Frantic, try not to freak out, Friday!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
CathyS

Frantic, try not to freak out, Friday!

Postby CathyS » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:17 am

Hi!

Take some time today for peace and quiet. Reflection in the midst of chaos. Try to find a few moments to be still. We aren't perfect, and there is nothing we can do to make this year, or any other, a Norman Rockwell, picture perfect, Martha Stewart holiday!

So what if there is a bit of dust on the top of the dining room cabinet!

So what if there is a dust bunny under the bed!

So what if the ornaments are NOT all hung by the chimney with care!

Do what you can. Be who you are! Remember, you are loved in the forum, not matter what!!

Group hug!
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

CathyS

Re: Frantic, try not to freak out, Friday!

Postby CathyS » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:30 am

HI everyone!!

Dh wrote me a very loving note last night. He said that every once in a while, he will get something in his head that needs to come out through his hand and on to paper. This is the second time he has done this since we reunited in 2014. He also says he has never done this before. He also says that other than engagement and wedding rings, he has never gone out and bought any woman a piece of jewelry. He's so happy about us all the time, and everyone he knows comments to me about it. Our accountant has known him for decades, and he commented on it yesterday. His mom commented on it the day before.

Now I just need to stop the way I feel sometimes and just stop worrying that I keep doing things the wrong way or for the wrong reasons.

As soon as dh leaves for work, I need to make the monkey bread. It's a surprise for him, so if he hasn't figured out that those 2 cans of dough that explode into being are in there for that reason, I'm good to go!

Time to stop feeling so guilty about things, and remember that I am NOT Martha Stewart.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:33 am

Monkey bread is in the oven. While I was waiting for dh to leave, I put together some "Candied fruit and almond bites". It is a non cook recipe, and while the monkey bread is cooking, I will roll that into small pieces and then roll in icing sugar.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:43 am

Ah, Cathy, I hate to say it but I don't think any of us here are Martha Stewart. I hope I haven't broken any hearts by mentioning that - we all do have some good days with our smoke and mirrors going but that's just an impossible ideal for those of our ilk.

I am surprised that I actually got most of the things done on my li&t yesterday, despite spending a lot of time at mother's - that was unexpected as I was going there today. I did not get groceries yesterday, so need to head out early to do that today.

Dbro is getting agitated when dmom gets agitated. She's been worrying about her money cards to give to children and grandchildren, and, while I was getting cash yesterday, I wasn't planning to go there until today. But he felt he needed me to come and help settle her down, so I did. While there, the home health care OT person called and wanted to come by and dbro was agitated about that, not wanting him there. Somehow dbro is getting stressed by what he called the "endless parade" of home health care calling and coming by. So I was stressed, ended up staying there long enough to be there for OT visit and help answer questions and diffuse some of the issue. (I had to stop at two different banks on the way to get her cash - the first didn't have enough twenties?)

I came home dmom's extremely upset myself and just feeling worn down - we ended up going out to eat together which was nice. I'm feeling overstimulated myself - had the painters here yak-yaking this week, then yesterday dmom was talking so loudly (because she can't hear) and she seemed like she was just going all the time. Once I got back home after supper out, I read in the quiet bedroom.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:00 am

Starting a new positive post after telling about my awful no good afternoon yesterday. :D

I need to get stuff straightened up for dcleaning lady - and a lot of the stuff is still down off the wall and standing around. So I'm going to try to a quick run through so she can clean as well as possible.

-straightening up
-breakfast
-meds
-get dressed, wash up, brush teeth
-li&t!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:14 am

hugs all
TY for the start Kathy.

no Martha Stewart act like here at all.

I'm pleased that I managed 3 meals today. Calls to dM and DSis E. And dd to say not today , for arriving at her place.
funeral. I was glad to have been there. I have no regrets of words unspoken to N. He had many folk he did talk to. Life was often difficult for him, I think. Accident was an accident, even if risks were taken. Small world witness report, first on the scene, workmate of a friend.
Connections. There are some more folk I could reach out to ... They reassure me of that.
And I must check out that coffee shops GF range after the breaks for Christmas and NewYear.

Posted calendars to dM and DBro. Big squares make them good for record keeping. DSis reassured me that with all the holidays, and the slow delivery times promised these days, It will be NYear most likely when they arrive. I still need to work out the posting of pearl earings bought at 70% off sale.
I think I miss todays post, though maybe there is a delay in box clearance and it does something tonight.

I still need to get something for dsis Christmas and birthday.
And pack. And take the things to wrap.
And get sleep tonight, Or I threaten myself with bus and train travel, and that means restrained packing if that happens. Christmas Eve is in an hour. DD is having feasting tomorrow, So I've promised to be there..

Happy preparations everyone.

I understand Twin's family, stretched too thin and easily stressed. Hugs Twins.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

helia

Postby helia » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:49 am

Great title, Cathy! When I read the title, I knew you had thought of it. I'm feeling pretty in control of where things need to be right now. I do need to do some shopping today and work on putting together a recipe book of the family recipes we've made with ds. He is supposed to do that, but we doubt he will. And I need to wrap a bunch of gifts.

Twins, I giggled at your first comment! Yes, I think it's safe to say that none of us here consider ourselves Martha Stewart.

Yes, Harriet, you're right about the drowning dog. It's hard to say if there was anything else the owners could have done. The ice extended about 30 feet into the river at that point. I still feel sad about it. I'm also very glad that was not a person in the water.

I kept saying "lake" at the park where I jog. Actually, it's a river. The path I jog on runs along the river for a couple miles, making for a pretty run. I don't know why I was saying lake.

I met all my goals yesterday except for finishing shopping for ds and dd21.

Today, I can concentrate on prep for Sinterklaas! Well, that and WW and tile shopping.

Big goals for today:
1. WW meeting
2. Finish shopping for ds and dd21
3. Go shopping for tile (kitchen backsplash and now our fireplace -- perhaps natural rock-like tile) with both dds
4. Go for a jog
5. Wrap gifts!

I'm off to s2s. I'll head otd to WW in about 25 minutes. I suspect I'll post a gain b/c I think the loss last week was not real.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:57 am

Good morning, villagers ~
Lots to do today. Tomorrow my family is gathering for pot luck soup supper at younger DSis's house an hour north. DH and I will stop to pick up DMom and DAunt on the way because neither of them wants to drive after dark. So far the weather forecast is ok for travel tomorrow.

Sorry for the long list but this is the easiest way for me to keep track of priorities.

Must do before bedtime tonight:
* Finish sewing Japanese knot bag for DSis
* Declutter and clean the kitchen counters
* Find the Christmas music CDs to play in the car tomorrow
* Scalloped potatoes and ham in the crock pot on low 8 hrs
* Make fudge
* Laundry for clothes we are wearing tomorrow
* Mend DH black pants
* Change sheets
* Local errands = post office, library to empty return box & feed the fish (library is closed today)
* Declutter back seat of my car

If there is time tonight, otherwise tomorrow morning:
* Wrap gifts for DMom and DSis
* Cut and package fudge
* Wipe out food carriers

Tomorrow morning:
* Brown ground beef with onion, put in crock pot with other nacho sauce ingredients (DSis requested that we bring the Rotel cheesy nacho sauce & tortilla chips so she can make a couple different soups.)
* Pack food carriers

We need to be in the car on the road tomorrow afternoon by 3:15.

Forecast for Christmas Day is freezing rain. That won't bother us, we'll be coming back home after supper Christmas Eve and staying home all Christmas Day. I may go to the library to feed the fish in the afternoon Sunday, but the children's librarian said he doesn't have to be fed every day if I can't get there.

The library is closed for the holiday until Tuesday morning. I'm off work for a full week. Good because I have plenty of projects I want to do at home. Bad because TPTB decided to discontinue giving part-time workers holiday pay. They won't let me work different days to make up my Monday hours, so my paycheck will be short. Fortunately, I don't need the $ to pay current bills, because I'll lose next Monday's hours as well for New Year's Day observance.

Right now I'm going to put dishes in the sink to soak and have a cup of coffee before I start the rest of the list. BBL.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:06 am

I'm done. Physically and mentally. Goodies were delivered to dh's work. Dh was surprised and thrilled with the Monkey bread. (2 cans of dough, from that ticklish doughboy, some sugar, some cinnamon, some walnut and raisins and brown sugar and butter...)

After I clean the kitchen, I think I will read or nap.

I have no idea what is for supper tonight.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:54 am

Well shoot! Twins has seen through my laptop's camera and knows I'm not really Martha Stewart!

I knew I should have covered it with a sticky note!

I'm up. This is to be my busiest day of the week and I'm still in my robe on the computer. Not good.

I haven't even cuop. I just wanted to needle Twins for blowing my cover.

I'm off to dab vanilla on the light bulbs now.

(Is that even a thing anymore, or do CFL bulbs not get hot enough to release the scent of the vanilla?)

(Now I'm just laughing at all those bulbs covered in vanilla that give off neither a lovely scent or light!)

Maybe I'll shower, instead.

Love you all!

Return to “Post When You Can”