Winter Wonderland Wed.

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Winter Wonderland Wed.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 am

I got a title for us today. Shoveling rounds one & two done with the drive way & out to the coop. We will have cold weather all week no warming trend here. Blowing snow ack! 1 - 80 closed from Colfax where dgds 1&2 live to Nevada state line.
I need to get some tky & veg. out of the freezer for crock pot soup.
Duck duck goose game trailes cleared in back yd.
Snow plow just put out gravel on our street.
School on 2 hrs delay dgd #3 will be here in a bit.
Sketch before breakfast done!
I have a list.
Be back in a bit.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 8 times in total.

blessedw2

Re: Winter wonderland Wed.

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:45 am

No winter wonderland here.. and I am sad about that - I want snow and love snow! (not ice mind you)

Wishing you all a safe and wonderful day.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Re: Winter Wonderland Wed.

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 am

Good Morning!

We don't have any snow or ice on the ground. I'm perfectly okay with that!

I am so very thankful to continue to feel better. The coughing & congestion are greatly reduced. Last night was the first night in a month that I didn't need cough/congestion meds. I slept like a baby and woke up ready to get going.

Today is Homeschool day #106. We have a full lesson plan that will take about 6 hands-on hours to do.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Re: Winter wonderland Wed.

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 am

today will be a difficult day for uncles caretaker. Unfortunately I have to let him go, he is such a nice man, but is a danger because he barely, if any, speaks english or use the phone or computer (so google translate doesn't work either) I have had to go there multiple times for uncles meds and so many other issues. Yesterday I got to uncles and he was writhing in pain because he hadn't had his morphine. The new man is coming at 3 so I will have to be with uncle most of the day. I had to be there most of the day yesterday. Hoping new man is better. If uncle remains at status quo I will pick up a camera for the house. My brother and I hired a new from a new agency.

dh is coming with me and then I will drive old care taker to the bus (he lives far from here) but will give him something. He is a lovely man but I do have to think about safety and for my own health. Yesterday I was at uncles most of the day but did have a nice visit with brother.

So happy you are starting to feel better!!! d lady
D Nancy I can't wait to hear what your day has in store.

time for s2s, laundry one load, dishes and counters

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:06 am

We have snow but the temps went up above freezing last night so everything is melting. Ds said the puddle at the foot of our driveway splashed up onto his windshield it was so deep. If he was in the low-profile Z3 that wouldn't be impressive but he's in the high Suburu Outback (like a small SUV).

He slipped in and we only heard the bedroom door click shut even though we were awake in our room (but still in bed.) I got up and wished him a good morning and he came out and we had a big breakfast. I'm stuffed now. We talked about lots of stuff over breakfast.

He's sleeping here because it is fire alarm test day at his building. Last time he did that we had a false alarm here! I've invited him to stay for dinner since it is stew tonight. I'll get that started in a crock pot soon.

I still need to s2s but have had breakfast and tea and chocolate (in that order.) Kitchen is cleaned up and the dishwasher is waiting for dh's porridge bowl then I'll run it.

Not sure what my goals for today are but I have a meeting at the school regarding NF11 at 3 p.m. She is not progressing with English because there's no proper ESL class at the school, therefore has no friends (the few Arabic speakers are East African, not Middle Eastern so are shunning her) and is unhappy with school so feigning illness to stay home. It is time for an intervention because we need Mom to learn English and she has to give up her ESL on days that NF11 is 'sick.'

Solution 1: on sick days I bring her here. She'll be allowed to watch English children's TV and movies but not allowed online. Currently at home she spends her time watching Arabic YouTube and now Arabic TV because her parents have bought an attachment for the computer that streams Arabic language TV stations. If she suddenly 'improves' then I'll take her shopping and we'll do a variation of the vocabulary walks that dh does with her Dad. I'll write the word in English, she'll write it in Arabic and we'll build her own dictionary.

Solution 2: I volunteer in the class or doing yard duty and serve as a bridge between her and the other children as far as playground games go.

Solution 3: we find an after school programs for her. This is trickier but will have to be done once the parents start work so perhaps sooner is better than later.

Yes, both the first two involve my time but I feel called to do this so it isn't an imposition. Her sister is integrating nicely, her father is as well. Mother needs some work too but is getting there and there are 7 other women on the committee to help her. They are also trying to help NF11 but she hasn't really bonded with any of them. Not sure she's bonded with me either, but I have with her.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 am

No winter wonderland here either!!

Hi everyone!

We had really strong winds last night. No snow. No ice. It's 2 Celcius here and very sunny.

Dh wants a simple supper, like grilled cheese and soup. I bought a lot of sliced cheese yesterday, and he wants to use some of it.

I have a stitch group this morning. I also want to go to a bank and take care of a credit card. Hopefully that bill will disappear within another month.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

bittersweet

Postby bittersweet » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 am

We have snow and ice aplenty here! It snowed lightly for a good part of yesterday, and was blowing hard, too. While this can make for some very artistic snowdrifts and sculptures, it also makes it very cold!! We are beginning to warm up a bit now, though, and should be above freezing by Sunday :D

It's a non-payroll day here, which - unfortunately - does NOT mean a day off *sigh* I have a ton of housework to get done, some project work, homework ... stacks of homework...and I'm sure I'll be fielding several calls from dMum (if not actually going over there to clear her sidewalk, steps, and driveway of the snow that fell/blew yesterday, and completely ruined the lovely job dson did on Sunday. :roll:

I think I'll start by getting my daily cards done. There are fourteen of them, some of which take only a couple of minutes, so i'll split them into two groups.

First up:

- pull meat for supper
- hang up coats/put away shoes
- tidy living room
- gather upstairs trash and dishes
- wash dishes (there's a lot, so this may take a couple of rounds to get finished)
- wipe counters and stove
- gather dirty laundry

First, I need to give dSniffany her meds, let Mr. Annoying Tommy Troublemaker out to pee AGAIN... and then get started.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:51 am

No carrots!

Can't start stew. Have left message to be called back by settlement worker and dh has a conference call in minutes. Yikes!

I can wait until later and cook it on the stove top instead of crock pot, so may do that.

I am s2s now, though, so there's been progress.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:01 am

I will pray for nf 11 d kathryn!!! Also how nice to have your ds stay with you!
have fun at stitch group d cathy
d b is sweet it has been so lovely having you here

wishing each of you a really wonderful day.

time for cards, call d mom as reminder that she has a heart appointment today (I asked dd younger to go with her)

Dove

Postby Dove » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:09 am

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY to dLynlee! :)

Good morning. I'm sipping a mug of hot cocoa & enjoying our mini heat wave. It's in the high 30s instead of the teens & 20s that we shivered through this past week. Still some snow on the ground but thankfully no ice. I'm also procrastinating. Lots of housework needs to be done today since I let my routines slip. Must at least vacuum, change sheets, wash towels & clean bathrooms. No dinner planned as dh & I are heading in different directions tonight so we are each on our own for dinner.

Hi Nancy, sorry you have all the snow & cold this week. Soup sounds yummy.

I'm sorry the first caretaker didn't work out, Blessed. Fingers crossed that replacement is excellent.

So glad to hear you are feeling better, LadyM! :D

Your solutions to help NF11 sound good, Kathryn. I feel sad for her that she is unhappy at school. So many big changes in her young life to adjust to.

Hi Cathy, grilled cheese sounds good for an easy dinner for me tonight. Thanks for the idea :)

Joining you in getting housework done today, Bittersweet. I love the name of your dog Sniffany! I smile every time I see it :)

Cocoa is done, vacuum cleaner is calling my name. Be back later to cuop around here as a reward for getting my work done.

Waving ~~~ to everyone & all who stop by later. Have a wonderful day!

Return to “Post When You Can”