Thriving Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thriving Thursday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Not thriving or even moving here. I'm s2s though and have food.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:12 pm

I am glad you were able to have some lunch d kathryn - I liked what you said about literacy

Yes I feel the same way about the clutter and disorganization d harmony... I can't focus when things are out of sorts - good luck on paperwork

d elizabeth .. yay on your inventory calculations d elizabeth ... wishing discrepancy fixes itself fast

hi d dee yay on numbers going down after holidays

hi d lucy

hi d helia

hi d nancy

hi d harriet - you have so many positive traits... I like that you put down optimism, routine and creativity.

praying for youth minister and her family

hi d rose

d twins enjoy your massage!!!

hi d lady
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:20 pm

yoga done (really hard today - no flexibility at all- pain in muscles)
did prevention warm up and arm exercises
lunch eaten: left over chicken with spinach/artichoke and onion with pasta 3/4 cup

dh has my car

I am so tired so I might take a nap. Thinking cold is getting the best of me.
dishes washed counters cleaned floor nothing
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi!!

2 new friends called this morning. 1 is headed somewhere 2 hours away to pick up medication for some reason. I don't know why she can't get it here. Maybe she has a doctor there, but it just seems so far away.

The other friend called me just after she did and invited me around to her place. So I went. Her house was so cold. Plus I wasn't dressed to be in a chilly house, as my house was quite warm this morning.

I come home and had something to eat and put a sweatshirt on.

Supper tonight is "pasta", as requested, so I think I will make some sort of sauce with meat, and a different type of noodle instead of spaghetti. Haven't decided what yet.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I have snow trails cleared, collected eggs. Hens are happy got 9 eggs today. Lunch is done. processed mail. No spinning done. We have fog here. Watching a vid. On how to do a kick starter project never heard of that before. I have a plan for dinner. Drink more water. It is up to 25 * here now.
Kitchen has been swept & mopped.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:13 pm

I had several impromptu meetings at school this afternoon. The right people at the right time to quickly get things coordinated and confirmed.
** I had IEP meeting with principal & speech therapist. Usually in an IEP meeting DS8 teacher meets with us too.....but he doesn't have one.
** Meet with Principal about DS8 taking the mandatory state test. Homeschooler in our state aren't required to take this test, but DS8 is associated with the school (somehow) so he needs to take the test. I'm okay with that.
** At lunch I visited with some of DS8 classmates and they told me they are taking practice tests already in prep for the state test (in April). Three months of practice for that test?!?!?!!! I asked the 3rd-grade teacher how to get the practice test, and she volunteered to make copies of hers so DS8 can practice before the test. I am mostly concerned about DS8 becoming familiar with taking tests where the answer sheet requires coloring in a bubble. I was told each test would be 100 questions so that is a lot answer/questions to keep coordinated and bubbles to color in! I don't want the first time he uses a bubble answer sheet to be the actual state tests. Hum.....I bet I can print some bubble answer sheets from the internet and start using those for answer sheets on our normal test.

The ice storm is supposed to hit here tomorrow. Today the school canceled all the homecoming events for tomorrow night (dinner, dance, game, etc). I had told DS8 that I would take him to the Monster Truck movie that starts tomorrow. I'm not sure we will be able to make it if the ice storm does happen. I'm going to take him skating tonight with some friends. That may have to be a substitute for the movie.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Phew! I've been working on this closet all afternoon. I have a hard time getting rid of papers. It's not that I'm "attached" to them or anything or that they're not sorted and there may be something really important among them that I need to take care of. My problem is that with the business I'm always thinking what could happen that I may need to go back a few years and find verification about?

Then there are the office supplies, folders, etc. that I'm not using. I might need those types of folders some day, etc. etc.

But I am working on it. I got rid of old truck insurance policies and some other stuff. I went through another 2 file cabinet drawers and packed up that 2016 stuff. Took the 2014 bags out to the permanent storage. That bin is now full. I will have 1 more full bin before all this is over and then slowly I will pare down and get rid of stuff as I feel safe to do so.

I guess one of the things is that if IRS ever audits and finds anything, they can go back as far as they want to check. We've never been audited and CPA says it's unlikely we'll ever be, given the size of our company. Plus we're as honest as we can be. But I guess that's my fear.

Oh well, I'll get a grip and continue here.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm back from dmom's and there are several issues there. I think dbro is getting more and more stressed out - he also says that he is dizzy at times. I need to call his son and get some help for dbro. He's also have difficulty with the small truck he drives - trusts it okay to get to dollar store near home but not much farther. His friend is supposed to work on it but dbro isn't sure he will get to it. I told him we could take it somewhere else and I would follow him to get him home. I really feel bad for dmom's dog - she is limping so badly and having difficulty with the steps and dmom just doesn't see it. Dog is so sweet and is dmom's companion but the time is coming that she will have to be put down, and dmom just doesn't see what's going on with her. Poor girl is grossly overweight and I think is suffering from the way she is groaning and limping about. And dbro says that mom isn't as chipper when it's just him around - says she's been having difficulty walking at times from a pain in her leg. And home health care was supposed to ck with her doc on it but apparently nothing has happened there. Altho, mom was walking better this afternoon apparently.

Even dbro believes we're getting to the point we need to consider a nursing home for her, especially if ddog is gone.

Lots on my mind right now. None of it is urgent but I need to do follow up.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 pm

Harmony, this is an Ob-Gyn practice and the other two partners deliver babies or do surgeries. This dr specializes in women's hormonal monitoring but is not an endocrinologist.

Nancy, egg-laying is getting better here. I got 3 eggs today. Put one back with "x"s marked on it to try to get them to lay where I want, which is always a disagreement with these girls. Years ago, I'd easily get hens to lay right beside the people door but these are contrary.

HRH and I went by the electric cooperative to get the paperwork right for my dparents' house. I still hadn't put the electric into my name.

We left the truck at the car shop - just thought it would be an inspection and oil but they say the serpentine belt needs replacing and so they have it overnight. Sigh.

Took car on to tractor supply for feed. Their calendars were on sale for half off and I found a 6-inch beagle one that "spoke" to me. We'll see what I use it for.

Then to grocery, which has been a need for a while.

Have called pharmacy 1 to get print-outs of our charges for 2016.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:57 pm

I got our pharmacy printouts today too.
Also got haircut...
Went to second drug store...
Went to post office...
Went to dbil's office and court house...
And to the park for some fun time with grands...
And bank...
And steakhouse...
AND finished ironing, sewed a button on a shirt, and walked away the pounds.

So it has been a busy day -- and I wish I could reply to a bunch of posts here -- but every time I get a chance to get on the computer, DH is on it!

It IS extremely hard to separate all the aspects of language arts, and it probably is not the ideal way to teach language arts anyway. Someone asked -- that was my subject -- high school English. That's a lot different than elementary school language arts, but there is still the pressure to cover grammar, literature, composition, vocabulary, and research skills. Generally, I tried to concentrate on grammar for 3 weeks and then literature for 3 weeks. All the other stuff was just incorporated into those main areas. But that's high school. Vocabulary/spelling and some of those basic foundations have to be laid in elementary school for high school teachers to be able to do their jobs.
LadyM, I would say you are on the right track to stay in touch with the public school teachers and learn how they incorporate the various different subjects -- then just relax -- anything you can add beyond that is a plus. You don't have to follow EVERY good program you find; you don't have to stick with any program forever -- you KNOW DS is better off right now with the individualization you can offer by homeschooling so... just relax and realize that you CAN'T do EVERYTHING that seems like an ideal plan (and neither can the public school teachers.) The HUGE advantage you have is the pupil-teacher ratio -- you CAN identify ds's weaknesses and concentrate on those in any "extra" time your school day provides. That's what is so lacking in the classroom with 25 or more students. So you are waaay ahead of the game. ANYTHING you do beyond the basic minimum is going to be a huge asset to DS --- so just don't worry if you're only doing a few of the extras you think you "should" be doing. Your DS is sooo fortunate to have you going this extra mile for him, and he is going to be FINE.
And BTW -- using bubble answer sheets for general kinds of tests is an EXCELLENT idea to get him used to the state tests. Hang in there!

(((Blessed & dd)))
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”