Sunday Start Up

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Sunday Start Up

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Howdy, Blessed!

On our way home from church. Totally, physically, exhausted.

Phoned our senior friend about visiting but she is sick. In a way I am relieved but know the energy would come if we had gone.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:55 pm

I have had a nap. It has been snowing lightly all day but not adding up, up to 18* here. We've had lunch. Trying to watch captin america. I have the 2 girls tomorrow nearly all day so trying to rest ul a bit. Need to mix up cookies for lunches h got in to the ones I made the other day only one left.

Saw a very talkitive friend at the thrift store yesterday the clingy kind that make you sort of cringe and want to get away from if you are not in a "up" mood. Sigh I must not have been up for it.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:43 pm

Home. Put everything away from today. Changed into jeans and warm sweater, have blankets and pillows and am ready to settle onto the couch to watch some Netflix.

Sent an email to MF, inviting him for dinner and a Netflix movie sometime soon. Of course, with our schedules, only Mon & Tue this week are even a possibility until next month!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:11 pm

My morning was a mixed bag. The meeting was, for the first time, explained as a budget-only meeting. Many had no idea until this morning. The way I know it was a failed meeting is that so many - like 10 or 12, which is lot for us - had complaints and questions afterward. There were so many questions after the meeting that many spent 20 to 30 minutes staying afterward just talking things out, and I answered a lot of questions then, too. Obviously, that's not the way it should go. I feel I could have done more to help, although I certainly brought more new info than anyone. Actually, that was part of the problem, in that there wasn't time to digest, and nothing should have been brand new.

Ds has given me a lesson in using my phone that was a lot of help. Many little things I've been working too hard to do, when there were short-cuts. Then he heard how much I'm paying, stared in confusion at my bill, got me to give permissions, and he talked to a rep and found big mistakes in how I've been charged, even though I'd asked for the opposite of what was being done. It was frustrating, but will save money now. Any money lost in the past is just lost. Ver izon takes no responsibility, of course.

In fact, over time, in taking care of my own or work and church finances, I'd say "telephone" is the category of budgeting in which I have seen overcharging more often than any other. Even now, the church has had a royal increase from AT and T and I've had to complain. The "retention team" is going to send the church (to a church, now) a Visa gift card because of our trouble. What? That is more trouble than it's worth.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Waving from Monday
bedtime was 12.05. lights out 12.15
woke to eyes open 7.30
took tmeds
dressed
LOL on
want to attend something on my list smorgasbord today.
hopefully rinse and repeat.

praying for LMFs DGS5. and his dgps. and the 'system' he/they are in.

Last night we were talking about reactions to the hot weather.
We are all so 'soft' now a/c seems a must.
I recalled the days when only real complaints were about the 108f days.
And I used tell myself not to complain until temps were 40c indoors. 104f.

Prayers for the pregnant wife of dirt bike rider who died of heat stroke near here in the last few days. Young and fit, with a good career. I guess the 'uniform' of safety gear (if he was wearing it) would have added to his problems.

Prayers and blessings for your days and nights. and the weather implications there too. the other side of the coin.

Waving to Harriet
Prayers for your communities too.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Weakly waving hello from sickville over here.

Dh had put a layer of Kilz and 2 layers of primer. The kitchen looks amazing and the paint "Natural white" isn't even up yet. This week will see the measuring for the counter top and the back splash. It could all be finished by this time next Sunday.

I had a very long nap this afternoon. Dh still hadn't finished the first coat of primer when I went to bed.

Dh is BBQing some steaks and potatoes. I am not hungry.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:37 pm

(((Cathy))) I'm so sorry you're still feeling miserable.

Lynlee said:
We are all so 'soft' now a/c seems a must.
I recalled the days when only real complaints were about the 108f days.
And I used tell myself not to complain until temps were 40c indoors. 104f.

:shock: :shock: :shock: 104 indoors??? Oh. My. Goodness. I would MELT.
I am so "soft" that I don't want it indoors above 76f... or below 72 or so. We keep our thermostat on 73 year round. And I am definitely happiest when the outdoor temp is between 60-80.
When I was growing up, we always had window unit air conditioners, and I had one in my bedroom, but I remember my grandparents using large electric fans for the most part. So -- yes, I was born before everyone had central units with thermostats, but I'm still awfully "soft." I'll not deny that!

Harriet, meetings like that are sooo sooo frustrating. * sheesh * Just a waste of time, everyone seems to leave knowing less than they did when they got there. I hope after all the dust settles, you can get the coming year better organized to your liking. Maybe everyone will see just how ridiculous things have been running.
WTG to your ds, though, getting the phone bill under control. I really need to do that with dmom's. She could do it herself, but just hasn't wanted to take the time.

:?: ANOTHER PHONE QUESTION:
I seem to be using more data now than ever before. I don't know if it's just because of more travel through the holidays or what. I'm kinda concerned b/c I was forced by F acebook to do the Messenger app. Does it use data even when I'm not sending and receiving messages? I thought it was just dgs playing with my weather & map apps, so I quit letting him do that unless we are on wi-fi, so what else could it be?
I just got a message that I had used 75% of this month's data, and I've got 10 more days to go... :roll:

Nancy -- when I first saw your post, I thought, "Does that say up to 18 INCHES of snow there?" Then I thought, no, maybe it's just WARMED up to 18 DEGREES? Either way... (((HUGS))).

(((LadyM))) ((((LadyM's dfriend))))
I just cannot imagine dgs being taken away from all of us and locked up like that. Please keep us posted as to how the visit goes and what is going on with this. I mean... I guess a small child COULD be so out of control that he/she could pose a danger to others around here, and obviously, the school was concerned after the pencil stabbing incident... but OTOH... I just keep thinking how this child must be scared to death now. Sooo sad. He has obviously been through a rough time if the grandparents are raising him and then the grandfather's health scare recently certainly must have affected him, and it's just too much to comprehend. Praying for all of them.

Oh -- Harriet and Twins -- maybe others of you -- mentioned that tax assessments are generally lower than market value. Dmom pointed this out, too, but didn't seem too shocked at dh's price to the neighbors. As Harriet said, this land is NOT as desirable as the average acre in the county. There is no way they can hope to expand it further; we own all that borders on two sides and they are locked in by subdivision houses on the other two sides. They would have to spend a FORTUNE to bring it up to standards for development. DFIL (unlike DH, ;) ) WAS a very careful businessman, and if there was any way houses could have been built on it, he would have added one more street and subdivided it when he developed this area to begin with. In times of drought, the tractors can get in there and bushhog, but otherwise, it is just a muddy swamp, and the only way in or out is through their yards or our pasture. So, yes, the price is ridiculously low by most people's standards, but if dh feels it is fair, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.
I sent texts to the three neighbors I know, asking if they wanted the strips behind their houses or if they would be happy to let the first person have it all. Now waiting to see how that goes. Praying the two in the corner don't want to fight over their portion...

Church this morning, then I got all my "stuff" done and took a long nap. Must go to Wmart soon.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:54 pm

12* outside here now. Br-r. 18* was our hi temp. Today. We have apx. 2" of snow in front mode in back on the north side of the house. I baked cookies. Huddling under a quilt. It is nearly time to do the last of the hen chores for today. I need a plan for dinner meat pies will do & heat up the kitchen a bit too. We have fog that is keeping the sun out. I have spun up nearly another bobbin of single ply wool.

Speaking of tech issues. phones etc. I have to reset my pass word for my email that wants a phone # tablet doesn't call or I do not want it to the yahoo idiots do not seem to get it that not everyone wants to secure stuff w a phone. Sigh! I will have to reset the tablet one too ... sigh pain in ths kyster. I did that!
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:58 pm

LucyLee - I don't know what kind of phone you have but you should be able to see what is using the data. On Android phones - go to settings and look under "Data Usage". My biggest data user is usually OneNote. I depend on this software to track almost everything, so it is acceptable to me to be my biggest data usage. One time I let DS8 use my phone to watch video's while we were waiting for something. It used my entire month of data! I only made that mistake once.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:54 pm

DGD5 kept guessing at DS8 password on his kindle until it reset itself to default factory configuration. I got it set back up and registered with Amazon again. During this setup process, we discovered it has Alexa capabilities. DS8 is having fun asking Alexa question after question. He just turned to me and said "Alexa can help me do my school work!" ha ha Good try.

We are having a thunderstorm and DDog wants to be right next to me. He is following me room to room.

Where is Helia?
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”