Saturday Seasonal Situations

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Saturday Seasonal Situations

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:15 am

Hi, everybody.

I know there's a world out there. I left it RIGHT THERE yesterday. :lol:

Joining the many villagers who were already under a snow blanket.

It's still coming down, so my seasonal situation is ...

snowed in! Hmmm... .. this could be a good thing!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Saturday Seasonal Situations

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:55 am

Enjoy it, Harriet. Snowstorms are a chance to shut down and just be. Take a breath and enjoy the excuse to have a sabbath.

I, of course, have had far too many of these this winter. Today is bitter cold and there was fog last night so all the trees are covered in hoar frost. It is beautiful now that the sun has come out. I think our next snowstorm is on Monday. Hope it isn't tomorrow, we have the drive out to the retirement home in the afternoon.

I let my computer run overnight trying to do updates. It couldn't even figure out what updates were needed so I rebooted this morning and tried again. No quick luck, so I googled and downloaded the updated update-checker separately and installed that on its own. Rebooted and started the process again and this time I'm having success. Dh spent about 3 days in December struggling with this as well. Looks like I'll get things working in under a day. Woot!

There was nothing wrong with my computer so I hated to do the updates. I'm sorry but I don't trust the big companies to not break what is already working. But as my computer slows down and I get more and more warnings about out of date software, I eventually break down. Speaking of out of date software, dh is still running software from the 1990s on his computer. He still hasn't found anything new that offers the same features as this, now unsupported, software.

Dsil just called on skype to show us a very happy dgs. That was nice of him. It was good to see dsg sooooo smiley. Part of me worries that he's so happy in front of a screen, though.

It is now 20 minutes after I started this post and the updates are still being installed. I'm only 11/25 of the way done so will have breakfast and then check the number. Apparently there are two issues - not being able to get the updater to list which updates are available and the updater stalling while installing. Sigh... this is far too complicated for my taste.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:06 am

Would be way too complicated for me then, Kathryn, if it's already complicated for you. :roll:

JUST VENTING: I will be so glad to have these reports done!!!! :| :roll: :( ;) :shock: :? But first I have to RECEIVE THEM! ARRRRGGGHHH! I have today, Sunday (1/2 day), Monday, and Tuesday (1/2 day).There's a lot to doing this and I'm not liking feeling this nervous about it. Next year we're going to have to do something DIFFERENT -not sure what that is though. The old adage of "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." Congregation was told very specifically last Sunday that I had to have them by last Monday. That only happened with one and I even got a request from the organist (who was obviously there) about "When are they due? I forgot." Now off to change my attitude.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 am

I like that d harriet....
I know there's a world out there. I left it RIGHT THERE yesterday. :lol:
started my morning out right! smiling as I start my day.

Good for you on your computer updates d kathryn. Woot woot!

wishing that all the reports will be done and easier than they appear d dee

hello all!!!!

had a sore throat last night which means ta ta ta da... I am getting a cold. 8-)
Yesterday I spent more time a d uncles than I had planned. The gentleman we have now doesn't speak english (barely getting by) - very nice but with his meds I can see this isn't going to work. Hospice nurse called me and was concerned that d uncle won't get the care he needs because caregiver did not understand the instructions

I have to go over there to take the man shopping as he didn't have clean cloths yesterday... and he just got there??? We have called the agency and they don't have anyone at this time.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:31 am

Wow, blessed, that does sound like a problem. Last week I had of all things a visit from the local J.Witness people who come to the door and it was worse than usual, this couple had a Spanish guy who didn't speak English! Now why would they send somebody out like that? This is not a particularly heavily populated spanish area!

We do not have snow, of course, but it is getting darker by the minute. Just NO sun. And it is raining. Yesterday it was so beautiful we kept saying it was hard to believe we'd be getting this rain today. I did not want to crawl out of bed today. Still in my PJ's.

Sent DH down to the bank, now he's at the grocery store. He gets so bored with nothing to do so instead of rushing to get dressed I asked him. He is happier out running around.

Need to catch the mail lady today.

Hoping it is a good day for the Lucylees and blessed's family and Dee and Norma's DH. Kathryn, sure glad it's not me with the computer stuff. Presently we have an outdated flash the browser keeps blocking. :roll:

helia

Postby helia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:35 am

Hello all! We lost our snow blanket, but we have a new very thin one. Not much snow expected here until Tuesday, I think. It is pretty cold, normal January cold, though. It will get up to 17* today, at which point I'm aiming to go for my jog.

Main Goals for today:
1. Groc. store -- menu plan and list, go to the store, put everything away. I need to hear from dd21 what she wants for her (late) bd dinner tomorrow night.
2. Laundry
3. Jog -- 4.5 or 5 miles, depending on how comfy I am in the cold for that long. I think I'll be fine.
4. Good progress on moms group teaching. Some more reading and a revised plan.
5. Small group in the evening -- bake brownies this afternoon, attend the meeting 5 - 9-ish.
6. Wrap gifts for both Cmas with the C family (R, S, and tot J) AND dd21's birthday, both which we are celebrating tomorrow.

I think that should keep me busy for the day. There might be some other smaller things I get to. We'll see. . .

First, I'm going to feed these starving neglected canines who are staring at me so pathetically.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:57 am

Snow missed us almost entirely. Very, very slight dusting that is evaporating as the sun hits it. Temp is 21 degrees, feels like 9 degrees. Dh is sniffling like he's getting a cold and is ensconced in front of the TV. I might get out and go on to the library later. There are some slick roads and more snow in the county just east of here.

Dkids making a mess in my kitchen and bickering. Might be good to get out of here.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Updates were successful. You all probably just let the updates happen automatically so you never get your systems so out of date that they hiccup.

I removed iTunes (used to use it to download podcasts but have a podcast program for that now.) And another program that ran in the background all the time telling me to get up from the computer. It wasn't working for me, I'd never get up! I updated Java and one other program so hopefully things will not give me warnings for a few days.

It took 3 tries to get Chrome to open, not sure why, probably a problem with my finger slipping while clicking but for a moment I wondered if it needed iTunes to work (I'm obviously overtired!)

A neighbour, J, dropped in with two sets of bad news. Another resident who has been acting erratically is now in the hospital with a brain tumor. J had thought that might be an explanation for the behaviour and was working hard at getting her to a doctor but it finally took her falling and a trip by ambulance to get the diagnosis. At least she's in the hospital now. Makes me wonder if she's the one pulling the fire alarm (she's from the adjoining building.) We'll see if the alarms stop, haven't had one since around Dec. 15.

J just had prostate cancer surgery and it turns out his prognosis is bad since it had spread. He has to wait a month to see how bad and then start hormone therapy. The results of the biopsy say it is an aggressive form of cancer. J is the one we took to the hospital in the middle of the night.

That news plus a member from our refugee in hospital awaiting tests makes for bad news on this front.

I've just finished my cereal and will get to work on the sermon now. Just editing left to be done. Dh will eventually want a walk to the store. We are completely out of milk except enough for his breakfast.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Posting from exercise bike. H has a bit of nose cold. I made cookies for lunches & and deviled eggs yesterday. Made biscuits from a can today working on improving the wreath shape it was better. Did not get a photo of this one. Snow advisory tonite and 24 hrs. After that. Love having new art supplies to use now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:42 pm

((Dee)) I'm taking it that the announcement wasn't in writing? Just mentioned during the service, many who had responsibility at the time would miss it. (Not really an excuse, since I'm sure they know what time of year it is, but having it in writing would help.) Could you ask someone in leadership to help you with this by calling or something?

((blessed)) I hope you are able to get different help soon. Communication is so vital.

((Kathryn and building friends))

Dd18 really had felt she should get back to school and be prepared for the Monday start to classes. But now that decision doesn't look so ... comfortable. She's kinda holed up in her room alone, and the building is chilly, with no paths yet made to the "village". She will get there more easily than most of her friends, who are in dorms beyond a long walking bridge over a creek, which is pure ice right now. I told her to remember that heat rises and so consider going to her building's upper stories' tv/rec rooms to find some upholstered furniture, rather than just her level's space. She's good at making friends, so she'll be fine running into new people, I'm sure. As usual, her lower story bathroom area is toasty, with quick hot water, she says. (Upper stories complain about their cold water!)

Return to “Post When You Can”