Tree Down? Tuesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: Tree Down? Tuesday

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:03 pm

I take my tree down when the mood hits. Some years I want it gone. Some years (like last year) I wanted to leave it up forever. Usually by the 2nd week in January all is put away. I think it's the lights I like. Sometimes the outside lights take longer to get put away.

Now that I don't have a ton of decorations out, the extra clutter doesn't bother me, it's just the right amount and nothing in the way. This year I didn't even have to move the end tables around like I did the year we had a real tree and it was taller.

DH is out working and it is quiet here. I have done several chores. Mail is at the box, and I wrapped and packed DGSs birthday present for the 30th. Got that to the post office and on its way. I also wrote 2 thank you notes to the kids, DD2 for coming with food and gifts, and DD1 for the gift card and phone call we got. I got some big plans copied for DH while I was out.

Took some important mail we'd had for ex-tenants out to 2H and wrote on the envelopes "no longer at this address" and put the flag up for the post office. I wanted the company to get the mail back from that address and know they'd moved as it was important (school loan stuff).

While I did that I cleaned out the box, mostly ads and 2 from new insurance company for buyers :shock: which should have gone to their current address. It was their new policy and the bill...important stuff...so I called our agent, got no answer :roll: so I took it to buyer's agent. I really like this guy. He took one look at it and said, yes, very important, he would get it to them. I asked him if everything was going ok and he talked to me just as friendly and open as we do here, telling me what's happening, survey ordered, bank snafu figured out and corrected :o . Our agent tells us nothing!

I have loved reading about all your Christmas celebrations and get togethers. After all the work, I'm a bit sorry to see the holidays coming to a close.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:21 pm

quick hi ... I have to drive d kiddos to airport in one hour (makes me sad but happy for them)
d brother is taking d uncle to dr. on Thursday for me.

worked on bills and uncles papers.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Well, my tree will be up till we get back from New Orleans, that's for certain.
Y'all know I can't ask dmom, b/c neither of her two came down all year long. And she has decided if she wants to be eccentric and leave them up forever, well, she is old enough to do just that. Maybe dgs & dgd will remember that, just as Elvis sang, every day CAN be like Christmas -- at least at Great-Granny's house. LOL. The lights DO help cheer dmom during the cold, dreary, depressing months of winter.
After all the work, I'm a bit sorry to see the holidays coming to a close.

Yes.

I've been running errands today --
* grocery store
* two banks
* post office
* city hall
* hardware store
DH is doing towel laundry.

I have two -- maybe three gifts -- that I'd like to swap, but one was bought by dh on his out-of-town shopping trip, and it will be the end of February before we have a chance to go back there, sooo... if ddil can wear these jeans, she can have them. They are "curvy fit" and as dh noted, I am somewhat curvy... but as I told HIM, I don't especially want everyone to know it! They just fit waaay too tight on my hips & thighs. I definitely prefer RELAXED fit.
The other is a sweater from dniece, and I do not have the receipt, but I may try to exchange for a larger size in this also, b/c it fits just a tad too snuggly. I could wear it... but would not feel comfortable.
And last... from ds/ddil (but it will be ddil's feelings that get hurt if I swap) -- a sweater/poncho. I mean, it is a poncho, with sweater-type arms... in college team colors... but I am just NOT a poncho kind of girl. I just don't know... DH said it would be good to wear to cold weather ballgames when I might want a blanket, but this would save me taking one... but I know I will NOT get much wear out of it. * sheesh * I don't know what to do. I mean, she will notice if I never wear it, you know? Do any of you have anything like this? Am I missing out on a chance to really be fashion-forward for a change?

Speaking of college football -- dh was so stressed about not having aisle seats for Sugar Bowl, that now we have bought a second set on S tubhub and are going to sell the original set -- if we can! I have a former student who is supposed to let me know tomorrow night if she wants them. Another friend inquired, but hasn't responded since I texted her that I had to wait till tomorrow.
Tomorrow is another day.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:42 pm

I would wear the poncho a couple of times when you know she will see it being worn and then put it away in the back of a closet.

Dh and I went for a drive to see the light display in Niagara Falls again. All of the snow has been washed away from everywhere. There were tourists allll over the place in the Falls as well. One Italian restaurant had a line up outside.

Tree lights are not on. We do have a nice fire going in the fireplace.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:11 pm

I did a supply run between storms today, roads were good here this afternoon. I walked the dog just after lunch. went to look for water brush pens, no success. But I did find a pen with 6 ink colors I had been looking for since seot. Got the inspire Bible & insulin and a few things. Forgot tp however. Listening to the news lots of slide offs and wrecks bc of the snow and ice. We had a strange but tasty dinner soup from a can, store bakery dolls, home made baked sweet potatoe fries. It was good for me to get out of the house. my devo. Was on Eccl. A time for every thing a time to keep & a time to throw away. My version. Very timely as if was my day to clean my desk!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Lucylee: regarding the poncho, it sounds like that was a sweet thought on her part, something warm to wear that won't fall off if you stand up to do The Wave. That's assuming, of course, it is long enough to cover your bottom and thighs when seated. I had a really long one in the 70's that I kept forever because it covered me so well in the fall. Good luck with it, I know it can be awkward. You might keep it in the back seat of the car so you have it 'just in case' the temperature drops while you are out.

My day took a slight twist. Twice.

First, dh wanted to go to a movie and wanted to go with me. I didn't see anything I wanted to see but when he checked, he saw Storks and suggested that. I had decided No because it is now out on video but it is cheap Tuesday and it was the second run theatre so it only cost $7 plus popcorn. We really enjoyed it, especially after having dgs yesterday.

Then dh ran to the next theatre and watched Arrival while I wandered the attached indoor shopping mall. While doing that, ds texted and it was decided he'd join us for dinner.

So that was the second twist. He's just left. He did help us eat the meat pie so that was good and he took almost all the cake to work for the nurses. He has a short shift turnaround tonight/tomorrow. Gets off work at 7, back at 3. But he is off for the 30th and 31st so that means he'll be able to fully enjoy the visit with our guests.

Before the movie, I got the vacuuming done, the furniture all back in place and the bed stripped and remade. The sheets made it to the dryer before we left as well. When we got back I started the fine washables, and they are done now. So the apartment is coming along nicely.

Paperwork is not caught up though.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:17 pm

I've been updating and filling out calendars all evening. I use 3 -- purse, kitchen, and bathroom calendars. (Bathroom is mostly to track weight/exercise/hair color/etc., but that is where I do my main planning & where I keep my cardfile, so I put important events on it too.)

Question of the day:
How many members of the lucylee family does it take to install the latch on a storm door?
Answer:
Apparently three.
DH & I did nothing but get frustrated with each other. Screws simply would NOT line up. We asked ds to come over and look at it, and * ta da * -- mission accomplished.
Erma Bombeck said the handyman gene skips a generation. That is certainly true around here. :roll: :oops:
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”