Saturday sharing

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Saturday sharing

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:00 pm

In Pembroke. The B&B is wonderful.

We've walked 1.5 miles so far and are having pizza now on the opposite side of town. I will have leftovers but dh ate all his.

We need to walk back now. The plan is to spend the night reading by the fireplace.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:50 pm

I'm 100 steps short of my 10K for the day but had a few extra over the week so I may end up tomorrow only have to get 9K.

I only ate 1/4 of a large pizza for my dinner. The leftovers are in the car and I could have them for lunch on our way home. Or at least one of the slices. I'm feeling overwhelmed by poor nutrition at the moment so hope to eat my cut veggies this evening so kept them in the room. Our room doesn't have a fridge but if I don't finish them, perhaps I can put them in the fridge off the dining room.

The weather here is just above freezing so 2/3 of the walk was very pleasant. The sidewalks weren't clear for the last 1/3 and that was more challenging walking. Good for burning more calories. According to my fitbit, I was moving for 62 minutes which is about what I'd expect for 3 miles, the amount I needed to walk. So, despite the sidewalks, I was able to average 3 mph which is as fast as I go on the treadmill (unless walking to a really fast beat song.)

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:43 pm

DS8 in taking a bath in the back bathroom. I'm sitting with DGD5 while she takes a bath in the guest suite. She loves playing in the bathtub and considers 30 minutes a short bath. :) She talks non-stop so I don't have to look at her all the time she is in the bathtub, but just be within hearing distance. That means I can work on lesson plans and walk to the printer to retrieve the lesson plans as I finish them. 17 of 20 subjects are planned.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:06 pm

I just found today this download for an Editable Menu Planner that is helping me. In case anyone else appreciates being able to quickly/neatly type in what you need to say on a printable menu chart, I thought I'd post.

It's 3 daily meals for 7 days, on a 8.5x11 sheet to print, which I actually find the most helpful method, to help me visualize what will be in the fridge, either to cook or as leftovers. Also, most all the words already here are editable as well as the blanks. So you could change to "brunch", "snack" or "supper" , for instance, or change days of the week in order to have two family members' menus going at a time or whatever personalized need.

At first I didn't know what to do with "To Do" over at the right, but it dawned on me to type in "freeze leftover soup" or "refrigerate leftovers for one day" or "for two days" since I can often plan lunches with leftovers from the evenings. On a day I know I'll have no leftovers, I can type "nothing to save, clean out refrigerator".

If you really need to type a lot in one space, it will automatically go to a smaller font to show it all.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Saturday was a hot day again, My eyes sore from the bush fires to the north east with its revolving forced evacuations, mind numb from the tragedy in Melbourne with a person gone very wrong on Friday, more deaths expected, and needs of people turned instant care givers to injured and dying.
I went to the movies and its cool. Collateral Beauty. My first time in the newly converted from a civic center to small multiplex. (Prev there was one theatre, then the hall with odd seating was used as additional theatre.)
The theatre I was in would sit 55, and I believe anywhere anywhere in front of the back row would be too close for me. Seats were comfortable. Maybe 2nd back row in a pinch, but I moved from there yesterday.
With the few who attend, back row sitting will hopefully keep being a possibility. Hope the business can be sustainable all the same. (there were 7 of us there, I think.) When we left, the ticket line was fairly long.
Movie was thought provoking - especially after it ended. Like - who was really doing that intervention?
I want to see Lion.

Sunday
church
spoke some tai chi friends, and others.
breakfast
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Prayers continue for Dee's recovery back to wellness,
and the Harmonies recuperation and healing,
our faith communities and leadership there,
and us an all
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Harriet love those tips. I have been playing a bit of catch up here this afternoon, I got the dishes loaded and ran the dish washer, rounded up the laundry and it's going now. Clipped the dogs nails after she claw me again 2nd time on two days owie. Mixed up cookie dough and baked a few up. Have exercise done except the last ten min. On the ex. bike.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:48 pm

It must be time for me to go to bed. I read Harriet's link as Edible Meal Planner!

Lynlee: the theatre dh goes to is one of those, plus it is a second run theatre, as well. He goes to the morning showings (only $3.50 instead of $7, with a regular movie theatre being $11.50 - $12.00 without 3D or any of the special stuff, up to $24 with.) Yesterday there were only 5 people in the theatre. Since they have to pay rent all the time, and I assume they pay for the movie by the day, not the showing, the only increased cost per viewing is 2 staff members. One to manage the snack counter (and you pay there in the mornings) and one to actually start/stop the movies. So maybe $30 per hour total additional costs. There are 5 theatres, so even if there are only five people in each theatre and no-one buys a drink or popcorn, they are probably still making $30 per morning. Then in the afternoons, there are more people and by after school, the theatre is often 3/4 full and everyone is paying $7.00 a ticket, and likely snacking as well.

Off to bed now. I showered and washed my hair so I don't have to do it in the morning.

I ate all my cut veggies while going over my service multiple times. Then I read 1/3 of a book that was loaned to me. It is a vanity publication, the story of the author's parents' lives. Her mother survived the Nazi death camps and her father the Japanese POW camps and Nagasaki. Not sure if I'm enjoying it. I'll trust it gets better. (hint - they survive, have a family, get cancer, live some more, watch their daughter get cancer and beat it, then they die - all that was in the introduction.)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:55 pm

the figure to carry it off (or any of the white outfits without looking like a snowman),

:lol: Yes, Kathryn. White IS a very demanding color, isn't it? I would definitely look like a snowman in Melania's white dresses. DDIL refuses to wear any sort of white pants/shorts or khaki that might be light enough to pass for white. I'm not crazy about it either, but will wear khaki of all shades.

She loves playing in the bathtub and considers 30 minutes a short bath. :) She talks non-stop so I don't have to look at her all the time she is in the bathtub, but just be within hearing distance.

That is how dgs is, LadyM. He is NEVER quiet.
(((HUGS))) for you, needing your quiet time. I definitely know what you mean, b/c even when it is just dh & me here, there is always sooo much going on -- radio and/or tv constantly.
I admit, sometimes when I am home alone, I turn on something like that just to keep myself company -- but I also enjoy the quiet sometimes, too.

Well -- sharing my Saturday adventure --
Went to college town for basketball game, just dh & me, and wonder of wonders -- we WON -- by TWENTY POINTS (84-64) against that Other School in our state. ;) (Sorry, Rose, if I sound like I'm gloating. It was a really good game -- tied up at halftime, I think. Maybe y'all were ahead by one point?) It was exciting, that's for certain.
Came home and picked up dgs and he's spending the night.
He is searching for cities on my weather app right now, and shouting out whatever he finds. For example, he types in a state -- but it gives him a city -- so we have learned that there is a New Mexico, Maryland... Hawaiian Gardens, California... Kentucky Heights, Tennessee. It is an endless game for him, and his favorite thing to do at our house, I think. (I just realized my step counter is going to be great for today, :D b/c he keeps running from the den to the computer room to tell me the latest city he has found.)
Tomorrow is another day.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:18 am

Still up...should be in bed... but I napped so much on and off today. Just really tired for some reason. Thought for a while I might be coming down with something, but now I think it was just me being tired.

DH still hobbling. He did go out in garage and cut some wood and asked me to help put it together. Someone at church had asked him to make a ramp for someone in the neighborhood and it had to be fitted over 2 steps from a door. We got it together and into the car and out to the house. Installing was pretty easy.

DH went straight to bed when we got back, I made dinner, and vegged rest of the day. Hope we are both doing better tomorrow. I will probably have to drive both of us to church and drop him at door. Heaven forbid he would stay home one Sunday.

Y'all have talked about the problem with small groups. They are nice, but in my experience, no one wants to host. I did it for about 3 years. One other lady would have it in her house, but she lived the farthest away and it was a real trip getting there. When she got ill and couldn't do it I had it here over and over and I actually couldn't keep up with it all. I had trouble even getting someone else to commit to bringing a snack. When the last group was more people who wouldn't share etc. I gave up and sent an email around that I wasn't doing it any more. That group disbanded.

We joined another where they had been together for quite a few years and it's hard to come into a group that is already bonded together, you end up being the newcomer. After 7 years that couple said they didn't want to lead or host any more. Someone else is hosting and the leader is changing most weeks. If it wasn't for DH wanting to do it I think I'd skip it for a while.

Return to “Post When You Can”