just confirmed we are on focusing on the right thing to help him with that challenge. Baby stepping our way through this learning adventure.....

11:30am and I'm still in my pj's...... Loving this relaxed day.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm all packed.

I made a bit of progress on the other things on my list.

It is time to go now. Actually past time.

See you all in many hours (I'll likely check in while I'm at supper at McDonalds.)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:11 pm

went to christmas shopping Yay!

went grocery shopping for us and uncles. stopped by uncles and showed the older weekend man how to heat up the food I brought/young man who lives there during the week needed me to take him to the bank and the post office and drop him off at the mall for the bus - so done done and done
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Post When You Can”