FINISHING UP FRIDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: FINISHING UP FRIDAY

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:17 pm

DBro and I spent 15 minutes on the phone planning the logistics for the family gathering tomorrow. I do believe we are driving DSis a bit crazy by leaving details unplanned so close to the event. These family gatherings always work out. They aren't perfect but it is about being together. We are expecting 40-50 to attend. ANYways, we now have the bare basics of a plan developed -
** We are meeting in DNephew shop building (40'x60').
** DBro will get 3 free standing propane heaters in the morning and the building should be toasty warm by afternoon (we hope).
** Chairs - I'll bring half dozen lawn chairs and put on FB family page to BYOC (bring your own chair)
** Food is potluck and we ALWAYS have way too much.
** Plates, bowls, napkins and silverware......I have all that on hand. I'll load it all up and bring it.
** Tables for food - There are 4 available. DBro will bring another one and I'll bring a couple more.
** Drinks - DBro and I will both bring a case of water. Most family members bring their own drinks (Yeti cups).
** I'll bring basketballs (there are inside basketball goals) to keep the kids busy.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:27 pm

My kids work with me in the kitchen starting when they were old enough to be safe. Our two oldest kids are AWESOME cooks (much better than me). DS8 is learning. He helped me make dinner tonight. He l-o-v-e-s to help. He got the pizza's out of the refrigerator and put them in the oven. While the pizzas were baking, we made an apple, raisin, nut, oatmeal dessert together. I took the pizzas out when they were done and put the dessert in the oven. DH cleans up and does the dishes.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:05 pm

I took kidN home hef bro was ill & I wanted to get to the store before the next round if snow storms hit. Came home h said dson had called for us to look at the new spray truck he is building for his own pest control business.
Dinner is done. Got to use my $ from h for Christmas used it on art supplies. :mrgreen:

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:10 am

I think I was always free to help myself to snacks. Until I was around 12-13, my dmom was a stay-at-home mom and she cooked a LOT, lots of homemade cakes/pies/cookies/etc. And of course, I was the only child until I was almost 10, so there wasn't a lot of competition for the snacks, like Harriet was talking about.
DS was free to eat whatever he wanted, within reason. DH has always been pretty diligent about only buying groceries once a week, so when it's gone, it's gone.
Tomorrow is another day.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:45 am

Thank you so much for your input to my question. I appreciate each of you taking the time to answer it.

Dd1 and dgs22 came over and played F arkel for a while tonight. Her dh had some work friends over for a beer and gab session. Then dd2 and dgd20 stopped by. Dgs12 is playing basketball and tomorrow at practice they needed donors for a fundraiser. You could either pay by the basket or a lump sum. I decided to go the lump sum route and they stopped by to get the check. I told dd2 that I had been thinking about her childhood this afternoon and remembered that every time she finished lunch or supper, she would say "dessert" and wouldn't leave the table until a cookie or piece of fruit had been given to complete her meal. She laughed and agreed, that indeed was true.

I have carried up some of the R ubbermaid storage containers for the ornaments, so hopefully tomorrow I can get started on that.

Dh grouted half the walls surrounding the tub today and will finish tomorrow. Since the tile is beviled, it makes it harder to grout but it sure looks nice. The guy who built the house put the toilet several inches further away from the wall than he should have. He ended up putting a wooden box behind the toilet on the wall to keep someone from leaning back and breaking the toilet. We don't want to do that so we will buy a one piece toilet and it should be sturdy enough to not break, in case someone leans back. No more people than will be using it, it shouldn't be a problem. They don't sell them locally so it will need to be ordered.

Guess I better head to bed.

Oh I meant to say that when I styled my hair today, it looked fine, so dgd20 did a good job.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:50 am

Hi everyone! I am up much later than I wanted to be. I have obtained groceries, paid bills, eaten dinner, run dishwasher and a LOL, and given cats food, water, and meds. I have also almost caught up on emails. There were 217 and now there are 52. Everything took longer because there is big discrepancy in my checkbook. I recorded a check for $80 and the bank's image confirms this. I was debited for $20. The question is: was the payee given $20 or $80? If the former, I owe them $60, if the latter I owe the bank. Unless the bank has suddenly decided to pay for DD14's guitar lessons, I owe somebody!

Here is what is left to do: catboxes, bring in cat crates, fix breakfast.

I was always encouraged to take care of myself when I could, possibly because I got a brother when I was 4 and it helped my mother for me to be self-sufficient. I remember climbing on counters to get plates and glasses. When 2nd brother arrived, I could get stuff for the 3yo and myself. Of course, there was very little junk to overindulge in.

Return to “Post When You Can”