Thriving Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Thriving Thursday

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Home from skating. That was a fun 3 hours. I sat with 3 other Mom's and visited while we watched the kids roller skate.

Our temperature is above freezing and there is no moisture falling. However, almost every place has already declared they are closed tomorrow. Schools, businesses, and even the military base have already announced they are closed. Our governor has already declared our state in emergency status. The grocery store and gas stations were gridlocked this afternoon with so many people there trying to get prepared. The moisture is supposed to start in about 4 hours and continue until Monday. They are predicting ice...lots and lots of ice.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:55 pm

I had my alarm set for 7 am but woke up at 5:58 am and hit the ground running. If I could do that everyday, the house would be amazing at all times and I would need very little insulin.

The bug guy (dgd20s bf) was here on time. After he left I hit the grocery store and picked up tobacco and tubes for dh. Ate a quick lunch and went to Hobby Lobby and WM. Dgs12 had a basketball game at 3:30. At 3 dd2 called and said they had changed it to 4:30. So I had a whole hour plus to unwind. I met dd2, dgs11 and dgd7 at the basketball game. Dgd5 was at gymnastics. At 5:05 I left the game with dg7. Her gymnastics started at 5:15, when dgd5s ended. I took dgd5 home and waited for dd2 to get there. When I picked up dgd5, she ran to me and hugged me, then she told me that I was the best grandmother in the whole wide world. I could have cried because to her, I am. It is moments like this that are so priceless to me.

I didn't tell dgd5 but I had already planned to make banana bread tomorrow. She had been asking me to make it and so now she will be surprised.

I have been to the grocery store and WM, each twice this week plus Sam's. With this approaching ice storm, I am almost panicking about food. Since we will have the motorhome here and I could at least cook, I didn't buy bread because I wasn't out. I figure we will have leftovers to reheat in the microwave, so why depend on sandwiches. Then dd2 calls and asks if I had talked to dd1. I hadn't. She went to the grocery store and she said you would think there was an apocalypse coming. The store was packed and there was no bottled water. So dd1 had went to the convenience store to buy water. I hadn't thought to buy more water. We use the water out of the ice dispenser for drinking water and the Keurig. Duh, I wasn't thinking no electricity, no water out of the fridge. So when we go to pick up the motorhome, I will stop at the WM grocery store and hope to get at least jugs of water. Dh thinks I am whacko and keeps reminding me that this ice storm won't last forever. I also need to buy a bag of ice.

They are saying this will start around 6 pm tomorrow. I so hope they are wrong and we don't get the heavy icing that they are predicting. I would take lots of snow over ice.

Dh grouted the bathroom floor today. He has a small section left to finish tomorrow. It looks beautiful. He was commenting that he only has 17 days left until our anniversary. I told him to quit sweating it, it will be done, when there is nothing left to do. Everything seems to take longer than we expect. After tomorrow, we could start painting the cabinets and vanity, but if we don't have power, we won't be doing painting.

I still have 2 books to read, so if we have no power I will read and try to keep warm.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 pm

LadyM, I hope all these forecasters are wrong, wrong and wrong. But we both know they can hit it on the head, the majority of time for the big stuff.

We don't have a skating rink anymore and I think that is a shame. It is such good exercise and just plain fun.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 am

Lilac - I agree! I just watched videos showing a long line of electrical line repair trucks traveling in convoy fashion to our state in anticipation of the damage expected from the ice storm. Nothing has happened yet. What if the weather men are wrong?
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:19 am

Lilac and LadyM, I am thinking of your families in coming tough weather. Both of you are bright and thinking all the time. You'll do well. Try to smile at yourselves if you did forget something. Substitute for it the best you can and be happy to know it won't be forgotten in the future because you'll have learned. Like Lilac's dh says, whatever the weather it only lasts so long.

We are oddly in a warmer trend now. It is slowly melting our snow. Not just terrific or anything, because the wind was wild :shock: today at times and I was protecting this one vulnerable ear a lot. HRH was parking at buildings on the side away from the cold wind to try to help me.

I am cold now because I am S2Slippers. I realize I probably won't sleep cold tonight. It's just because I'm in light clothing.

Lynlee, somewhat comforting to think of you on your porch, fanning yourself and hoping for a breeze. Changing gears to wish you cooler temps!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 am

I hope the weather forecasters are wrong but the only way they were wrong was that the thaw they said would come did not, Portland got 12" - 18" of snow that they missed so you are smart to be getting supplies ahead.

It is 20* out here tonight 18* is our forcast low.
Had dinner, spiffed the kitchen up.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:01 am

Hot again - tomorrow is expected to be worse. 38c 100.4f inside here today. I am no action, though did put away some washing
later
Some tossing from various places around the house. easy stuff. but its sat their waiting for it's moment in the bin.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”