Sunday Savor

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Lilac

Re: Sunday Savor

Postby Lilac » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:12 pm

We have started the ship lap project. The almost 10 ft. wall is what we are working on. Those 1 x 6 boards looks so straight until you try to put them on a wall. Using a nail gun, a screw gun with 2 1/2" screws, a mallet, crowbar and a square, dh is managing to get them on straight. Oh, also he glues the backside before we put it in place. So far we have done 3 and need to do 4 more. Dh doesn't want to quit until that wall is done.

Lot of waiting while we are doing this and I was thinking of DDee. I am so glad that her dh is with her and not up north for some reason. That would have added stress for everyone.

Wondering how Mr. Harmony is doing today. Relieved that he has an appt tomorrow and can find out what is going on.

I am going to have to cook tonight. We ate out 2 of the last 3 nights and Friday night I picked up P opeye's chicken. That is not our normal at all but we sure enjoyed all 3 meals.

helia

Postby helia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks for understanding my small group frustrations last night, Harriet. I know you're so involved in your church that you do truly understand.

Everything last night turned out just fine, as these things usually do. I think God orchestrates things this way from time to time to show me where my attitude needs adjusting, where I need to be compassionate rather than judgmental and critical. Some members have really hard things going on in their lives and so hosting is harder/more complicated for hem than it is for us. Dh helped a lot getting ready, and there ended up only being 7 adults, including dh and me, and 3 kids. I ordered about 2 too many pizzas -- but managed to send 1.5 home with one of the women for her teenage sons at home.

I fell asleep last night around 9 pm after I had finished stretching (more vigorous stretches I do after I run) and doing my back exercises. Actually, I was lying flat on my back on my bed relaxing after my back exercises. I jogged 6 miles yesterday afternoon -- that is the farthest I've ever run! I was fine, but I think that was why I was so tired last night.

Sounds like a nice day, sunny.
I'm thinking of Rrose's weekend and Dee too. I know Twins is away, but I'm not sure where. Maybe if I pop on fb, something will be there.
I wonder if Kathryn got to visit dd and the baby today?
I'll have to look at that menu planner, though I do have my system in place already.
Hello everyone whom I haven't mentioned by name!

This has been a regular low-key Sunday. Dh stayed home from church b/c he had 9 papers to edit for submission tomorrow morning. There are 12 total, but he had 3 done on Saturday. I think he's down to 3 more right now, but he says these are difficult ones. The C family came over for lunch -- I picked up some Mexican food. Then, I took a 2 hour nap this afternoon. I seem to be catching up on sleep. I guess I was tired. I've been to the groc. store, not the big trip but just for odds and ends that we're out of. I'll make the big trip for meals Monday or Tuesday; we're fine for meals the next 2 nights. Dd18 is currently en route home from Pur due where she spent the weekend visiting her BFF.

Things I still need to do today after dinner:
- Hebrew translation work
- grade essays for work
- work on NY cards

Next for me -- call my parents.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Helia - Twins is traveling to a genealogy thing in Salt Lake City.

Bread is rising. DGS19 keeps wanting to hurry through the bread making process. He is learning that patience is a big part of making bread from scratch.

DS8 has a new verbal tic. Groan...... Verbal tics are VERY ANNOYING and distracting. Right now everyone is annoyed with the repeating sounds. repeating. repeating. repeating 10000000000 times. Understanding it is one thing. Living with it is a challenge. Thankfully I've learned my brain becomes able to ignore the sounds of the verbal tics after a few weeks. In the mean time.....the new verbal tic is a constant irritation.

Now I'm frustrated with several people pushing us to get DS8 back into public school. Especially DS8 pediatrician. There is no way DS8 could sit in a classroom with this verbal tic. AND why are we giving DS8 medication for Tourette's if it isn't working? I can feel my frustration building. let it go...... let it go......

DGS19 has no patience with DS8 constant verbal tic. He told us to tape DS8 mouth shut or give him more meds to stop it. Now I'm in Mama Bear mode and annoyed with DGS19 as well as being distracted and frustrated.

putting my "cranky hat" on because I'm obviously in a mood.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:11 pm

This post sat around and waited to post - didn't realize!

LadyM, about chattiness, just yesterday ds briefed me on his road trip to Kentucky. He rode with another fellow, they picked up a vehicle for purchase, and ds drove that back. One thing he complimented about the many folks they met while there was that they were all talkative. He and I agreed that we really like talkative people - both the openness, and the confidence that there is something worthwhile, something meaningful to say.

A couple of those folks will find out Monday morning that their two visitors put in strong comment/compliments to personnel.

Today was a good Sunday at church. Only 2 people from the music program - me and pianist - were present for rehearsal and when minister arrived, the 3 of us decided to skip my contribution as well and assume everyone knew the pieces well enough not to be led. It was totally not my fault, a fact of which minister reminded me. And it was a humorous enough moment to keep it light, then, at the first of the day, and let me go home, so I did not have to join in the awkward moment of deciding whether to make an appearance at the enforced SS class.

Back for worship, I was able to make contact with every one of the envelope address-ees who came, anyway. Afterward I had a quick, casual meeting with some folks who are, I believe, going to make my life easier. Now to make one letter revision, toss on stamps and address the last 15, and the end-of-year tasks will be complete so I can finally have JANUARY! :roll: :)

Hmmm... .. should say that I mean January is usually such a calmer, refreshing month, with less stress.

lol, LadyM, there I was responding to earlier post about your dgs19's chat and now you are :roll: with him on a different subject entirely. Of course! That's par for the course.

Lilac .... ship....? I believe I missed something about a ship?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Forgot to tell that it is my birth-ing day and dd is 37. Called her and chatted for a while. They married on her birthday, too, so it's always a celebratory time. Her boys made her a surprise cake - certainly assume Daddy helped with that! Last evening the two of them went to a Lebanese restaurant for something new and memorable, and they enjoyed it. She had some wisdom for me from her recent Bible study, so part of our chat was a bit deep. That was good for both of us.

What up with ya'll for the coming week?

My desk is trashed - I need an intervention there. Even if only to get ready for the next project for taxes, etc.

I showed off my editable menu to ds - he has never seen his mother with a hard-copy plan of what she was going to have for meals a week later! :lol:

blessed says I am a good cook, and in the sense that I can follow directions I am. I remember Ken in Canada's explanation of "assembling" well, and think I resemble assembling! blessed, on the other hand, has what I consider some very complex kitchen mastery. I have to search my memory drawers :? for just a little knowledge of some of the methods she knows well from experience. She's also taught her children very well and now she and dh get the benefit of that.

Btw, it has never quit raining here. We are a soppy wet world at the moment.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Finally home.

We overshot home and swung by dd's place. Glad we did. Dd and dsil borrowed the car (I had suggested they could do that from time to time) and we babysat. She fed dgs before she left, then fed herself lunch (it was about 3:45) and then changed him and left shortly after four. Dh and I took turns amusing the lad and he was good for almost an hour and then wanted to be fed.

We heated up the breastmilk left for that purpose and sang to him while we waited for that to happen. He loved "Les Raftsmen" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4u7nt1gUX0 ) especially the Bing Bang! He'd smile when we got to the part and often goo after we'd sing it.

He took the bottle just fine, snuggled in with me. He started to push it away so I shifted him up to burp him and he promptly fell asleep so I held him for an hour that way! (Pic in MO.)

He does this cute thing. He'll start to wake up and in the in-between sleep/wake state be looking at me through slitted eyes. If you smile at him, he'll smile back and then drift off to sleep again. Talk about melting my heart!

They came back to a sleeping baby which was a relief for dd. This is the first time they left him at home and went out (last time I took him while they were at the movie.) As well, it is the first time he's taken a bottle since he rejected one dsil offered. It (and this one) smelled off due to lipase and they weren't sure if it was the smell or the fact that she was at home last time that made him refuse the bottle. They have their answer.

We left their place at 7 and stopped in a McD's for a quick supper before getting home by 8.

I've unpacked everything, put away laundry that I did before leaving and need to hang up the load I started when getting home.

Looking forward to the next week, I'm completely overwhelmed with all I have to do.

Plus I need to have a long talk with MF. He's going to call me during his drive back from Toronto so we can go over what's up. He has to start communicating with someone. Doesn't have to be me but as Harriet said, people who are talkative give a sense of openness. The reverse is also true so he appears secretive or pompous to others. This is causing great conflict with one of his churches. He needs to work through this and learn to communicate better so that's my goal with him tomorrow.

He wrote me while I was cuddling dgs so I wrote him back while at McD (really short) and then sent the photo I posted in MO, apologizing for the delay in writing back and telling him that he had dropped to the bottom of my priority list because I was holding a sleeping baby.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Smiling because Kathryn posted the photo in the wrong thread. (smile) in SHE get-togethers. It is a get-together, yes, but she may want to post it in the other thread before we comment and then someone wonders which SHE we are saying is so adorable while asleep. (Not that every one of us wouldn't fit the description, of course.)

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Happy Birthing Day Harriet!

Harriet, we ran into a problem after the new vanity top was set. The wall is not plumb, so even putting tile on the wall next to it will still leave a big gap. Dh came up with idea of using ship lap instead, because these boards are 1" thick and will cover the gap. On H GTV there is a show called F ixer U ppers and they do a lot of ship lap. In our case we are using 1" x 6" boards and putting them horizontally on the wall with an 1/8" space between each. If we decided to do this then we wouldn't be using bead board. We hadn't found any that was a good enough quality yet, so this idea kills two birds with one stone. So that is the ship lap saga at the never ending bath remodel at Lilac's.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:03 am

Too tired to post in the right thread but I managed to move it to the correct thread from my tablet.

I'll count that as a big accomplishment and now turn out the light. See you in the morning.

Return to “Post When You Can”