Fresh Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Ramblinrose

Re: Fresh Friday

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 pm

LadyM...

I shared with my teacher friend your concerns about DS8 and the first question she asked me was if he was on meds. I said no, and she also said meds can start tics.

However she was very encouraging concerning the controlling of tics. I love this woman because she always finds ways to answer my questions in ways I understand and that allows me to help other people.

She explained tics this way. They occur and are like sneezes. If you know the symptoms then you know they are coming. Trying to hold a sneeze in is hard and releasing them makes you feel good. She says DS8 knows then the tics will happen but hasn't identify the before feelings yet. She said it may be his face starts to feel hot or it begins to itch ever so slightly. Once DS8 can identify the symptoms and explain them to you, with therapy there are ways to control them. That's what she is so good at with her students.

She says it does take time, but once taught the tics can diminish or stop. She also said the tics develop when there is internal emotional struggle within the person. She suggested you observe DS8 while he is doing computer work and is concentrating and focused on what he is doing. She said it is a good sign if his tics become noticeably less during this time.

She also wanted me to tell you that tics are a way for a person to release internal stree like that sneeze and is why they occur when he is in public.

My friend is so wonderful with students like yours ds. We special ed teachers don't see kids with labels. We see kids who have the ability to succeed, the "labels" just help us to understand what strategies work when teaching them.

Many many of our kids go on to have a very fulfilling life. My friend just told me one of the kids we shared teaching just contact her to say hi. He is now married with a son and is working in the TX oil fields driving a truck. He is making great money and to be honest has far exceeded our expectations. I have many stories about my kids being successful. One of my asperger girls would get lost in the downstairs part of our school. She couldn't figure her way up the stairs. Today she has a full time job and this spring she will graduate college as a special ed teacher. It took her seven years to get through her schooling , starting with community college, but in the end she is going to have the job she's always dreamed of. Doesn't get any better than that... and oh by the way in 7th grade she had a very "tic" sounding voice, but she learned to over come that as well :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:54 pm

Awe (((Group Hug))) Thank you for being so understanding and supportive when I come here and talk through my thoughts. I just gotta get through this and get some thicker skin. DS8 was asked today by his Great Grandmother "What's wrong with you?" He answered, "I have tics". She said, "Well, you need to stop doing that." Talking to my DMom doesn't do any good. She told DS8 a couple weeks ago that he was "fat and needed to lose some weight." She has no filter and accepts no correction. Just gotta love her, try to limit her damage, and go on.

I was also told this week that the tics would go away if we would just give cannabis to DS8. Everyone has an opinion. But now I find myself juggling the pro/cons of every suggestion. Would it really work?

Part of my feels bad talking it out here. The other part of me feels this is my safe place to come to and just be.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:47 pm

(((LadyM))) I have always thought that you are an awesome woman!! You have become even more awesome the longer I have known you.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:57 pm

I'd agree you can just "be" here, LadyM. Much of what Ramblin' said sounds very optimistic and makes sense. Time passes, things change, people do move on from many problems, especially youngsters. I would be giving dirty looks in stores, myself.

Now ds is sick - stomach. And of course whatever it is, his children and ddil are exposed. Oh, dear. For the first time ever, I will be attending dfirstinlaw party without either of my late dh's children. Ds stayed on the phone with me a long time, going through everything he takes preventative-ly, and everything I do. Also considering a litany of "helps" I might have here, from crackers to over-the-counters. Ddil has already gone out and bought every child at that party a gift - 10 like me - and I didn't know. I wish she hadn't felt she had to do this. I don't know what she's done but each is the same. Dd18 will be picking those up from them in the morning.

I wish Mr. Harmony could stay off that ankle! I remember hearing about the screws.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:24 pm

LadyM.... one of medical wonders of cannibus is it helps kids with sever seizures. Many parents moved to CO once it became legal for that reasons. Make sense to me that it would help people with tics. You can google it.

Good for DS8. Maybe in time he can education your mom thinking with his attitude. :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:02 pm

I have cleaned up after dinner tky. San. dishwasher is going. I cleared snow and then walked the dog on my route the sun ca e out it was great. Tonight it is cold and has iced up again winter weather advisory up Sat. Nite. I hope it holds off.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Happy Birthday Twins Dad and Ken

Plastic does like to 'off gas' so the smell won't last forever if you can air it. I'd go for bi carbonate of soda over the artificial. vanilla or vinegar would work too I think. If its still off gassing you would need to repeat.
I'm glad the dryer worked well.

Twins - I had a reaction to a medication that caused both musical hallucinations and a worse nightmare tripping as well. I knew it was not real, but it was a nightmare to put up with. Prayers for you dM to become more settled.

re cannabis oil - its not the street cannabis being used to medicate .. GL with your research LadyM.

Washing is on the line.
I though dsis was coming today, but she has opted for tomorrow. Not sure what will be open besides maccas. That is my stop gap place for the grilled chicken salad if nothing else is open.. There may ne a chinese place open I think.
Wonder if she has thought about the traffic leaving the music festival. and the beach. I'd think there will be a slow crawl home much of the way.

I want to restart checklists. bought some smaller, hard cover, spiral books to try from the Japanese store.
The day to get them set up is today. I'm thinking of making a theme for a page, and recording related items there. A variation of when I was using coloured pages to record successes for my goals.

Also want to get to chem ist ware house for a thing that does the netti pot job. DD1 is having success with that. I think I'll hate it, but I hate how my sinuses are too, so maybe we can reach a truce.
Maybe also ask about food stores open tomorrow.
Its hot - 36 = 96 inside. Worse heat is coming. Do I want to be tramping around the town?

waving to Nancy posting above me.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”