Wednesday On Watch

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Wednesday On Watch

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:56 am

Weterns and war movies and science fiction often have someone "on watch" at a chancy time, just in case the cattle stampede or ships appear on the horizon, or the invisible alien comes near the force field. They are very helpful.

But homemakers are on watch just about all the time. We watch for hundreds of possibilities around our homes and on behalf of our families. Many of the things we're watching for are second nature to us. We keep records, replace batteries, monitor supplies, hold on to warranties, and squint or frown if we don't like the trends we see. There's a lot we head off at the pass.

How are you "on watch" for your household these days?
What's not getting past you, if you can help it? :)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Wednesday On Watch

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:36 am

I feel like everything is getting past me these days.

Hmmm, I'm on watch for ds and his depression. I tend to drop everything when he contacts me not because I spoil him but because I worry about him. We'll go 7 - 10 days without direct contact (I watch for his posts on facebook to make sure he's alive) but when he calls, he becomes top priority.

I'm on watch for other people. Listening to their words, watching their actions and deciding if I need to say something. I ignore dh the most so the effusive praise about how clean the apartment looked could be a sign that he was silently being overwhelmed by the mess. So I need to watch out for that.

And I'm always on watch for my SAD. I miss it from time to time and then have to work my out of the fog (I might be in that situation now.)

As well, I'm watch for my watch (the time) and note I have 25 minutes to finish breakfast and get out of here.

My goal before that happened was to get an email written. Instead, I cleared out my hotmail in-box and printed off a 20% off coupon for my Sodastream refill but that's it.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:20 am

That's interesting about listening to loved ones and watching their actions. I wonder if I do that unconsciously with those beyond my close family, too. That's when our "emotional quotient" kicks in. Our perhaps our empathy.

Lately I'm on watch about (against?) the PaperTiger more than anything. It's true getting taxes done is a looming chore. But more than that, general organizing is very important. I'm unhappy with the way the office area is - both visually (eeewww) and with the concern it gives me that I'm somehow missing something. I need to be on watch for a lot of paperwork and feel confident.

Also all 3 of the older children come to me with needs, to use my desk, computer, printer, or to scan something or whatever. Neither ds or dstepson have set up their office areas in their houses yet, and dd37 is truly at loose ends when she's here but brings responsibility with her. I'm sure my desk seems so much more approachable than HRH's, and I do want them all to feel free to ask. It's just way past time to handle this space.

Yesterday after some PaperTaming I had come here to complain ( ;) ) and mentioned that I might time myself. After starting with the countdown timer at online-stopwatch.com I put in another 1.5 hours, complained again in PaperTamers thread :) and put in another 1 hour. But I think I forgot to record a few times and actually worked longer. I know I didn't count looking up file storage that I might shop for at the Office Despot. So I'm sure I went over 3 hours yesterday and probably hit 4.

So, blessed, I lived up to your "do your best" advice!

Early To-Dos today:
water/deadhead the primrose
make out vitamin shop list - find coupon
call and make an appt with tax lady
make out Angel Tree report - send if possible

Eventual Errands:
vitamin shop
office store
bank branch near those two

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 am

Good morning everyone! I am watching my finances. The budget is bad this month. I am also collecting info for my financial advisor. There is a small (<200) account I need to consolidate somewhere, portfolio re-balancing, and there is a class action lawsuit related to my prior refinancing. It would be nice if a little money would come my way there. I doubt it would be much though. Also have to be on watch for geezer kitty's health.

I did pretty much nada last night. DD14 had math homework. She is so sloooooooow at it. Accurate, because she checks her answers multiple times, but DANG! I tried to teach her some techniques to get it done faster, but she may not be confident enough to use them. However, after spending 45 minutes on the first two and realizing there were three more, she was going to consider them. I did remember to get gasoline. It is horribly awfully hellishly cold.

I am working on a Spanish version of an application. I need to decide how to handle it (lookup table?). It may be just English and Spanish now, but could expand to Diné, Navaho, and even Korean!

ETA: The president of the animal org just sent an email requesting that Deputy Troublemaker take charge of finding the venue for our biggest fundraiser. She and Chief Troublemaker want to change to a different venue and use a new name, eliminating all "brand recognition" and all the goodwill we have built up over the years with the regular venue. Their rationale was "change is good, very good". I said I thought we were supposed to discuss venue and name changes at the next board meeting (early Feb). I also reminded them of New Coke.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:59 am

CUOP while DS8 writes a 5-page book. NOT a real book, but 2 sheets of 8x11" paper folded in half and stapled together. That gives him a Title page, Table of Content and 4 pages to write a sentence or two about some aspect of a subject and the final page for the summary. All this writing progress came from the recommendation from RR for the 4 square writing method!! Thank you RR!! This method takes writing process and breaks it down into ridiculous easy steps. The steps are so easy that the writing happens without over thinking the process. Two weeks after starting using this method he has written 5 "books". This is such a big confidence builder!

Homeschool day #115 will be a short one in hours, but we are making good progress. We have finished 10 subject lessons already and DS8 is working on the 11th lesson now. We have another hour of school to do still before stopping for lunch.

3 hours away from visiting puppy. I keep telling DS8 we will not bring the puppy home with us if it isn't the right one. We need a puppy with a good attitude. Just in case this is the right puppy, I have ordered a dog crate and 2 puppy chew things.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:25 pm

I also reminded them of New Coke.
Elizabeth.
LOL! Love this.

Car would not start today not surprised. I am at peace cannot really explain it however. H. Said he can get the part & the mechanic at work will put it on the truck will save us some but it will be down another week. Looki g on the bright side the truck got him savely to work the other day and it is ok for it to be there while we work this out & do not have to have it towed. I did not really have any plans. A good time to catch up on dusting today and laundry. Sigh we have 4 rigs & I am still stranded at home think some one is trying to tell me something? :roll: car will not start and it is not the battery we had that checked.

Txted h the weather forecast for his route today he did not have time to watch it gotta love technology.

Glad for so much progress yesterday on my BWP.
Cook breakfast tky. sausage x
I see we had a bit more snow and there is a high fog inversion.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Update: Deputy Troublemaker has (in her words) "declined your offer" of actually arranging the venue. She is willing to propose radical changes, then vote to force them on everyone, and take credit if they succeed. However, neither she nor the Chief Troublemaker is willing to do anything other than give "little bits" of work to others and brag on themselves. I think I will call the org pres and see if she wants me to take on calling the original venue. Of course, the two troublemakers will chastise me if it is not a blazing success, but their opinion means about as much to me as the opinion of a three year old having a tantrum.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:09 pm

On the road. The potential puppy is located in an extremely rural location. The roads are narrow gravel as we leave more populated areas. I just hope we keep cell coverage so Google maps can continue to give direction.
1. Know what you want.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Last edited by LadyMaverick on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Know what you want.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi everyone!

Any word on Dee? I miss her posts.

I watched the painter finish the living room!! WOO HOO!! The tiles are supposed to get finished tonight for the floor... but our friend is taking someone to the Toronto airport "at some time" today. We don't know if he will be here tonight or not, which is okay.

I also stood back and watched 2000 gallons of water get delivered to our cistern this morning.

Tonight we are having spaghetti and meat sauce.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Return to “Post When You Can”