Winter Wonderland Wed.

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Winter Wonderland Wed.

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:04 pm

The situation with NF11 is complicated by the fact that she was so young when the bombs started falling. For over half her life, her life has been in turmoil. She doesn't have the base of security that her parents and older sister have; a strong memory of 'life before'. Unsettledness is all she has ever known.

So we have to build security for her. Not rebuild it, but build it for the first time. SHEs like LadyM understand the challenge that will be. Especially difficult for me because I'm only an 'aunt', I'm not there all the time, nor can I communicate well with her. But I feel she's been 'given' to me by God so I'll muddle through with her family, the committee and the support services through the school and refugee support agencies.

She has only been here for 15.5 weeks. We have to remember that as well.

I don't think I've done anything since my last post. At the very least, the clothes need to go from the washer to the dryer.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Slow and steady progress.
** Breakfast made (omelet with vegetables)
** Morning pages completed
** Devotion and Bible story with DS8
** DS8 is working on Teaching Textbook lesson - Subtraction in word problems.
** I am just finished changing the Music curriculum for the rest of the year and printing it out. I made the decision to switch from studying Ancient History to Geography. The science, music, art and health lessons match up with the history cirruclum so it is like a domino effect with this switch. One change means setting up 5 new lesson plans.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 pm

The weather forecast has changed for here. Instead of snow, they are saying sleet, freezing rain and then snow Monday. Anytime we get freezing rain or sleet, we end up without power. Several different weather sources are conflicted when this will start, either Friday but most say Saturday. In the past we have talked of getting a generator but haven't done anything. Dh came up with the idea to bring the motorhome home. It has a generator and we could at least have power for his Keurig and be able to cook. The heater quit working when we camped last time and the guy didn't have time to look at it. We have 2 portable heaters that we could use. If we do bring it home, we plan to not use the faucets or toilet, because it would then have to be winterized again. I am all for bringing it home, because maybe if we are prepared with a backup plan, we won't need it.

So I need to get that tree undecorated and down, now. Then I need to run a quick errand after a shower, so I can clean house. Tomorrow I will go buy groceries and then plan to stay put for the duration.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:36 pm

I have water for steam and mousture going now. One more small trail to clear. Hubby went to work said they needed product he has not called so must have found something to do. Snow needs removed again from winds blowing it around.

I did more sketching, thinking about spinning up some wool.
Tree is lit is brightens up the day.
Lilac yea for back up planning.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Good morning all! I had a meeting I did not know about at 8 am! Fortunately the conference room is across the hall from my office and I figured it out. Was able to make a decent contribution. Found out user acceptance testing ends this week so I MUST get that federal report done. It is on track. As predicted, Girls' Night Out was math homework and Chinese food. I did not get the animal org meeting minutes and notes clarification done. I will mention it at the meeting tonight and tell them it will be coming shortly. Did a LOL and had to change bedding due to sick cat again. Bleah. Financial research in progress. I could not order the book online and pick it up at the local bookstore, so will have to call about that today. I did check my email and send the schedule revision to the guitar teacher. Must also call friend. Dreading the animal org meeting tonight.

I will happily send blessedw2 all the snow and ice expected this weekend. I hate snow. I would like it ok if it were not cold.

Congratulations to Harmony on the sale of H2! That will take loads of your to do list.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Just realized I haven't posted yet today. I've been busy at the computer wrapping up annual report things. Deacons had to change their report. I've had phone calls back and forth regarding the same. Then I had several letters that needed to get out that I was 'procrastinating' on. They're gone! (Easily get to the mail box here -no winter wonderland thankfully).

Now I'm going to delve into real housework and go do the dishes. Dh is defrosting the fridge in our room. (Badly in need of such I must say.)

Wrote a letter to my education caretaker at the Dr's office this morning and got that off. Need some questions answered and a reply with a different lab requisition before I go there later this month.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Oy, dh and his cold are home today. I know he feels bad, but he's grumpy and unappreciative too. And driving me crazy.

Today is errand day, so I need to get going. I was up around six a.m. and got back in bed at 8:30 - rainy dark morning, then dh came back home. He also had a guy coming in to look at the water heater that froze up over the weekend also.

I went down a rabbit hole - half listening to press conference, half researching. Need to get moving!

-brush teeth
-update grocery list
-make the bed

off I go....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Lilac: bringing the motorhome to your place is a very good idea. Just don't forget to get fuel!

As for the rest of you, two survival tips from ice storm experience:

1. I believe all of you own generators. You don't think of them as such, you think of them as automobiles, but they have a way of generating power. At least enough to recharge a cell phone, but also heat if you are desperate.

2. If you own a tent and are without heat, set the tent up in your warmest room and sleep in it. Your body(ies) will heat it up to make it warm enough to sleep comfortably.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Dh finally got off his calls so I could walk over to the store. I dropped his book at the bookmobile on the way and picked up the loss-leaders I needed to get price matched today, plus carrots (6 lbs) and a popcorn popper. The last item should have waited until I had a car. The other items couldn't wait due to sales/loyalty point deals.

Anyway, it was a very long walk back with the weight of the backpack plus a full cloth bag plus the small & light but awkward popper popper in my arms. I'm already regretting this. Oh, and I'm only half way to my step minimum for the day (and missed yesterday by half.) The walking is awful but the weather is lovely, 40* and sunny. But the water, ice, slush, and snow clearing blocking paths makes it not pleasant.

Next up: start the stew and then make myself something for my lunch.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Taking a break for lunch.

Increasing DS8 meds has the same side effects that he had the first 2 days he started taking it. Very tired, agitated & easily defeated. I am having to spoon fed him the lessons. When he gets overwhelmed, I am writing the problem on the board and then he solves it. Doing this allows him to focus on one problem at a time. I would skip today if it wouldn't send him the wrong message......if you're in a bad mood, then you don't have to do your work.

We have finished -
** PE/Health
** Art
** Mathisfun.com subtraction trainer
** written subtraction test he takes every week.
** two cursive writing lessons

I am using a carrot this week (a nice way of saying bribery). Monster Truck movie comes out on Friday. I told DS8 if he tries his best this week we will finish school on Friday by going to see the movie.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”