Saturday Soup

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Lilac

Re: Saturday Soup

Postby Lilac » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Kally, I see your light on. What are you getting? Take care.

Kally

Postby Kally » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Lilac and everybody else! We have nothing yet, in fact the sun is peeking out. Our worst time is supposed to be tonight and tomorrow morning, and then the ice will change to rain. My greatest fear is losing power. Praying that doesn't happen. I really hate ice storms. Stay safe!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Best wishes to all wondering where their ice is. I hope it is not treacherous for any of us.

lucylee, I also wondered why you were mentioning the property taxes figure. Our county doesn't do an accurate assessment of real value and prices paid never line up with the tax figure. But the fact that you mention it is swampy does sound as if this would not be the type of desirable property others might be.

Nancy, dd18 would not want to be without her wooden figure for drawing. I told her the one belonging to my online friend had broken and she wants me to tell you she would be sad, and she knows how you feel about needing to have one. She has not always treated hers well, but so far it is holding up.

I've picked her up from school and she will spend the night, go to church and have a ride back to campus tomorrow evening.

We went by the pharmacy, where they finally got HRH's prescription right, we hope. They did not have mine. Forgot to pick up our 2016 charges list.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:03 pm

No snow visible here except behind the skating arena where they empty the Zamboni machine. Same with ice. In the skating rinks. It's almost warm here with more warmer temps this week. So much for the Great White North above the United States. Igloos and all that...

Dh has taken the window trim off because the window guy made such a mess. The trim was hiding just how bad of a job he did. Some windows have no foam insulation between the window frame and the house and other windows have so much that the frame dh took down left an imprint an the excess foam... dh is growly about that. We have started to paint. A friend is coming over to give dh a hand filling the window frames with "mud". (Drywall mud)

Supper is in the oven cooking slowly.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:10 pm

I did get a new sketching maniquin sp? , and sketch book, & better double ended pens, the sketch book is not bound well broke and pages came out aftter one opening not good glue good thing I got it for 50% off. The pens were too. Store run done. Got Rx & food. Came home with out dining out. So cold and I wanted to get home. Food is put away. 20* outside here now.

I have another bobbin of wool spun up and the next one to ply with on this batch is 3/4's full. I have the first one / forth spun up of this batch. Done with this forth. I also remembered a batch of green wool that I had to return that was not color fast. So 2 big projets were failures last year. I am progressing back go more art these days.

We still have a couple inches of snow here on the ground. Should melt off this week. With flood warnings in low areas.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:05 pm

At the pub. Noisy tonight due to a private party upstairs and a male 'entertainer' doing his act. Can't think.

... There things are quieter now.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 pm

whoooh from Sunday

Cooler here today at only 33 c /91f as opposed to the 39c of yesterday. Clouds here and humidity about 84% so still steamy.

Not much has happened here. mostly. lots of reading on the veranda and a nap out there too in the afternoon.
I used often just sit here and cook in the heat, so am counting it as a strange win.
Am getting more regular with washing dishes touch wood and don't speak too soon.

Some things are going out.
I'm working up to fl new feb habit of tossing stuff in excess of requirements. (I have an allergy to the de...... word.) I'll need to call the habit something else. toss? Dispatch?
In the mean time I have half the month left to consolidate washing up/clear sink idea and get to enjoy that.

re teaching
LM - DS8 sounds to be a kinetic learner, and uses that process well. I just went down a rabbit hole, or many holes looking at links. Lots of links that cover the diversity of difficulties he has, including strep etc.
kudos to you for being up to home schooling, and to him for being creative in his approach.
re concentration - a piece of paper under the problem he is working on might help. I use that, or my fingers arranged under the line, if ever I need to read aloud to others.
It may help with the bubble math problem focus too.
Being active before he sits might extend the time he can sit still, with a promise of movement later. That would depend on how long the test was for, I guess.

years/ decades ago I took a book from the library (remedial teaching) and it suggested numbered discs to 100.
They could be arranged in a 10 x 10 square, or to represent any a x b in rows and columns (to 100), in a different rectangle showing the result in the right hand column.
My own thought is one set a week would be enough of an ask. Lots of play and manipulation. and examples of sharing x things with y people, how many things do I need, and the reverse. Lots of positives.

Mindfulness?
a big ballgame. Being in the moment.
I had a friend decades ago who diagnosed imaginitis - inflammation of the imagine gland, that spews out horrid discharge affecting ones thought process. It is good to get to recognise a case of imaginitis when it occurs as it can have devastating results if left to fester unchecked.
Mindfulness. Just be doing what you are doing. No other thought required.
Relaxation for kids - there used be great resources to teach relaxation to kids. Vague memories of Tommy Turtle. Its been a long time since my kidlets were needing that. Looking online - it seems not to be poem /exercise about tension and relaxation any longer. (Tommy turtle would curl into his shell and hold, then release head and limbs to stretch out. enjoy the stretched out feeling. repeat.)

Kudos to the iC family for their outreach to NF. Prayers for NFD11 as she finds her way to peace.

Church this morning.
grocery store basic food and also
I bought a new hose. and attachment for repair of the old one I cut the split bit out of, and new head so I can keep one to by the back tap. Also new secateurs.

And now its 35c.
I need to wash inc my shelf bra singlet tops and light weight shorts for future hot days.
I don't think it will rain anytime soon. The clouds are the lid on the pot to steam us.
And fix lunch.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:45 pm

Another day done. I wish I'd gotten everything finished, but I tried.

Kathryn, sorry about your nose. That happens when the pneumatics on the arms that hold up a hatch fail too. Ask me how I know...

I did get out of the house again, stopped for a bite to eat, and down to the library first before it closed. Walking around, just a short distance, and by the time I was done my knee was so sore I didn't think I could do the supermarket.

I did drive down to the law firm in the next town to see where their office is. Amazing. While I was not paying any attention the town grew up around everything in that area, I didn't recognize anything. And I used to work 3 blocks away from there. Drove around the side streets, found the parking lot, which was not easy because there's lots all over but I couldn't get from one to the other because of fences or ditches or bushes. So I figured it out and glad I did for an easy Tuesday morning trip.

Ah well, off to bed with my stiff and sore knee. Hopefully it'll be better in the morning.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 am

Harmony: ours are still working fine, if anything a bit stiff so I gave it a good pull downwards!

Spent the evening on a sign. Actually, I had started the sign before dinner but asked for suggestions and then spent the evening incorporating the good suggestions. Now I have three designs to choose from so printed those as a single pdf and sent them off for more criticism.

There's a fine line between be collaborative and being efficient. I may have crossed to the wrong side tonight.

Off to bed now.

My service is ready for tomorrow so that's good. I'm thinking of skipping church in the morning. If we go, it will be out in the village since the city church will be depressing (they are working through the unexpected death of their youth minister.)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:13 am

Ice, ice, go away.
Our villagers don't need you in the way.

Stone Soup - yes, I do remember it well.

I visited my colorist. So I'll peg that at 3 weeks, like the box says. Needed it this time, though, which I wish it didn't in just 3 weeks.

:idea: A couple weeks back, it was mentioned - having to go out when you needed to color and hadn't been able to, and have a strip through the hair you wish wasn't there. Check out the liquid wand type touch-up products, which sometimes work well. Names I can find here are kind of funny - there is No-Gray, and CoverYourGray. I may have already mentioned here that somewhere in a efficiency blog I read marker would work in a pinch - it's not touching the skin after all. For me, the only solid I tried (lipstick-like, only harder) was yucky.

There's some anxiety for me about tomorrow at church and in meeting. I also dread that people will ask me about the letters they expect for end-of-year and I'll have to say I still haven't been given the go-ahead decision on what paper. That doesn't even sound reasonable.

Return to “Post When You Can”